1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Alien Abduction: The Need for Healing

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Let the healing begin

Should I see a counselor about this? The appropriate answer is, “Maybe you should.” If your experiences are preventing you from feeling capable and effective, or if remembering them is preventing you from enjoying life, maybe you should. Choose a competent and credentialed mental health professional. You can start by asking your doctor.

If it’s not interfering with your life, but you want to deal with it anyway, what should you do? When faced with events that one cannot control, what can be done?

There are general tactics one can use, as well as specific techniques available to help one through this.
    Generally speaking

Generally, we are each responsible for those acts we commit when conscious. We are not responsible for things we do when unconscious or semi-conscious or when forced by someone else. Likewise, harmful acts against us, perpetrated by others, are not our responsibility.

For acts committed against others by our own bodies, for example vehicular assaults and homicides committed while “under the influence”, we can expect to be held responsible. The assumption in this case is that we chose to ingest those substances that incapacitated us and led to our criminal behaviors.

But how do we deal with those harmful acts against us? Viktor Frankl suggested an approach that seems most appropriate: we can choose our response. In his book “Man’s Search for Meaning” he said:

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” “Man’s Search for Meaning”, page 104

I highly recommend all of his books, audio and video productions to everyone, whether they have been victimized themselves or whether they want to understand those who have been victimized. Dr. Frankl’s works help the healing, and the personal empowerment, begin.
    Specifically speaking

Specifically, we can look at two anxiety disorders to gain treatment techniques that help move us back into productive, healthy lives. They are post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and post-abduction syndrome (PAS). PTSD is recognized by professional mental health classification and treatment organizations, while PAS is not, as yet.

Neither of these, PTSD or PAS, has been proven to completely deal with our current topic. These are presented as only possible avenues for research and use. Also, PAS is presented here without reference to treatment, because no methods were found, in the research for this article. On the other hand, PTSD is presented with its most effective treatments. It is hoped that until a specific treatment is available for PAS, the methods used for PTSD and other anxiety disorders will help.
    Post-abduction Syndrome (PAS)

The word “abduction” in PAS refers to alien abduction. PAS does not refer to humans abducting humans, (i.e., kidnapping), but only to alien abductions. PAS shares many symptoms with PTSD. But it is not the same.

PAS is based on those symptoms originally listed by alien abduction researcher Budd Hopkins and described in his books “Missing Time” and “Intruders”.

PAS symptoms include:
    • Persistent re•experiencing of the traumatic event characterized by flashbacks
    • Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the trauma
    • Denial of the event
    • Labeling the event something else
    • Phobic avoidance of areas or situations where contact occurred
    • Refraining from sleep at the time contact occurred
    • Emotional reaction to literature, pictures, or videos about alien entities
    • Numbing of emotions characterized by inability to feel intimacy, pleasure, or to express
    emotions
    • Diminished interest previously enjoyed activities
    • May have no expectation of normal life events or normal life span
    • May fear abduction with no return or lengthy abduction
    • Hyper•vigilance, exaggerated startle response, irritability, and/or panic attacks

As mentioned earlier, there is no treatment or cure listed with PAS, as presently proposed. It is hoped that the treatments used for authenticated anxiety disorders, like PTSD, are helpful to those experiencing PAS.

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and treatment
    PTSD refers to stressful events that the person experiences as highly traumatic. Like PAS, PTSD has everything to do with not being able to trust your environment anymore. It’s very serious and debilitating.

It is possible for individuals to experience traumatic stress without manifesting Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. But PTSD is an anxiety disorder and not to be confused with normal grief and adjustment after traumatic events. For most people, the emotional effects of traumatic events will tend to subside after several months. If they last longer, then a psychiatric disorder may be diagnosed. It is also possible to suffer other psychiatric disorders in addition to PTSD. These disorders often include depression, anxiety disorders and addictions. PTSD may have a delayed onset of months, years or even decades and may be triggered by an external factor or factors.
    Treatment

There are dozens of treatments suggested for PTSD. PTSD is commonly treated using a combination of psychotherapy and psychotropic drug therapy.

The most effective psychotherapeutic treatment for PTSD is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). Extremely briefly, EMDR is an eight-phase treatment that includes the following actions occurring simultaneously and under supervision:
    - Patient focuses inwardly on a most traumatic scene from her past
    - Patient focuses outwardly on their doctor’s finger, following it back and forth with their eyes
    - Patient visualizes a pre-chosen positive picture

A more detailed explanation of the treatment can be found at the EMDR website listed in the references at the end of this article. Parenthetically, it is interesting that the eyes are the focus of the PTSD therapy EMDR.
    Bottom line

Whether alien abductions occur in our physical world or not, their effects can be real, and real devastating, to their victims. It should be encouraging to know that help is available. It should be hopeful to know there are ways to manage our responses to these intrusions. It should be better still to go on living our lives with purpose.

Source: UFO Digest

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. catatonicky

catatonicky Member

I'm sure that i read somewhere that the majority of the epidemic of cases of "alien abduction" victims were child sexual abuse victims living in denial. Which actually makes them suffering PTSD full-blown. When you look at the stats on CSA it is not surprising, and it is somehow easier to tell yourself it was aliens rather than someone human, that probably came from your own family.

4. mac

mac Active Member

Alien abduction... PAS... hell, why not?

5. synisthesia

synisthesia New Member

I've always been open to the idea that I was sexualyy molested as a kid, but there is zero evidence of this. I do remember seeing strange lights and witnessing alien beings about 12 times during adolescence.

I had one encounter, one of the last encounter, that lasted one full hour. There were aliens in my presence for the entire time. I'm sure that left me with a serious PTSD scare.

I never did UFO hypnosis or followed UFO stuff, I always thought that was dangerous.

But I create a serious PSTD relapse from getting Care Givers Stress. That happened at 35 and that created full-blown PTSD. I had not really thought about my teenage paranormal experiences until I started getting strong PTSD flashbacks this year.

I had naturally remembered short specific moments when my room was filled with strange lights and/or alien beings. I never remembered them touching me and I never remembered any time inside a ship or what the might have done to me.

Since the flashback started this year, I remember things they did. those memories explain much of my beharours and fears. What I'm remembering is not sexual, but violent and abusive, almost demonic beings. These memories make more sense as abductions that some form of sexual abuse.

These memories are far more horrible than what I would imaging sexual abuse would be like. It would seem easier to remember a family member abusing me verses alien creatures.

I will also note that I have worked with therapists since my teens. I was always vocal about my paranormal teenage experiences. I never got a diagnosis for it, they could not explain what I saw, but they reassured my I was not delusional. I've seen my current therapist for 8 years, I started seeing him to help me as I started dating (hardly a crisis), but knows everything. He also knows that is it only recently that I developed full-blown PTSD, within the last 2 years. He also knows this had triggered PTSD flashback of Alien Abduction.

6. cragger65

cragger65 I'm a VIP

A slightly different angle I have explored is the idea of birth/re-birth. According to Buddhist doctrine, we are basically conciousness that is "recycled" over and over again through hundreds and thousands of lives - a refinement process, if you will.

With an open mind to this possibility, it is not necessarily the case that the traumatic event(s) or abuse occured in our current lifetime. Just another avenue of thought to consider.

I have not tried EMDR - it was suggested to me a few years ago by my nuero-psych, but when she attempted to refer, the treating therapist said it would be dangerous to my (already fragile) state of mind at that time. I have tried TIR (Traumatic Incident Reduction) by I find it difficult if not impossible to summon the emotions associated with the traumatic memories - I just go flat and calm, as if discussing a grocery list. I don't know if this is good or not, my therapist didn't seem to think so. She said she's never had that response from anyone to TIR. Would EMDR still be worth tying now, I wonder?

7. dust

dust Well-Known Member

Hi Cragger,

I have been doing EMDR for over a year and it is very good - incredibly painful too! I have also experienced that flatness you describe - just talking about something as if it happened on the way to the shops or as if it happened to someone else. My therapist explained to me that this was dissociation. By that I understood that I would only gain benefit by being in my body and reconnecting with the memory. Perhaps worth asking your therapist if EMDR is appropriate? Please feel free to ask for any more info if required.

dust

8. cragger65

cragger65 I'm a VIP

Thanks Dust,

It's funny, when I try to connect with it, I can't do it. But then last week at the T's I started balling over the same incident/time period. She herself said she doesn't feel in practice enough to do it with me. She gave me the name of another doc that does EMDR more regularly. Who knows, maybe it's still worth a try.

9. dust

dust Well-Known Member

Hi Cragger,

Yes, I've got some pretty strange reconnecting stories, my body doing stuff that was out of my conscious control - vomiting, coughing, making strange noises, burping, farting, rumbling. And then all those dam tears.

It is horrible, but essential, and perhaps a relief? Cathartic? I think that I find EMDR cathartic. There is a sense of going through something, of re-experiencing it and mastering it, getting the better of it or perhaps even 'knowing' it and being able to name it.

Good luck with it all, whatever your choice!

dust

10. cragger65

cragger65 I'm a VIP

Dust, that sounds very promising. Maybe that's what I need. I think I'm going to ask my T to revisit her notes on leading an EMDR session with me. I hate the idea of having to get to know a different therapist, and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable doing it with someone else (I've been seeing her for a few years).

Another thing to add to my to-do list of healing.

thanks,
    Dave

11. sallysellsseashells

sallysellsseashells Active Member

I don't like the sounds of TIR or EMDR. It sounds re-traumatizing, like talkning about it in court, except the bad guy doesn't get put away...

Why do this?

How can making yourself experience it again, make you feel better about it? I don't get it?

12. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

EMDR is not just about re-experiencing but rather putting it in it's proper place in your brain so that you don't have to continue re-experiencing. PTSD is about re-experiencing over and over and over. EMDR helps to stop that. Avoiding it sure as hell doesn't work that's for sure.

13. fin

fin I'm a VIP

I agree avoidance just wont do it, I ahve tried to continue not so much avoiding but just not knowing hwo to keep going in the end. And now I have read this thread and everything in it, I am wondering again about EMDR treatment being effective for me, I am hoping that it might be , it sounds like it would, because this is me I have constantly lived with it all the time reminding me, and there has been no respite from it until I came here.

If EMDR treatment could help me I would take that as a good place to try to work again through this. I have read a lot also though that says it does not owrk so well with C-PTSD which while I do not go in for labels concerns me-because I would not want to get worse. Worse; while I know we go through stages of fluctuation in therapy and managing the pTSD and we can backwards as well as forwards, I am certainly worried that I might suffer more prolonged damage and that is of concern and I think it is rigth that we should be concerned for facing a new challenge that we or i maybe do not have all the information for, and could probably could spend the rest of our lives researching.

While I know there is no and probably will not be a quick fix ever, I am still hopefull of regaining some life for myself and the furture is important to me. I had this picture I made up of things I wanted yet to do, and it was important to me. While I am not necessarily yet able to focus on any future i may have, I certainly hope that one day I will begin to fulfill some dreams I may find for myself or have again.

I like the alien analogy though, a lot of that made sense- I am smiling, at this, because while I love space and I do think all sorts of things are possible and I have tried to let go of thinking that there are aliens, I have not really thought of myself as having ever been abducted by them. Although again maybe this is my fear not letting me face somethings because I am aware that even as writing this the thought has crossed my mind more than once in the past and I always pushed it aside as ridiculous. BUt I am begining to look at a lot of my life now and maybe some of what has been written here in regard to this idea is closer to home than I might be able to accept today at this moment in time.

I know I need to find some more clarity, I think perhaps we all do on this subject because it is a dangerous one for sure, no doubt in my mind on that.

I am not sure anymore why I started writing this, I hope that this is ok to put this out there....OOoooooOOh sorry my bad!!! just thinking about al lot of things now...andmy sense of humour keeps kicking in...I do think perhaps it does protect and cushionme ...perhaps more than I know or even have realised until now.

hah!!!
    ~me