• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Agoraphobia Vs Social Anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtues

MyPTSD Pro
Through "In Vivo Hierarchy" my agoraphobia has gotten better. I still have the occasional panic attack, but for the most part I am able to go into restaurants, stores, shopping malls, etc... I am even taking the kids to Disney today (yeah me); This isn't a thread to pat myself on the back however. My question is about social encounters.

Where I have progressed 10 fold with my agoraphobia I have made almost no progress with my social anxiety. Yesterday threw this into sharp relief. I attended a wedding (wife's cousin and bride); I knew almost no one. I wasn't able to talk to anyone. I went into shutdown mode. My question is: What therapy have people found successful to combat social anxiety? Is there something comparable to what "In Vivo Hierarchy" is to agoraphobia? Thoughts?

Don't know of any therapy, apart from being around very friendly people who take the time to notice that you are alone and feeling awkward and talk to you, which are far and few between. Know that shutdown mode really well. A wedding where I knew no-one would be hell. You did really well to go.

Perhaps join a group where you have common hobby so you have more common ground to talk about stuff. Or I'm being coaxed into helping in school canteen (oh the terror, the mum's brigade is fear enough), volunteer or charity work. All of these suggestions I find terrifying and have not done yet, but also trying to find an answer and these are being suggested.

I was forced to adapt, due to my job although I don't recommend it.
The sheer amount of anxiety that I have over come does not outweigh the parts that still affect me/develop.

Positive Reinforcement is a good one, basically surrounding yourself with friendly people and the sorts. Or with similar likes and goals.

If you're an artist, getting involved in the art community is always great, you'd meet a lot of positive and nice people through that. A lot of artists are socially anxious anyway, despite their very social jobs.

First let me say that Disney was a success. I felt like I was going to have a Panic Attack a couple of times, but I rode it out and I did just fine.

The theme seems to be the same: small groups of like minded people. This will be tougher than it looks. I am in the process of finding new hobbies to occupy my time. I suffered a few injuries in the military that have made the physical activities I once took part in an impossibility. This just means I need to become creative.

I don't know what I enjoy to do anymore, that's just where I'm at right now. By no means am I tossing in the towel, I just need to rediscover myself and no one can do that for me except me. This was good feedback thanks!

I'm glad that Disney went well :) You progressed a lot.

I understand what you mean, I'm at a similar stage right now, though quite a bit more lost.

Sending warm hugs, hoping this works out for you :hug:

This is a good question. I have agoraphobia, in my case fear of crowed places, and also a certain amount of social anxiety.

The hard part of the social anxiety is I work in a retail setting, so I deal with a lot of people while at work. Sometimes, most days, it is ok, but other times, like today, I just wanted to go somewhere where I did not have to deal with people.

I use to be very social, but now I find myself withdrawing, not shutting down, just drawing into a shell. I really don't like this. I would rather be comfortable with others, and be able to socialize freely, but that just don't happen.

I find myself thinking more and more how a nice cabin in the mountains, a fireplace and a good book is how I want to spend my time.

I would like to find an answer to the social anxiety, other than hiding from the world.

A lot has happened since I first posted this... where to start?

I was talking to my T about this last Wednesday. I thought maybe the social anxiety started after I witnessed my girlfriend being murdered. I thought a lot about this since I spoke with my T. I don't think this is the case now, however. I think I remained somewhat social even after this trauma; now I think it was the war that changed me. After I returned home from Iraq slowly I started to push all of my friends away until I was alone and locked inside my own head. I don't know that this changes anything more just some insight.

Second I will be attending substance abuse counseling for my alcohol problem (yay me)!!! The VA will be starting my counseling on the 26th of this month. I will post a thread after counseling starts. I only share this information because I think alcohol is a means to combat social anxiety for me. It doesn't necessarily help me to get out of my shell, but rather makes me feel more comfortable there (in the bottom of a bottle). Hopefully when I am off the sauce it will promote a desire to want to re-engage socially. It may not do this at all, but either way I know the alcohol is not helping me.

Finally, equine therapy has been amazing. I lunged a horse for the first time last week. I did it in a round pen with no lunge line; it may have been the most amazing thing I have ever done in my entire life (next to watching my children born). My confidence level after the session was through the roof. I'm hoping that this therapy will also help with the social piece (as it's all kind of tied in together).

I guess in short I begin this week no better off, but kind of optimistic, which is a step in the right direction for me (I am usually a giant pessimist). I will write more as therapy continues. Thank you everyone for the encouraging words.

Shut down mode, thanks for sharing that, my girlfriend is filippino and the other night we went to her friends house for a party, I set on the sofa in the corner and was exactly that in shut down mode, but I just never knew that's what people call it. Of course apart of it comes from the constant use of a foreign language which I understand sparingly but cannot speak, and would rather honestly not try to participate in that sort of social setting. Also there's the social differences and cultural differences, which for me, I get sick of trying to understand or be sensitive about and just be free, I basically have never felt as if I've fit in with those people, I don't think or act or value what filippinos do. I do miss however, socializing with other Americans or people of like mindedness and in similar paths or walks of life, it's refreshing, but not alot of that going around these days.

Personally I found CBT a great help in reducing social anxiety. It's nearly a decade since I had CBT, would love a top up course as I can see over time Ive become socially anxious again.

Hope you find something that helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back