• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News A City(fortmac) In Canada Is Burning Down! All 88 000 Residents Evacuated! I Know Dozens Of Them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

void

MyPTSD Pro
Hello friends,

2 days ago a wildfire descended upon Fort MacMurray, Alberta, Canada.
It was about 1000 hectares(~2500 acres) at the time.
Now the fire is around 85 000 hectares (210 000 acres) and has engulfed most of the City.
It is mostly not under human control except in small areas.
Firefighters and equip. have poured in from all over the country, in a desperate attempt to save the City from total ruin.

I have not heard from any of the people I know and I have no idea where they are.

Many escaped wearing shorts and sandles....just grabbed their purse/wallet and ran for their life.
People all over Alberta have opened their homes......and many have traveled to the highway bringing petrol, water, food, etc... as most who fled have no possessions at all.

Authorities believe at this point that this fire was human-caused.

Please send you warmest thoughts to the victims of this insanity.

NB: When these things happen con-artists/sociopaths/opportunists make GoFundMe pages begging for money and so on. Please do not fall for it.

If you do wish to give, please only give to http://www.redcross.ca/ as the Canadian and Alberta gov'ts will be matching donations to the well-respected Red Cross.

https://twitter.com/search?q=@redcrosscanada&src=rela

https://www.facebook.com/canadianredcross

Last edited:
I am so sorry that this is happening. I saw a bit of it on the news. I had no idea how bad it is! My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people affected by this horrible tragedy. The images of the fires are awful. I wish you strength and courage during these days and the days to come. My hope is that everyone got out of the city.

Pls forgive me, in my haste I wrote Fort MacMurray when the correct spelling is Fort McMurray.

Most Canucks call it FortMac for short.....DOH!:facepalm:

@void I have watched this over the past few days and my heart goes out to everyone in the path of those fires. I heard estimates that today it will be almost a half million acres burning. I was amazed at how efficiently and without the loss of life the evacuation went.

@void I have watched this over the past few days and my heart goes out to everyon...

Yes, @intothelight the conflagration is 150 000 hectares at present and is expected to grow to 300 000 hectares TODAY....ie. 370 000 acres up to 740 000 acres.:(

The authorities freely admit that humans can NOT stop this fire no matter what resources they throw at it. :( So far they saved the hospital, airport, downtown core but the wind could shift at any moment.

This fire creates its own weather:wideeyed: including wind, clouds and LIGHTENING (gee, what could go wrong?!?!:wideeyed:)

This will be by far the worst natural disaster in Canadian history.

Fort McMurray and its residents will never be the same and no doubt some new cases of PTSD have emerged from it.:(

This fire could burn until the snow flies in October-November.:(

@void Has there been an international aid response? I haven't seen much of any...

@intothelight

None that I am aware of.
There have been firefighters come to past fires from USA, Australia, and RSA, and I have NO doubt they offered this time.
Firefighters have a bond worldwide, they have each others back.
They will do ANYTHING to help.

I am grateful for them all.:happy:
May they all be safe.

RedCrossCanada had raised 60 000 000 CAD as of yest.
Canada's Fed Gov will match that dollar for dollar.
That number will certainly keep rising as people are so moved by the suffering of their fellow citizen.
Alberta's Gov has given 100 000 000 CAD in immed. relief....so people can buy food, diapers, etc...

Every store I've gone to is raising money for the RC.

Thank you for caring:happy:

Satellite image of FMcM neighborhood

Before the fire:https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/800/1*KFK80WeFfXZptGuYF6KXMg.jpeg

After the fire:https://d262ilb51hltx0.cloudfront.net/max/1200/1*86Wf2il4keMWCznvc139Pw.jpeg

From roofs to piles of ash:(
Amazingly some were spared.

Well, the fire has moved on to the East, still out of control but only burning forest.

Now the long road of rebuilding what was lost...and the even longer road for those who rec'd PTSD from their trauma.

Thanks to those of you who read this and cared.:)

Be well.:)

The company I work for had us ship out a bunch of stock for the red cross to give to the evacuees.

Pillows, sundry items, bedding, toiletries.

Turned into a massive logistical nightmare. Lol. But we made it work.

Saw it on the news, absolutely awful :( it said it started on the Sunday, May 1st,is that true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back