• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

100 Days Of No Goal-setting

• Thread starter Deleted member 31998
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 31998

So I've been really into reading blurbs on The Minimalists website and reading a lot about getting rid of clutter, excess and stress. There was a blurb on no goal setting for 100 days. This is so hard for a lot of people, because we are consistently told through outside influences that goal setting is a major key to success. Who wants to be "lazy"? However, I find with striving for the best mental health and focusing on simplicity, I am on my third week of no goal setting. It is really successful and in itself an accomplishment (ha) because so far I have:
  • Ended up getting better at listening because I am no longer stressed out, creating rubrics, calendar notes and deadlines for myself.
  • Strengthening my interpersonal relationships.
  • Living in the moment.
  • Progressing towards a more "anxiety-free" life.
  • Getting more tasks finished without having a certain order to it.
  • Doing more of what I want.
  • Using my time wisely.
  • More fitness and health-oriented.
That's been my new life in the last few weeks. So far everything is choice-oriented instead of goal-oriented and it's starting to feel more like progress.

A HUGE yay you! That sounds like a very productive list! You're so right that doing things by choice is so much more rewarding and healing than having a timetable set for you.

Keep on keeping on!

I've been thinking about what you wrote in the past few days, would love to hear more about how you're...
Hi Berlinda,

So far it is only getting better! My mind seems to be clearer and I'm noticing my pursuit of other great things is starting to surface. All of a sudden I am learning other things my mind wouldn't have focused on before. Whenever I stick to a task it is a higher level of focus. My sense of control is also increasing. I keep getting more good news the less I focus on things. So far so good :p

This is really interesting/fascinating to me... As my mind works in almost the exact opposite way. In fact, my initial response upon reading it was :O_o: How would anyone eat??? Or sleep/ work/ pay bills/ do anything/ go anywhere/ maintain any kind of... Anything??? :O_o: I have to work extremely hard to not perpetually live in the moment, but plan for (and believe in) any kind of future. It makes sense, though, if I consider it as both ends attempting to reach the middle.

I've been thinking about what you wrote in the past few days, would love to hear more about how you're...
Sorry it's been quite some time since I brushed up on this topic.
Quick update: I now have been without goals for some time now and it's a huge success. So far I have two additional licenses and am going to a recruiting presentation related to my field! Life is one day at a time but I'm bonding with people better than I ever have. Still some down days, however, there seem to be higher levels of happiness. My fitness is improving and my eating habits have improved further.

Warmest Wishes,
Jasmine

Hey! I've been doing this 'no goal setting' and I didn't even realize it was a thing. I just thought I was too depressed to care :D

Seriously though I have been trying to simplify my life. I've been slowly getting rid of things I don't use regularly. Eventually maybe I'll move into a tiny house.

Keep us updated on how the simplification process is going please. Its very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back