• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

A Walk A Day...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I shall join you. I love to run, but medication weakened my muscles and I injured my knee when I went out for a run last week. I'm feeling better but to be safe I'm giving it another month before I try to run again. I want to make sure my knee has healed and all of that crappy medicine is out of my system.

I live in a development so it's not the most exciting place to walk. But, I rarely see anyone else so it's peaceful & quiet.

I love walking! I did aerobics for 30 years. Then a couple years ago, my husband had to stop taking high blood pressure meds due to their pernicious effect on his kidneys. Instead he walked half an hour a day. His blood pressure is normal now and better than it was on meds.

So my blood pressure was bad too regardless of aerobics and I figured part of it was smoking but I wasn't ready to completely quit so I figured I would have high b.p. until I did right? Well, I started walking every day. My blood pressure is now - on average - normal tho I still smoke.

I love to walk now. It makes me happy. I put my IPod on and listen to tunes. It trances me out. I feed a family of sparrows every day. I used to feed the pigeons but after a while they would literally follow behind me walking in a line and it drew a lot of unwanted attention so I had to stop.

Today it was sunny and in the 40's with no wind and soft air. Gorgeous.

One more thing. Poor Zelda Fitzgerald had a rough life once her mental illness kicked in. The only hospital she ever showed improvement in was the one that required every patient to walk 5 miles a day. I never forgot that.

I used to walk 6-10 miles every day depending on the tides and did so for most of a year even on Christmas morning (woke up at half 5 for that!). As my ptsd has come out swinging and I've come to learn more about it and myself, I no longer do, but one day I will again, when I move away from here and the shadow of my abusers. As it gave me space and time, it felt healthier, I often meditated or dissociated during these walks but it felt somehow clean.

I'm not into nature but I like walking in the city. I often walk in the streets near me which were built in the 1920's and 1930's because I like that style of architecture very much. There's even a mad art deco building, not one of the more stylish ones but the quietly nutty type. It looks like they built three decks of a cruise ship in the middle of some houses.

There are also Edwardian houses with lovely stained glass windows and door panels. And a whole load of boring Victorian ones like I live in. The area I live in doesn't have any pubs (very unusual in the UK). It was built by a Victorian teetotaller who refused to include them. As a result it's known locally as "the desert". So I go for little walks in the desert. ;)

I try to walk as many days as possible...the weather is not always kind here at this time of year. I've done some big long distance walks in the past. At the moment I'm only walking short distance and close to home. I was physically ill for a lot of the last year and still not back on par fitness or health wise but it still helps.

Sometimes I go and just let my mind wander as I think better outdoors. Often I take my camera with me though instead to stop my mind wandering too much and dissociating too much - taking pictures helps me to focus on what is around me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back