• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Advice Please - Lexapro

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenStrongerNow

MyPTSD Pro
So, I just started taking the Lexapro two days ago. I notice a substantial increase in anxiety. From what I've read, there is an adjustment period with starting antidepressants, is that correct? I still have the clonzepam to assist with that.

My other problem....my appetite was good over last weekend but now it is back to pretty much none. I've been trying to force feed.

My mom, who used to be a nurse, suggested I go get a milkshake, soups and gatorades to get nutrition.

I put in a call to my doctor also regarding this. Any suggestions?

I just started lexapro 3 weeks ago for the first time.

This is my first time using an antidepressant. My dr feels it will help with my anxiety and he feels I am also depressed.

After 1 week i started feeling nauseous off and on and had zero appetite. Also I had a headache. I called my dr, who was out of town, and another doctor recommended I half the dose until I see him again in 2 weeks.

That was 2 days ago, and I am feeling a bit better.

I think this would be considered a reaction, and hope he recommends switching to something else. I have been feeling so sick since I started taking Lexapro!

I know it helps some people, but seems to react with me. Or this is a normal adjustment time? I don't know either. I am a first timer.

Good luck. Hope you are feeling better soon!!

About 2002, they pulled Serzone from the market, so I tried something else which drove my anxiety up a lot. I switched to something else. I just don't remember if it was Lexapro that I switched from or to, though I do remember taking Lexapro for a while.

I don't remember any issues with diet until I started on Cymbalta, which drove my weight up.

I agree with the soup recommendation though. I'm a huge soup fan, even in summer.

@Leanne1 Ah, thank you for sharing that with me. It helps to know I'm not alone. I'm completely terrified after what happened to me with Risperdal withdrawal.

I read that it takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks for the body to fully adjust to antidepressants, but my pcp said 2 weeks. I hope you feel better soon too :)

@WillyKat I just went out and got a big chocolate shake with whip cream and a cherry as well as two large bowls of hearty chicken noodle soup from Chik Fil A lol I've almost got the shake finished.

I take Lexapro and don't have any reaction from it that I know of. Everyone is different though. I started low, and increased slowly. I am at 20 mg right now and I'm supposed to continue up to 30 mg tomorrow. I have had a lot of bad reactions with many antidepressants but none with this drug so far. I guess everyone has a different system and reaction to every drug. I mostly take it for OCD, but its supposed to help with depression too. I hope you figure something out.

Personally, I get anxiety and anxiety attacks on average adult doses of Lexapro . I would ask your provider about decreasing your dose, to the level where you don't get anxiety. My pediatric Lexapro dose doesn't give me anxiety; it helps reduce it.

She just gave me a script to try 5 mg. I quit taking the 10mg last week.

Hopefully this will go smoothly.

@Leanne1, how are you feeling now with the decrease?

Last edited:
I had to stop again. The anxiety, restlessness and sickness feeling was too much for me. I woke up and had two panic attacks.

I'm so glad it is working out well for you. That's awesome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back