1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

30 Years Of Madness Before Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by porkyrees, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. porkyrees

porkyrees Member

To everyone involved in this forum I would like to say thanks, I am not alone.After a lot of years of suicide attempts,mental institutions,even prison I have finally found people to talk to besides Psychiatrists.Doctors,counsellors and socalled "normal people".My story is a complicated one starting from childhood attempting to get away from abuse by joining the military its a bit like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.Anyway I wont bore you all as we are all here for the same reason.I have read a lot of your stories before deciding to take part.I have been through two marriages mainly because of misunderstanding by both of my ex-wives and waiting too long to seek help.All I would say to anyone out there with PTSD tell your partners as much as you can seek help asap as living alone is a terrible thing and only manifests the problem.Up untill now I have only had a few friends that I could talk to 3 in fact and they are ex service mates and without them I would most likely be dead.I came from an era where PTSD wasnt recognised or treated you where usually discharged with an attitude problem.Anyway I went through the self medication Alcohol for 30yrs managed to stay employed approx 30 jobs in 30 yrs jack of all trades master of none.Even though I went all that time I still thought I had an attitude problem as the Military told me.I couldnt work out why I kept having these intrusive thoughts as the shrinks call them or these reoccuring dreams.It wasnt untill after I had what is described as a,sorry cant think of the medical term I call it lights on but no one home.I had committed a violent crime noone hurt but classed as violent in the eyes of the law.It wasnt untill I was in Prison that I was finally diagnosed with PTSD.I wont go on any further at this stage as I am only trying to introduce myself.What I am trying to say is that it is a long road to hoe I have a daughter who is a nurse and I cant even talk to her about it.Look forward to any replies.Porkyrees

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

You will find this forum is not judgmental, we all want to help those through the pain we all have. Welcome to the forum.

4. Celt

Celt Member

Hi mate,
    I'm a partner of someone with childhood and military trauma.I agree with your bit about telling your partner,very true,or otherwise they don't know you're having problems,and can just think you're being a bit of a git.
    Welcome to the forum

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Hey Porky, welcome to the forum mate, and glad you decided to say hi, and look forward to chatting more with you. PTSD is tough, no doubt about it, and we as the sufferers must also be tough with the illness. Well done on being where you are, regardless how long it took you to get where you are now, you did it because you wanted to find a better you. Well done... and again, look forward to chatting more with you.

6. porkyrees

porkyrees Member

thankyou for your responses and I have more I can tell that may help some others out there.At this stage I just want to read through some of the stories posted and figure out where I am myself at this time I am not sure whether I am still climbing out of the hole or starting to slide back in.It is very hard when you have no one around to encourage or discourage you.Thanks Porky Rees

7. vcc123

vcc123 Active Member

hi

Welcome to the forum Porky.. its a great place, has fantastic people. Its helped me alot to have people that understand how I'm feeling, I hope we can do the same for you. Glad you're here !! :hello:

8. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Hey Porky, Just want to say Hi and glad you found us.

9. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

10. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

hey porky, welcome to the forum.
    cathy

11. beatle_bailey

beatle_bailey Active Member

welcome porky Rees

Took me a long time to find this place too I drank my way thru a mariage too
    and also thirty years ao PTSD till I an getting real healp Here ,,
    Beatle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar