• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice On Going Back To Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

New Here
My Dr still has me on a medical leave due to the PTSD I have a job where I work with the public I go to stores and reset the project assignments that my boss email me daily but at the moment I am afraid of being in public I feel threatened and scared and my boss says he won't allow me to return until the Dr says that the PTSD is gone so I don't know what to do about work my Dr says that I'm a long way from returning to work if I ever get to and my work is a Merchandiser that's all I have ever done cause there's no way I could work in a factory or with a boss in the same building as me I have only met my boss 2 times in 18 years so any suggestions on what I should do

Oh, Cas. Have you considered applying for SS disability? I finally had to do that after almost 20 years on the job, because I couldn't concentrate anymore and other stuff. I don't know that PTSD ever goes away. You can learn how to manage it, but I've never been able to get my concentration back, hence the SS disability benefits. I do work part-time now, but it's very low stress and manageable, though I can't work every day.

I have the opposite happening to me right now. I was on disability for 4 1/2 years because of my depression and PTSD. SS decided I was better, even though all my doctors disagreed. They dropped me from disability and to survive, I have had to get a job. I haven't worked in 4 1/2 years, and I really am not better. I got the job, but I have a hard time being there everyday. There are days I just can't get out of bed. I am bringing home less than I did with disability, so I am not making it financially. My parents are having to help me, which only makes things worse. Because of my hours and bad insurance, I can no longer go to counseling. I still am on all my meds, but the lack of counseling is really taking its toll.

I suggest you really try to get on SS Disability. PTSD does not have a quick fix. I can understand your not going to work. You need to put your mental health first and take all the time you can to recover. I hope you can get some relief.

I have the opposite happening to me right now. I was on disability for 4 1/2 years because of my depress...
This scares the daylights out of me. I'm so sorry, MissKB. I don't understand how that could happen if your doctors said you couldn't work. I'm going through the review period now -- don't know if they're doing a medical review -- and my psych says I can't work more than the little part time stuff I'm already doing. I think every day about what kind of regular job I could possibly do and I come up empty. I can't even watch a whole half-hour TV show, my concentration is so bad. Were you working part time? Do you have any idea why they denied you?

Well Hodge, you know how the government is, they decided to reevaluate me and had their own Dr. do a 15 minute "examination" of me. It was more like a IQ test. I have mental problems but I am not a dummy. I have a BA from a university. So when their Dr. gave me his exam, he literally asked me questions like who is the president and what is the capital of the state I live in. Well, I knew the answers so he reported I could work. I appealed to the highest level, but in the end, even the judge ignored by Dr. and Therapists opinions. These are people that have been treating me for years. And now the SS department is billing for back pay of Disability for when they felt I got better! It ended up being two YEARS of my past pay they want me to reimburse them.

How do you think that helps the depression? LOL When it first happened, I really almost attempted suicide again and was going to send a suicide letter to the judge. I really was soooo scared to get back out there. But, I had to. I hadn't worked at all while I was on disability, but I have to work full time because of $$. I miss work a lot and I have to take many breaks because sometimes I start crying at work just for no reason, which is something I do all the time. In fact, its Tues. the 13th and I'm at home today, I couldn't make it to work today.

So, Hodge how long have you been on disability? Did they ever ask to reevaluate your health?

I'm so sorry, MissKB. That's horrible. My SS disability started in 2009. In 2012 they sent an update status report which I filled out, then they responded that they didn't need to do a medical review. This past June I got another one, filled it out, and still haven't heard back. I'm on pins and needles.

For the appeal, no I did not have an attorney. Because if I won I would not get a big settlement or anything, that meant I would of had to pay for an attorney, and I didn't have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back