• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

normalrob

New Here
Hi Folks,

Last night I was sitting listening to music on my headphones. I've always stayed away from music from my adolescence because it was too triggering, but last night I listened to some old music. I was struck by just how angry the music was, all metal, lots of shouting etc. I remember being completely absorbed in this music everywhere I went, it seemed to give me an escape at that time.

I was so angry back then, but wasn't aloud to show it. It was calm on the out side, but I have never realised the amount of anger that was just under the surface. That anger is still there and wanting to come out, does anyone have any idea's for getting this out safely?

Very early days, but I feel I've made a step forward in understanding my past emotional state.

Good for you in making some progress and for posting here at the forum!

I can very much relate to the connection between music and emotions. Maybe not the exact issue - anger, but that feelings were allowed "out" of myself only via the music. Music would let me go places in my mind that I was unable to get to or that I was afraid to go to. I would journal a lot or act out many times because of the feelings/memories the music would evoke. To heal, however, I have stayed away from this music for a while as I am easily triggered as well. I've spent a lot of time with spa music just to keep myself connected to the planet. I do listen to other music now, but am trying to be careful and to be mindful of what I can handle in terms of my emotions.

For me, and from what I've read, it seems we need to learn about coping mechanisms and grounding techniques before we can actually work safely with certain feelings or memories. Some techniques I'm trying are spending time in nature, journaling, thought tracking, gentle stretching, trying to walk (emphasis on trying), and working on mindfulness and self-compassion. If you have a therapist, that is definitely a resource to tap.

I think coming out here and reading what others share is also helpful. I have discovered so much through the sharing of others. I have also learned about human compassion. I feel it out here and I see it out here. I'll share a 12 step saying with you that seems to pull me through tough times - It works if you work it, so work it you're worth it. It means to keep on working on yourself because you're worth it. It takes time and effort, and a whole lot of patience, but you're worth it. Best to you. VB

Hi Folks,

Last night I was sitting listening to music on my headphones. I've always stayed away fro...
Your statement reminds of the anger phases of PTSD, used to listen to such music myself, but as time went by and I got healthier I was able to concentrate on peaceful music and to concentrate on healing more and more. But yeah, looking back, I am often surprised how that all changed.

I still have raging anger issues, eleven years after diagnosis. I moved to the mountains a few years ago and try to channel my negative energy into being in nature. It doesn't hurt that I moved away from a city with lots of bad history either - and it works most of the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back