• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Afraid To Fall Asleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had flashbacks so bad yesterday, I was actually shaking when it tried to fall asleep. I was scared that it would turn into a nightmare and was too scared to fall asleep. When I did basically pass out from exhaustion it was a restless night and the littlest things would wake me up in a panic. Anyone have remedies for this?

I'm sorry you are struggling. It's so exhausting to be processing this stuff during sleep and be tired in the morning. I like to think about the nightmares or flashbacks before going to bed and let you mind fully picture and imagine a different ending. I like to do self hypnosis app for sleep from my phone to center my mind and sometimes leave a lighthearted show or music on so my mind can kind of be listening to something positive. I hope you have a better night tonight!

It is called sleep hypnosis and is the one with a picture of a girl meditating with swirly colors and a bird behind her. If you focus on listening it and don't let yourself get caught up in thoughts too much while it's on it should leave you kind of heavy relaxed. Works well.

Sometimes a heated pillow helps, and sometimes I need to uses either tryptophan or sleeping medications.

In order of most effective : (for myself, & when I'm alone)

- Meds (antianxiety, for me, as it's anxiety & adrenaline keeping me up).
- Burn off the adrenaline (I belong to a 24 hr gym for a reason) + hot shower & totally clean
- Hot shower & Hot food & Disney (or your favorite feel good movie you can fall asleep to)
- Distraction (any tv, movie, game, book)
- Sheer stubbornness (there's a reason I'm often up 36+ hours)

Last edited:
I use to put on an old 'Carebears' video when this happened. It was my favourite as a kid and having it play in the background as I fell asleep always made me feel safe. Second best would have been 'The Sound Of Music' lol. You could try your favourite comedy or cartoon movie, even if its playing in another room, if you don't want to actually watch it.

Thanks guys. Usually I watch movies until I basically I just pass out, stay distracted until I can't keep my eyes open. Makes less of a chance for my thoughts to stray to negative things. My therapist has been trying to convince me to stop using this to help me sleep, but nights like that make it hard to break the habit. I am supposed to start trying to self sooth and get myself to calm down and relax. Still not sure this will ever be possible.

I can't take any sleep aids except maybe a Scotch or two, so rely on distraction and cuddly things like pillows and stuffed animals. When i wake up in the deep of night I read until I cannot se and then try to sleep again. Hope you find something that works for you.

Not much advice; I was up until 6 am last night kinda sorta slept until 10 am with one moderate nightmare and here I am up at 4:00 am for the same reason; just wanted to let you know you weren't alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back