• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice And Opinions Please - Complicated Therapy Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eagle3

MyPTSD Pro
I'm trying to find some professional therapy, but I have no money, even for sliding-scale therapists, and my parents can't chip in anything either. I need to deal with this stuff like, right now, because my brain is starting to shut down in the one class that I can't afford to do that in, and I'm getting less and less able to handle the crowds at school.

My college has a policy of 3 free visits to the school counselor, they give you a referral, then that's it. But I need serious help to make it through this semester with decent grades. Should I ask the counselor to go against policy for the rest of the semester, just to take the edge off, or should I pursue some other form of help? What other options do I have that I may not be seeing? Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

If there is, they haven't told me about it. I've talked pretty extensivley with this lady, and she knows how it is for me, but she only gave me a list of people I have to pay to see. Big help there.

Hmm, that isn't helpful of her is it??

Try googling mental health in your area. I don't know where you are or what school you are attending, so I can't help there. Also look up Mental Health Associations, Mood disorder organizations for you area. You might find something in that...

Bec

Hi Eagle, i can relate to shutting down in classes...it happens often to me and I almost always have to ask for extensions which I find really embarrassing because I used to always get everyhting done on time or even early...

I don't know about what you can do other than what Bec has already suggested...
But...maybe you can get the school counsellor (if you have not done so already) to write a letter to your profs and tell them to take your situation (w/o giving any details of course) into consideration and give you extensions or whatever if possible...maybe it can at least lessen some pressure until you can get help....It's tough also to go to school and therapy...but hang in there. Good luck!

I must live in a very unfriendly place, because I tried telling this prof about what's going on, and she didn't even blink. Surprising, because she works with brain-injured people and is a licensed therapist herself. In any case, extensions are absolutely forbidden, and wouldn't do me much good anyway, because I just can't seem to wrap my busy, befuddled head around the math in Chemistry 2.

I guess it's just something I have to work on, but I'm trying not to tell everyone at school about my problem. Besides, no one seems to care that much anyway. Just my perception? Probably, but I really don't think so. These folks just don't know how to be friendly around here, don't really care about anyone but themselves. Other people at the school have noticed the same thing. Its really wierd. I'm rambling...sorry

Eagle, all the instant therapy in the world is not going to solve the problem that your faced with. That is the facts of the situation. Your mind has decided that your going to either deal with your trauma or it is going to continue making you worse and worse, without dealing with it. Even dealing with your trauma, get you hit the same low point... as you must go down to come up when PTSD is involved. You must be pushed to that worst point in life, so you can recover, be stronger, have no fear of trauma, then you still have to learn how to control PTSD itself.

I think your personally worrying yourself and creating more anxiety for yourself now, for something that no amout of instant counselling is going to fix for you in regard to your chemistry class and math. PTSD doesn't just go away because you get some immediate counselling... it just doesn't work like that.

I am sure Anthony is right.
But for me there were/are things that can make a short term difference for some. For me, the key to not curling in to a fetal position right away was DRUGS. WEEEEEE.

No not that kind of drugs. Medication for my condition. Two medications helped me.
The first was/is Klonopin (generic - clonazepam). This stuff is key to really helping me with my chronic, tital wave size, anxiety. It is also inexpensive as it has been around for awhile.
The second medication is Stattera which is mainly used to treat adult ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). I don't have ADD but for me it helps me battle side effects of PTSD and Klonopin, so I can both concentrate on, and give a crap about, mundane things. Unfortunately this one is expensive.
The real key for me to function is Klonopin.

I don't know if this will help you. My brother, who also has PTSD, hated Klonopin. It didn't help him at all. He did better with Paxil. For me, Paxil is like taking pez. It does nothing except perhaps contribute to my already massive desire to sleep all the time.

So be warned! Drugs may mean inexpensive quick help sometimes for some people, but figuring out whether they help or hurt and what to take (if anything) can be an unpleasant, lab-rat-like experience.

Eagle, do the best you can for the time being. Math and Chemistry isn't easy period, ptsd or not. First of all, I can't believe your school doesn't have more counseling for their students. Having students stay in college gives them money but if you don't take care of your students, and they drop out, no money! I don't get it. The school I went to in IA, had free counseling for the whole duration I was enrolled in school. I used this several times not knowing that it was ptsd starting to stir after hibernation.

What Anthony said is true. Right now, you are heading toward the end of the semester. Get a tutor for the time being, do the best you can, and then take a break. A LONG break. Get that second job you need and start to heal yourself. Maybe with the second job, they will have decent health insurance. When you are ready, then go back to school and I suggest going to one that gives free mental health counseling. Sounds to me a lot of unweilding people at your school. If this instructor is actually a therapist, then she should know how debilitating PTSD is.

I wish you the best of Luck.

I completely understand that there are no instant fixes...I just need to take the edge off in order to finish this semester. I'm not trying to really solve anything yet, I have too much to do right now. As long as I can talk to someone in person about what's going on inside right now, the symptoms are generally controllable. That's what is incredible to me...I've been able to control the symptoms very easily until this semester. I know why, too. Work and school were going on during my trauma, so the situation is very similar and things are surfacing that I really didn't expect. However, as long as I can pull a "C" out of this class, I'll be ok. That's what I'm making now, and I just have to maintain it. I can do that.

I would love to take a break from school, but I have one more class next semester before I graduate. I'll take a break after that. A nice LOOOOOONG break.

Yeah, these people are pips down here. In high school, the teachers actually cared enough to get a little personal with the students. I'm used to conversing with teachers on a personal level. That is simply not going to happen at this college, and its very hard to get used to.

Thanks for the replys folks.

Look through here and see if there are any services that will help. These are free counseling services around Texas. If you want to send me a private message and let me know a closer location you are at I will try to find something more local free if you cannot find something on this site later. I know you are in the same vicinity of Texas as I, but in Texas that is still a lot of ground... [DLMURL]http://www.spr.org/en/resourceguides/rg_texas.asp[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You are so close to graduating!!!!! Congrats! Ok, stick it out.....but come online, vent here, start your diarie, and write, write, write. If you could find a counselor face to face, that would be AWESOME. Don't let this insult you, but I know that some religious groups give free counseling. A friend of mine still travels two hours to see her "free" therapist who happens to be a priest. Taking these first steps can be incredibly hard. (Isn't it amazing how hard it is to get an appointment for mental health? The referral process, the waiting list, the insurance crap... No wonder people don't get the help they need when they need it.) You can take initiative to take the first steps.

A bit of a warning: if you talk about your trauma, your symptoms will get worse. Talking about it won't make you feel better until you've dealt with it fully which means getting worse before getting better. You've got a fine line to walk and I hope you make it to the end....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back