• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice? Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jen

MyPTSD Pro
Hey guys I usually stick to the spouses section but am after a bit of advice. Hubby has had Irritable Bowel for about 5 days now should it be going on this long we cant get in to see his Doc until next week he has had bouts that have lasted this long before. It just seems to me to be a long time to be running to the loo usually not long after he eats. There was a bit of stress at the start of this week with something that he had put off for months but we had to go and get this problem sorted ( financial). Could this have been the onset of this bout?
Thanks Jen

Jen, IBS can be an ongoing thing if the sufferer is constantly stressed, without a doubt. IBS can come and go with stress attacks, or ups and downs in life; there really is no time limit on it. The best thing you can do, is to balance life so that things are calm, and ensure a healthy diet and daily exercise is done. This will pretty much close up IBS within a day or two.

Hi Anthony thanks for your answer I have taken on all financial responsibities and he just sits in front of the tv when he gets out of bed.
But you can tell when he is stressed you know when you are talking to someone and they sit there jiggling their leg so obviously not real calm on the inside. Its funny I thought a bout would come on after the appointment we had earlier in the week but just not for this long. I think it is starting to sink in with me that I just cant involve him to much at the moment with decisions that may cause to much worry otherwise he will waste away to a shadow.
Thanks Jen

know what works for me? a dr. told me this, and much to my surprise, it helped.
take the fiber pills that are for people that get constipated. the fiber in them works like a sponge, absorbing some of the extra water, reducing symptoms. it doesn't help the pain, but it will help keep things in control. won't get so dehydrated. also, the wellbutrin i take seems to have done something with the ibs, i''ve been able to eat salad for the first time since i was 15. (and i am now an OLD lady)
cathy

Yep, Imodium Plus for short term relief until he sees the doc. and make sure he's getting enough fluids. Rehydration fluids if its really bad. I can pretty much control mine by foods. Everyone's different though. There's loads of trigger foods that I just cant eat at all.

Thanks guys I will give the Immodium a go. We went through all the differerent foods a couple of years ago to see what was setting it off. We thought it may have been tomato paste like in pasta and on pizzas. But no if he is in a good frame of mind he can eat anything so I dont think it is much of a food problem.
Scott does your IBS go on for days? ( What a great subject)
Thanks Jen

My flatmate has IBS- more likely to be the wheat in the pasta and pizza base rather than the sauce. Wheat is one of the major IBS triggers, and unfortunatley it's one of those ingredients that gets into foods you would never have considered it to be in. She can eat wheat when not syptomatic but it's a no go area when she's got a flare up. see if that help 'till u see doc

Irritable bowel syndrome, gives you the shits dosent it. :moon: (LOL)

OMG LMAOOOO!!! You're awful!! Hahahaha.

I have problems with my stomach and bowels, it's more than IBS, I've had several surgeries... but in general, eating small portions several times a day and eating slowly helps a lot. I also eat probiotic yoghurt every day, and I've noticed a HUGE difference since starting that.

Nice one Nuggett we are not mentioning the S word at the moment in our house:smile:
Hubby said we are wasting money on food at the moment not in his body for long enough. Thanks Batgirl but he cant stomach youghurt.
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back