• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

4 Hour Panic Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
And it keeps going...

I have tried everything I know. I even tried a crisis line, but the barrage of questions lead to more panic. Which lead to self injury.

I can't seem to stop the hyperventilating. Anything that works for others?

Control the exhale. Purse your lips like you are blowing out a candle, it will make your exhale slow without you having to actually do anything. After you have the exhale feeling under your control, work on lengthening the inhale. I count while i'm doing it, and try for 8 in, 16 out.

I realize that this is a few weeks too late, but I want to mention something in case your still reading this.

When your anxiety level becomes severe to the point that you are in a panic attack, hyperventilating, and all around freaking out. I wish I could give you a tip, or tell you of a pill that will make it better, unfortunately no such thing exists. The only thing that can calm you down, is you. The best thing you can do for yourself, is learning how to use breathing exercises.

The first most important lesson about breathing exercises, use them all the time. It is a learned skill, without practice, it won't work. Also don't wait until you panic to start using them. When you start feeling the creeping anxiety, that's when you need to start paying attention to it. Dealing with it early will save you a world of grief.

When you reach the point of hyperventilation, it is very hard to stop. As your having to fight against your body's natural reactions to protecting itself. Normally these reactions are a useful reaction to a perceived threat. Unless you have a panic disorder, in which case they are a extreme reaction to the memory of a threat no longer present.

Practice, practice, practice. It really does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back