• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Am i the only frequent mover

Status
Not open for further replies.
We moved ALOT when I was a kid and thought that was why I always wanted to move but realized when I got married 20 yrs ago that I was running and it took a loooong time for me to fight the impulse, I started by rearranging the furniture/painting walls/remodeling every time I had the urge to run, although I didn't realize it then. My poor Hubby lol

I've moved a lot. My first move was cross country at 19, then again five months later in with a roommate, then the same place for 14 years, then after the divorce, I've moved 7 or 8 times in the last 7 years. I move a lot.

I was raised to move. The family moved twice before grade school. There were 10 moves during the school years. There have been 24 moves since, to date, with one more to come (we want to buy a home soon). I believe this is why I never make close friends. If I move, they all get left behind. That is what all the school moves taught me. It was/is too painful to get too attached. Now, in my "golden years", there are very few people in my life that I can rely on for close friendships. The four that I have all live out of state, so life is a bit lonely. Moving all the time was an adventure and I really liked to move. Having never known stability, to stay in one place for more than a few years, caused me great angst. I always felt like I had to keep moving, hoping each move would be a new beginning that would wipe out all the trauma and feelings of being unwanted. I know now that moving is not going to change anything but the scenery!

Sounds very familiar as regards my situation.
Some days, I feel desperate to move and just say, “Chuck it all and take the risk.”
But, having weighed the pros and cons, the potential risks terrify me so much.

Damned if I do and damned if I don’t.

This is a neat thread.
Always thought moving was great....due to the oft-mentioned feeling of wanting to “make a fresh start.” Moving to a new place always seemed exciting, always felt really good about getting to a new place. Hoping each new place would get rid of the past. Feeling stuck on and off now. I sometimes think that my therapist thinks I should move. I obsess over this and catastrophize about whether or not I should move. When I think of moving, sometimes I feel like I wish I could just pack my bags and my dogs and walk out the door and never look back. Then, when I seriously start looking at places - even if it is just searching for a new place via the Internet - PANIC sets in. Heart palpitations, my stomach gets in a knot, and I start having nightmares galore. Some days I’m ready to take a flying leap, so to speak. On other days, I’m terrified as hell to leave.
When I look back at some of the places I have lived, I try to learn from my past mistakes and housing choices. The thought of making a mistake terrifies me in this regard. But, the thought of turning on my heel and throwing all of this behind me sounds like a very powerful and freeing thing to do. I am currently living in the place where I spent well over a decade in a living hell with no means of escape. All the memories here do feel suffocating sometimes. I feel like I am waiting to get away. I am sure that is why my therapist probably thinks I should move. Well, maybe I should ask her to pay for a new place… LOL.
I have thought of taking a small vacation. That might be beneficial. Or, a cheaper vacation that would probably be peaceful would be to pitch my two-person tent in the backyard and open the top flap and stare up at the stars, with just me and the dogs

No, we are moving now and hate it. Living with my family is bad enough I could never live with anyone I was not related to. I could live alone. I am married It's good I want to be settled down. I wish we could have had the house the kids grew up in so they could always go home but were not able to. We are going to get used to moving now. We are downsizing.

This is a neat thread.
Always thought moving was great....due to the oft-mentioned feeling of...
Aargh....LOL.
Well, A realtor who has been sending me emails of various properties for the last few weeks has found two places that interest me. I emailed her back saying that I was interested in looking at two of them. That is stupid of me. Or, maybe it is not. It in no way obligates me to anything. Maybe it will be good for me to just get out and go and look. One of the places so far across town that I am ready to throw in the towel right now and not even consider it. I feel like “shutting down“ over it all. However, another place is in town and close to lots of stuff and even has a pool in the community. It is all 1-level, which is something I have been looking for. Yet, of course, I have my fears and panics whether they are realistic or not. It is so hard to try to make up my mind over this. One time I promised myself that I would wait a few years before considering making a move again. I have been at the current residence for almost 6 years now. It has worked out very well for me. I have the feeling that my brain will find reasons not to move, which is possibly a very good thing. The community in town does not have sidewalks. There! That is a good enough reason not to consider it! Now, I have decimated the possibility of moving to either place. :) Now, time for my regularly scheduled anxiety attack....LOL. Absolutely frozen with panic at the thought of making an irrevocable and life-ruining mistake. Heck, the last time I made a real estate decision, it was damn close to life-ruining. Note to self: never get into a property that has a bullet hole in a window, even if you think, That just adds character.”
Plus,....I’d have neighbors.....neighbors.....neighbors....as if there isn’t already sufficient evil unto the day. ;)
Hmmm...pitching a tent in the yard sounds quite appealing right now.
But... what if I could get to a place that just felt better. I mean, that is the point. The way I feel. You matter where I go, reality is that I will be exchanging one set of problems for another. I definitely would prefer to minimize problems. At the same time, there is no emergency. I do not know what miracle expect to happen if I wait another three years before making a decision about “to move or not to move.“
Watch and see.... I will have talk myself out of this foolishness of moving within the next 15 minutes, guaranteed!

I dream of a day when all my ID matches again. I have moved so many times in the last 12 years that I now exist in three different provinces and most of the ID is all still valid as I haven’t reached expiration. The last time everything matched was three years ago. I remember setting all my ID and paper work on my dining room table and celebrating that everything matched. Such a small thing to be happy about but yeah. I often refer to Stompin Tom Connors ‘I am the wind’ when I think of my travelling exploits!

That was a real chuckle! Forgive me for laughing, but it just sounds awesome and funny at the same time. Love it!

That’s another fear I have about moving. Scared I won’t be able to get all my mail forwarded and that someone will screw around with my identity or something. Hell, I’ve long wanted to change my name too. Ahh... another PTSD-related quirk/tic yet again. LOL.

Got to go take some cold medicine now. Throat is getting scratchy and I’m starting to feel like poop. Yeah. Anyway, have a great rest of your day! And, thank you for sharing your experience and part of your story. Puts a little lift in my spirits today. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - (brand new, first reply) I've moved more times than I am years alive - by far. I'm always trying to find a home outside myself that feels safe and comfortable. But since it's my insides that don't feel safe and comfortable, no home will ever truly meet my needs. Maybe someday...maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back