• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Abilify

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephanie44

Confident
I am sorry I have not posted recently - my depression came on full force this past week and my doctor added Abilify to what I currently take. I started on 2 mg. and had to reduce it to 1 mg. and then to 0.5 mg. before finally stopping due to extreme fatigue. I was wondering if anyone else struggled on this medication?

Good luck.... I don't have any real advice. I was only on it a week and it killed my sex drive. That was enough for me, lol. And I'm sorry you're struggling right now. Hopefully someone else will be along soon with some advice.

On low dosages Abilify gives me Akathisia (can't sit still, have to keep walking) but it all fixed when the dosage was doubled. I think overall Abilify is dangerous on low dosages... I'm not sure. That's my experience of it anyway.

Without getting too much into my story(which would be rude), the short answer is yes, and despite my objections, I was on thirty or thirty two mg. It is a lot and I experienced the extreme fatigue you speak of. Mine was terrible and I couldn't sit comfortably, even, for about one month. Though I was eventually placed on provigil, a cns stimulant (non narcotic) to mitigate the fatigue, I do know that after about a month it let up a bit. A word of caution, however, is that there is tardive dyskinesia associated with aripiprazole, so if people around you start saying things like 'why are you making that face/similar movement you are unaware of?'

Discuss it with your doctor at once. I took it about a decade ago and to this day have an uncontrollable hideous facial expression that is always bound to be photographed!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on antidepressants for years before Abilify and could've used it. Turned out, my depression was exacerbated by an underlying insulin (not sugar) problem that went undiagnosed (it was found completely by accident). My sugar levels were always fine. Nobody ever checks the insulin levels. The whole thing led me on a journey about biochemical changes in the body in response to prolonged stress. Fascinating (and scary) stuff but not well known and treated.

Once my insulin levels were under control, I didn't even need the antidepressants anymore--which was astounding given that I had done a turn or two inpatient. It's only since I got into actual PTSD therapy that I feel like I really need something to take the edge off--but that's anxiety more than depression now. Just a thought--get a fasting insulin level from your doctor (preferably a 2-hour Insulin Resistance Test).

I'm on abilify and it has been a God send. I'm thankful that I have not had any side effects to speak of like I have on other meds. It's rather expensive though and I am waiting for the generic. Right now I am only at the 5mg. Debating about going back on 10 mg. Was on 10 then I quit abruptly due to the expense. My nurse practitioner believes it is better at doses under 15 mg for depression at least. Not sure about other uses.

Sometimes people work their way through side effects. They may have them in the beginning, but it may go away. Not all.

I don't remember the dosage of Abilify that I was taking a few years ago, but I did not have a good experiment with it at all. I have a Traumatic Brian Injury (TBI) and have battled with mild bipolar for longer than the TBI, so I have taken several medications over the years and have found what works for me, which is neurontin.

The ability gave me obsessive compulsion and a sort of psychosis. I couldn't sit still and my mind was running in circles. I also had extended periods of numbness and tingling (very uncomfortable) in my arms and hands. I also had periods when I couldn't use my hands because they were tingling, or numb, or I had lost fine motor control in them.

I ended up hospitalized because of it and my doctors did not figure out what was causing the problems after lots of testing. It was my mother that read online possible side effects and thought mine were from the ability. I think she was right because I stopped taking it and after a week or a little longer the problems went away.

I hope this helps you. I am sure it is very different for every person, but if any of these things occur they are possibly from the ability. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back