1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

3 Days and Counting To Assessment

Discussion in 'General' started by Portabella, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portabella

Portabella Well-Known Member

I go for my assessment on Wednesday. I was apprehensive last week. I am nervous as hell now, I mean actually can't stop thinking about it. Is there a rule of thumb as to what I can expect. I think I have told you all that I don't have alot of faith in the Mental Health folks here. I have had to work with them in a way with my past occupations. Should I cancel and go to a bigger city mental health. Should I cancel and just use my regular Doctor for meds? I am so afraid that these small town Mental Health people are going to have no clue on how to handle my diagnosis or worse? I have little faith in them. I need opinions please.....? I really want meds to help me sleep, but I have read in here that you don't want to end up hooked on them. So, I am thinking, I am going to Mental Health to a Doctor I don't trust to be diagnosed for something I already know I have and then get meds I probably shouldn't take. Oh yeah, I am stressin hard.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

No dont cancel You need help, You can go and if you dont feel right about what they say or what they give you dont take it go up the lader. You can take somthing for a while. get the rest you need. you dont have to keep taking it. my dr. put me on Trazadone to help me sleep it works and it helps my depression too. The va put me on Zanax for my stress, that keeps me from making a fool of myself when i get really upset. i take it 4 times a day. the benadryl was just a temp. short fix. they have all kinds of meds that will help. i will pray for you to get the peaceful sleep that only comes from above. :sleep:

4. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Agreeing with slhlilbit...don't cancel!!! If you go and you find that these people aren't meeting your needs or if they seem to come up with some off the wall stuff, then you can always go to another place. There's nothing wrong with finding another therapist if the one you start out with just doesn't do 'it' for you. But they might just be the right people to help you.

BTW-be prepared for them to ask you tons of questions. Some of which seem like they have no bearing on the situation-but it helps with the assesment.

And remember that the ultimate decision to take meds that are prescribed lays in your hands. A lot of us are raised if the doctor prescibes it, I have to take it. There's been several occasions that my psychiatrist has offered to prescribe more meds and I've told her 'No thank you...what I'm taking is working and I don't want more.' They're our bodies and it's our choice.

5. Portabella

Two days and counting.....(actually less than two, my appt. is in the morning. Getting really jumpy.

6. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

well how did it go

did you go.? how was it did they help ?? did they give you any advice or help with sleeping.? i hope your ok.

7. Portabella

No, my appt. is tomorrow at 9 a.m., and yes I am a freaking nervous wreck. I am going to do this. (As T. convinces herself). I am trying not to think about it but I cannot help it. One day and counting......

8. Marilyn_S

Marilyn_S Well-Known Member

Hang in there Portabella! You can do it. I second the others! My prayers are with you my friend!! I know its hard. You are strong and brave! I know it doesn't feel like that and that you are very afraid, just remember, we are all with you. Maybe not in person but in spirit, and we care alot about you (meaning all us survivors here at the forum). Take gentle care of yourself!
    Love and Care
    Marilyn

9. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Please don't cancel. Even if the appointment does not go well, you will feel pleased with yourself for having faced your fear. Who knows, perhaps it will be a good experience afterall. If not, as others have mentioned, you can always seek out a second opinion.

10. Portabella

Since I have joined the forum (approx. 1 week ago or so) I have been having stronger anxiety attacks when I have them. But in between I seem happier. Hard to explain. So.....I plan on going because I promised my family, friend, and friends on here. If they can help, good, if not, I may try on the front range in a bigger city. Don't know. Just hope they give me something to sleep better.

11. mac

mac Active Member

Hey Portabella,
    At my last medical appointment, the doc wanted me to check-in to the local psyche hospital. Instead, I settled for seeing a psychiatrist next week. It seems like its going to be more of an aggravation, if anything, as I really don't know what good its going to do. You never know though, I guess.

12. Portabella

Thanks guys. I am on the home stretch. 1 hour an 20 minutes until the appointment. I leave to head there in 1 hour.....Apprehensive is too gentle a word for how I feel.

13. slhlilbit

slhlilbit Active Member

Let us know how it went . i know its hard but it can be a good thing and give you some real good tools. take care of you portabella. slh