• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Abuse Victim Jailed For Not Testifying?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Fire

MyPTSD Pro
I saw this today online and I am speechless. It is so difficult to testify against an abuser, clearly this judge has no idea. It isn't black and white, the world is a whole spectrum of grey areas and difficulties. To punish an abuse survivor for being overwhelmed by the court case is just disgusting.

Was this judge right? I thought the whole point of a judge is to interpret the law and y'know, use their judgement, backed up by a jury. But this is bullying in my opinion. To someone so vulnerable, with a child, a three-day sentence probably feels like the end of the world. Shame on that judge.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-failing-to-testify-against-her-a6687481.html

She had an order to appear. She didn't have to testify, in the states we have the constitutional right not to* in most cases, but one does actually have to show up. If one misses their court appearance, for any reason, one is breaking the law & a bench warrant is issued. That's absolutely standard. Even if you're having a panic attack in the stairwell? Drag your ass 10 feet further to the door of the court if you don't have a good lawyer & don't want a warrant issued.

* There are instances where the court can compel testimony, but they're fairly rare.

Oh okay I see, that explains it better. I thought it was really harsh to jail her for not testifying, but I guess if she had to just be there then it makes more sense.

Goodness, that is dreadful. The article actually says the judge had other options like s fine or community service, but no she sent the victim to jail. It is outrageous. Next time people will be reluctant to report domestic violence if this is how it is dealt with. Clearly she sympathised with the perpetrator as she also gave him a reduced sentence. Where was Victim Support through all this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back