• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

American Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucycat

Sponsor
As a very naive Englishwoman in Scotland, I have realised through this forum that I know nothing about Thanksgiving.

Please can you explain to me ( In words of one syllable) what it is celebrating and how you celebrate it?

Here we have St Andrew's Night this weekend. I suspect not many of you celebrate that one!!

OK, here's goes.

When the Pilgrims came here to America to escape religious persecution they established a small colony in what is now the New England part of our country. They knew little of the ways of living and were struggling just to survive. The Native Americans that lived where they did saw how they were not getting on very well. This is a harvest time of year but the Pilgrims had little. The Native Americans came to them with food and shared what they had. It was a great feast, a time of 'Thanksgiving'. A time to remember others in need as well as yourself.

Although the ways of it have changed over time, if you're lucky you try to remember how lucky you are to have what you do. If I remember my history, and it's been a long long time, I think that's the gist of it.

Even in bad times I've always tried to take some time on this day to give Thanks for all that I do have. Just being alive, having my wife with me and my dogs as well. Being in a warm house with food on the table. It's truly the simple things in life that can bring the most joy. I and I'm sure we all spend so much time dealing with our 'troubles' that it's hard to think that there is anything good or worth going on for. Truth is, there is.

Sorry I can't do the one word and short syllable thing. And if I got a bit sappy, again, sorry. Hope what ever day you celebrate, either here or there it's a good one.

JarHed

Thanks @JarHed that is very helpful. However what particular date is chosen and why - or is it? Maybe it changes each year like Easter does?

Do you just have any celebratory meal - or a particular meal like we have Turkey and sprouts in the UK for Christmas?

Is it just about food or do you give each other gifts? Is it a public holiday - so everybody gets the day off work - or does it depend where you live?

It revolves more around family than anything else. It is the last Thursday in November. I believe Abraham Lincoln made it a national holiday, but I'm not sure who picked the last thursday in November. There is usually a big meal (with Turkey being the centerpiece) and then people kind of veg out after that, watch football etc. There are no gifts, it is generally just a family get together, or barring that any kind of get together with a big meal.

It's always the 4th Thursday in November. Last year we had 5 Thursdays in November and the longest possible Christmas shopping season. This year thanksgiving is the latest date possible which makes for the shortest holiday buying season in the US. More than you wanted to know, lol.

I believe everyone above is correct. It was made a national holiday. It's typical that turkey is the main meal. Probably due to it's abundance in the woods of those earlier times. Probably in those times it coincided more with the end of harvest and laying away stores for the coming winter.

There are probably many festivals and thanksgiving days in many countries with roots going back to a more agrarian time. People then lived more in tune with the rising and setting of the sun, the cycles of the moon and seasonal changes.

Today here it seems for a kickoff for the holiday season with mass consumption and shopping.Not sure how football, American type, got tangled up in there but it has.

Or in the case of those of us that live in Canada, Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October.

In my family we get together with a large group of friends, everyone cooks one or two dishes each and it is like a potluck. With turkey, ham, stuffing, sweet potatoes, veggies, and lots of other delicious foods.

Thanksgiving was named a national holiday by Abraham Lincoln in 1863 during the american civil war. it was originally on the 30th of October, but was later changed to the fourth Thursday in November. It is a day set aside for giving thanks to God for his abundant blessings to our family, friends and country.

Ever since moving to Canada, getting introduced to Thanksgiving, it has been a diner invitation with a family with other immigrants to Canada, that have no family in this country (hosts included). Very comforting experience, my firts 'turkey importance' also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back