1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

A Possible True Treatment for PostTraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Discussion in 'General' started by anthony, Apr 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

With the technology of brain scans ever increasing, doctors have been using this data to upon sufferers of catostrophic global disasters to piece together what is, and is not working for those sufferering PTSD. It is with all this combined statisical data, they have finally emerged with a possible true treatment for PTSD; soothing guided imagery.

Madjon actually just recently mentioned something similar to this himself, within the "[DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread114.html"]looking back at the gulf[/DLMURL]" thread; where he was sitting down looking through pictures of Iraq, helping him to remember things and view the conflict in a more subtle way.

The article states though:
    So it's not as simple as just revisiting images of your trauma, but I imagine in a more logical manner, with possibly talking about each one, triggering new memories and occurances that had been suppressed for so long.

It sounds quite promising though, and very simple, which is great news from actual statistical brain data accumulated over nearly a decade from all major disasters and significant traumatic events. Finally, a doctor with some good commonsense. Well done.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. logan

logan Guest

Mapping the brain,Techongy has come far but i don't beleave that they ,do it
    it this point i beleave it was the actual pantent that reseved treatment benifeted from the diasorder
    i'll choke on my words in another ten years
    submainal advertizing took years to defunk but we still buy Qray brecllets
    any the panents that were treated resevd support that's what we need
    logan

4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh wow that sounds cool, if they ever do a clinical trial in Canada I will definitely sign up for it!

5. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Anyone here read this yet?

6. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Read what? I read the article.

7. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

I tried reading the article, but all 3x, all that came up for me was a basically blank, w/ no material, Morris County Daily Record and a pg. displaying invalid store key.

I'd like to read it though, as I find this most interesting. Perhaps it will work another time. Will add I also enjoyed reading Madjon's thread. And, now I'm naturally, most interested in this book, but for another time, ........soon though I hope.

Hope

8. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I get a bad link too. I would like to hear more on this as it is more specific to you. I know I have used a lot of guided imagery and meditations and I know they do help. I would imagine it tailored just for me would probably be pretty wonderful.

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Oh weird I was able to see it earlier, but not now. Maybe they took it down? I tried searching for a similar article but didn't have any luck.

10. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I'm actually reading this book right now (Invisible Heroes...not too keen on the name, but it's a good, informative book so far). I'm actually reading it in very small portions because I find myself getting angry or upset or crying because it's really tough to see so much of myself written into the pages of this book.

I WILL finish this book, though. Even if it's just a couple of pages at a time.

Lisa

11. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

I mean, has anyone here read this book yet.

12. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

The book looks interesting to me, so I have ordered it, and Evie and I will read it as soon as it arrives. We often read books together.

13. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

I'm interested in trying this, too, but does it make a difference if you're left-handed? My understanding is that the functions of the left and right hemispheres of the brain are reversed with respect to handedness. Would this work for a lefty?