• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

About Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel parks

New Here
Hi, not really sure what to say so I will start from why I'm on PTSD

In march I was stabbed. It started by me trying to stop my friend from being mugged, as I tried to pull the guy off my friend the other one plunged a knife into my back, just missing my vital organs, I was in hospital for 2 months in intensive care and ever since then I get flashbacks of what happened.

They start for no reason but mostly include images of the guy who stabbed me staring down at me as I'm about to pass out. I need to try to stop this as I am a chef and I work with knifes all the time, but I still cant be around someone with one without getting a cold sweat or going into a flash back.

Any tips would be great.

Welcome Daniel,
I am brand new to this forum as well. I don't have all the answers but I can share what I know from personal experiences. Flashbacks can be extremely frightening and can seem very real. I have had many in the past, so I do know what it is like. Have you looked into EMDR or prolonged exposure therapy? I have had experience with EMDR and I am about to start prolonged exposure therapy in about two weeks. The EMDR significantly reduced my flashback symptoms. One word of warning, however. EMDR is not for the faint of heart and you have to be prepared to go through some grueling therapy before things get better. The good news is that most people start getting better in 12-15 weeks. I'm not sure if this helps but I thought I would share it. Respectfully, Paranoid10

Welcome, I've become a big fan of EMDR, but only when you are ready. Ask your T. Paranoid 10 is right, it got grueling. Surprisingly so. But I am better for it. You're a good friend.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear what you experienced and that you are still suffering.

I agree that exposure therapy/EMDR could possibly help with the flashbacks.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back