• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

An Event For Christians (and Interested Nonchristians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gs172003

MyPTSD Pro
I think this is in California but I'm not sure. This is a Christian event advocating for mental health.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154484828202569&substory_index=0&id=105128507568

If you've heard of the purpose driven life book, the writer and his wife lost their son to suicide. The writer is also a pastor of a huge church called saddleback church that has campuses all-over the world. He has a huge heart for service so he has a ministry that includes free groups for people to get together and help each other through any problem. If interested in that...

Home

It is a myth that believers are always blamed for their mental illness. That is not in the mainstream. We are called as Christians to open our hearts to those hurting and this reflects that.

Awesome thank you!

I'm in Celebrate Recovery, which started at Saddleback, and it's SOOOO instrumental in my life changing. I'm also in a small group for women based on this group. I would never have looked for an EMDR therapist and found mine without it.

My church is also helping me move into a home after I lost mine. They are the only ones who didn't abandon me during my CPTSD.

Awesome thank you!

I'm in Celebrate Recovery, which started at Saddleback, and it's SOOOO instrum...
So glad to hear of a church [real Christians] that actually helped you. It somewhat restores my hope. My personal experience is not good.
I was actually flat-out Rejected/abandoned & Shamed/shunned WHILE having trauma/PTSD symptoms by the "pastor" himself which in
itself was yet another shock/ trauma. Of course, such increased/worsened my {then} current suffering. It took months to stabilize from it.
This particular man has the title & the position, but... well...enough said. Haven't been to any church since, but I am starting to consider the possibility of risking different church someday {not anytime soon} AFTER I thoroughly check-out the leadership. Celebrate Recovery may
be a way to fellowship & experience some recovery using biblical principles. Maybe this coming Spring. There's a weekly, evening CR
held at a church about 15 miles away. Driving, especially in Winter, after sundown & on highways is still too triggering.
Pray YOU are holy healed into healthy wholeness. Pray God blesses EACH person who helped you. Amen.

@Ann Barry Thanks for writing your authentic story!

I am so sorry ot tell you that that church turned out to be more like a cult and I ended up having to look for a lawyer for protection. I decided not to pursue legal action (was going to file a civil harassment restraining order) because so far they are behaving and the sexual and civil harassment have ended.

My trauma diary is called Freedom Dance and I start to talk about the cult there.

Celebrate Recovery is still AMAZING and I attend 5 lol. I have a home group that I've received my gold chip from (1 year in recovery), and then I moved from the suburbs back into the city, so I've been rotating through 4 different groups trying to find a new home. none of them can replace the home group, so I basically attend all 4 lol. I'm a CR junkie. One week I actually did attend 4 and it was intense, but mostly I just attend on whatever days I don't have other events/bible studies. CR is the only place that understands what it's like to have trauma, CPTSD, abuses, addictions, mental illnesses, etc. It's a place I can say anything and tell the truth of my brokenness.

That cult did so much to harm me, and other churches are well-meaning but grossly unable to deal with trauma. Christians have said nonstop rude, boundary-less, and downright stupid things to me. When I first wrote this I was still in my second year as a believer. Now that I'm starting my third year, I'm unfortunately wiser to the rampant hypocrisy and judgmental nature of so much churchianity (as I heard someone call it once.)

I still love God, and I still read the bible every single day, attend church events 6 out of 7 days of the week, fellowship, bible study, pray, learn about Jesus. But I'm no longer naive to how disgusting the church can act, and I'm learning to accept the fact that so much abuse and misogyny is tolerated and even promoted in our religion.

@Ann Barry Thanks for writing your authentic story!

I am so sorry ot tell you...
You have a story to tell {Freedom Dance}, for sure. THX for sharing some of your experiences here & replying to me!.
So, we can see that we're not alone in our Hurt-by-Christians histories. Yep, hypocrisy, shaming ignorance, misogyny...
To be abused, injured, re-injured inside of a church by people who label themselves "Christians" is.....
...but YOU are an inspiration to me, so I pray you're abundantly blessed, sister in Christ.
"Fear not. Believe only. She {you & me} shall be made whole" - somewhere in New Testament. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back