• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Accidents from dissociating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to come to this forum after my dissociation has gotten worse. I grew up in a very traumatic living situation when I was younger, have moved frequently, lost everyone I've loved over and over again. It's hard for me to feel grounded because of this. I start to feel as if I can see myself in everyone. There are billions of people in this world that I cannot block out and I feel like I'm losing the sense of who I am.

Sometimes my head starts to feel like it's literally popping open. It starts to feel so uncomfortable that I don't know what to do. I thought I was past the abuse and that it was no longer affecting me. It seems like it's still affecting my body. I'm not feeling afraid at all but whenever I start think about something stressful not even related to trauma I start to feel myself spacing out. My whole body starts to feel like it is no longer mine and this goes on for days. I look in the mirror and feel like I am not my own.

I guess I don't want to feel alone in this anymore. I don't want to feel like I am the only one going through this. It's nice to find a group of people who feel the exact same way I do.

The last time, I dissociated I accidentally gave myself a 2nd degree burn. I spilled a hot cup of water all over myself. I usually accidentally break things because I'm not engaging anymore. Please, give me some coping methods. Anything that worked for you to ground you back. I have tried meditation and it isn't very grounding. I'm tired of accidentally hurting myself from spacing out so badly.

The dissociating doesn't always exactly feel the same but yes, I guess you could say there is more silence in it. I know it's me trying to subconsciously block out everything because I cannot believe I survived and I really don't know how to go forward into being "normal."

Sometimes it feels like I'm blacking out and I don't remember chunks of time. Other times when I'm dissociating I can't hear what's going on and everything seems like a blur. I feel like I'm everywhere and no where all at once. I see my hands but it doesn't feel real. I keep thinking I'm going crazy. I'm having a hard time with this month... so any advice is helpful.

I found when I start hyperfocusing and drifting it was usually because it was silent or quiet. So I started looking into audio apps, found that playing distracting sounds kept me focused. I have audio loops that mimic city street, coffee shop, sports games playing in the background to keep focus and grounded. They're organic sounds that you would hear daily. Whatever sounds to find stimulating but not triggering you should give it a try.?You can find them on Spotify, YouTube and so on by searching for 'coffee shops sounds' 'airport sounds'.

I decided to come to this forum after my dissociation has gotten worse. I grew up in a very tra...
I dissociate a lot its hard for the people who care about me. They think that I dont care when all I want is my mind to quieten down. Ive found that dancing helps, not with anyone just on my own. I was beaten from the age of 3 till 9 it only stopped when my father found out, he realised that I wasnt clumsy and the bruising was too severe. Then 20 years of sorting someone elses trauma, a 10 month violent marriage. Then alcaholism, a child beaten out off me and then a violent and bloody rape, he was a stranger and inprisoned for it. Off the alcahol now and mostly coping but here it comes Im still scared. Maybe one day it will be over. Sorry

I dissociate a lot its hard for the people who care about me. They think that I dont care when all I want...
I know it's so hard not to be on something to deal with the pain. So proud of you for not being dependent on alcohol. I stopped drinking a year ago and I found it to stop my emotional landslide from happening as much. I isolate though so different problems now. I wish you nothing but the best. We all deserve to heal from our traumas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back