• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A Helpful Thought For Anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAWWAL

New Here
I was speaking to a psychologist in passing today and they mentioned something that I found helpful about anxiety and where it originates.
I am studying to be a scientist and it just rang true in my mind.

She said that anxiety evolved from back in the cave man days when anxiety is what kept you safe from danger. We would have the flight/fight response kick in and then afterwards, hang onto that memory and fear so that we were able to learn and pass on that information to others. Although anxiety doesn't really have the same uses these days, the reason that some people are just more prone to it is because that part of the brain is more switched on (after the trauma) and retains that experience for future references to keep you safe.

I don't know about everyone else, but I constantly find that I am putting myself down for being weak and pathetic because of my anxiety and what is restricts/controls in my life. Having never suffered from it before my cptsd, I always thought it a silly, feeble condition that people had. My stigma has carried through to affect my self-esteem now But for today, just for a moment, I gave myself a break.
I hope that this can help others, no matter how minor.
Or at least, food for thought.

I can relate to feeling weak when I'm anxious. I live in the US South, where being a man means you ain't afraid of nothin' son. Only them womenfolks and p*ssies is afraid!

I'd like to think I'm more mature than that, but for some reason when I feel anxious I feel like less of a man. Silly really.

I'd like to think I'm more mature than that, but for some reason when I feel anxious I feel like less of a man. Silly really.
Although I am a woman, I can understand feeling less like I am someone who is strong. But, the up side is back in the day, during the literal days of survival of the fittest, those who are more prone to anxiety had greater 'fitness' over those who did not ;)

This is absolutely spot on.

I have thought often of primal instincts once used for basic survival, that have now become wasted nervous energy that is labeled mental illness because its original purpose is no longer relevant but due to either trauma or chemical reaction the instinct is activated but not used effectively.

I watched a doco on it a long time ago, and was really struck by how accurate the depiction of many of these instincts were for myself.

My daughter and I had long deep talks about how much simpler life would be if we could go back.
If everyday survival was our focus rather than the kardashians latest butt lift or 'needing' that latest designer skirt..

Sigh.. Us PTSDers would be the last man standing in that world, I'm sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back