• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer Abuse By Ex Boyfriend Has Left Me Shattered And Broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaR

New Here
My name is Lisa and I am new to this forum. I found it by Googling Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was diagnosed with this about five years ago by my therapist. I was with a man back when I was 20 who was very vebally, physically, emotionally and sexually abusive. We dated for only eight months and the abuse began about two months into the relationship. I was lucky to get out when I did, as I don't think I'd be here today if I hadn't. I don't quite know if he would have killed me, he threatened to many times, or I would have killed myself.

As it's been twelve years since I've been with the man I call "Mr. Abusive", I sometimes wonder if I will ever be over the trauma. I've been in and out of therapy throughout this time, and whenever I think I am getting better, I suffer another setback. Being with my husband sexually has becoming an issue, and I am trying to deal with it, but having a hard time. My therapist tells me I need to be honest with my husband about the things that were done to me, but I have a hard time knowing my husband will understand and sympathize. My husband is a wonderful man, but we've had our up and downs too, and even though our marriage is very strong now, in the back of my mind I wonder if he can hear the details and still love me and think I am a wonderful person because I don't feel that I am.

The strongest PSTD symptoms I face are guilt and shame. I often blame myself because I just didn’t leave. My therapist gently reminds me that I didn’t have that option but sometimes I find myself wondering if I had just walked out that door and never looked back, what would have happened? Would things have been worse, or better? My abuser told me constantly I must have liked to be kicked and hit and punched and thrown and raped, and that’s not true, so why do I believe the other things he said to me?

I find myself very angry about my past and what he did. I wonder why he chose me to victimize. Was it something about my personality? Was it something about what I wore or how I conducted myself at work? Was it a conversation he overheard with my friends about my past relationship? These are all questions that I don’t have the answers to do that prevent me from moving forward.

I am glad to be here and hope to find some tools here to help me put this behind me

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the PTSD Forum. I think as you read and post, you will find many here that have PTSD as a result of domestic violence. The feelings of fear, guilt, and shame, do not go away when the abuse ends; but the good news is they do not have to rule your life as you recover.

The forum is a great place for information and support as you work on healing.

Take care.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back