• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

An inability to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - when I have looked into not being able to cry, it doesn't look all that positive. Seemingly, it can be a symptom of severe depression. I have only recently faced that I struggle with depression. I struggle because I think I should be able to wish it away. That hasn't worked for me yet.

I seriously question if I will ever be able to cry again. I keep confronting situations that should evoke so much emotion and yet I have nothing. I used to "fake" being upset just to fit in. ( if I swallowed a certain way and left my mouth open I could make my eyes water). I would carry around tissues that I had bunched up in my hand - I brought an onion slice to a funeral - all this so I could cry when I was suppose to.
Now I don't seem to care enough to "fake" my crying. I just do nothing and know people think I am strong. Recently a our maintenance crew where I work called me tough as nails and could handle anything. On one hand a compliment and on another hand if they only knew how removed I am which is why my feeling and emotion is gone. . .

I struggle with severe depression and anxiety and havenfor quite a few years. I've never been able to cry "normally." It's always been incredibly difficult no matter how often I want/need to. But what help me TRY to cry (mostly) is listening to song about depression, suicide, selfharm, etc. which I know sounds really bad, but that is the only thing that can actually get me at least into that pre-cry stage. Although I still rarely cry. I can't even remember when I last did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back