1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Animal Friends - My Passion, My Love For Them

Discussion in 'Social' started by jade, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jade

jade Active Member

I have always loved animals ever since I can remember. For me I get along much better with them than I do people. I have a really big heart where they are concerned. Always brought home injured animals to nurse them back be they domesticated or wild. I guess the biggest thing for me is they don't judge you they won't leave when the going gets tough and the biggest reason they love unconditionally. Is there anyone else that feels that way? Just curious.

One of my biggest dreams is to set up a wolf/dog sanctuary. They are a very misread breed and there are a lot of them out there that are crying out for help. But like I said it's just a dream. I would have to win the lottery to pull this one off.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Jade, do you think you get along better with animals than people because they don't answer back? Their needs are very simple, without complication even? Animals show loyalty without wanting anything in return?

4. wildcritter44

wildcritter44 Active Member

Jade,

I understand what you are saying about your animals.
    I was raised on a cattle & sheep ranch. We always had dogs & horses as well. I was raised pretty much as an only child. As my two much older half brothers were in high school and pretty gone by the time I was old enough to remember them. My oldest brother(14yrs older than me) went into the Navy
    & left. then the younger brother (10 yrs older than me) left to go live with their dad. (My dad was an AH to them) I don't blame them for wanting to leave. Had I have been very smart I too would have left as soon as I turned 18 yrs.
    Back to being raised an only child style.. my horses & dogs were my best friends. They were alway there for me. They never told anyone our secerts. We loved one another unconditionally. To this very day I still love my animals with a devoted love that is different and better than the feeling I feel for people.
    The animals can communicate with us. They can tell us if they are having an off day or if they hurt or are scared.
    I don't have any $$ but there are santuaries out there for all kinds of animals, that maybe you can find one near you to help out at.
    We currently own a mare (horse) that some one in her past had beaten. It is so sad. She is sweet & loving. She wasm we believe a race horse that never was good enough for the track. She has surgerial scars on one foot. She was trained to ride. She just doesn't know very about a lot of things. She can walk fast. She can run fast and doesn't want to stop. She didn't know what just walking around thru creeks, timber, over hills, around the cattle, deer, bobcats, etc. was all about. She was scared of everything for any reason. After a year of working with her, she is much better. She is still jumpy, but better. Like anyone abused -- she isn't forgetting it. She is neverous when ever she is around most people.
    I too, could do a santuary for abused and injury animals. I love them very much.
    The whole story on the mare is : we rescued her from a slaughter house in WA state. My daughter got her for her step-dad as a fathers day gift. He always wanted a horse. What we didn't know was she was PG. So 10 months almost to the day, she dropped a beautiful little filly foal (girl). She is the sweetest thing.. She is almost 9 months old now. We halter broke her, and worked with teaching her to get into & out of a trailer. She is good about just being played with. You can lift her feet and clean & clip them. We even just put a saddle on her and let it sit there. She not afraid of anything we do. I love her so much.. She is so very sweet. I keep hoping we don't have to get rid of her because we have so little money to buy hay. We buy it from neighbors that raise it, so it is cheaper than getting it from a feed store.
    Sorry I wrote a book.
    HUgs to you.
    D

5. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Although I understand this (just ask my dog, LOL) I see this as avoidance of risk. Loving our pets has no risk attached to it whereas people do. Rather a easy reason eh?

Bec

6. jade

jade Active Member

Animals can answer back you just have to know how to read them. Depending on the animal their needs can be complex and far from simple. Animals will show loyalty yes but you need to earn their trust also. They have needs. An abused animal won't show loyalty to their owner they will fight back or cower and hide.

Bec, I have to disagree with you(sorry) but in loving anything there is always a risk.

WC There are a few sanctuaries around the area but my fear of people keep me pretty much in the house. We also had a mare she died this spring. My husband bought her for me. She was a registered standardbred trained as a pacer. They pushed her too hard too young and she ended up with bowed tendons so they couldn't race her any more. Feathers like your mare was headed to the slaughter house and she was only 2 at the time she was rescued. The day she died I was with her until the end. It hurt like hell knowing that there was nothing that I could do for her except try to make her as comfortable as I could.
    My oldest dog,Tanner, is a sable shepherd. I got him from my step-father who was a constable for one of our local towns. Tanner was a year and a half old when he came into my life. He had been beaten severly and was half starved. He only weighed 40 pounds. So I took him home and started working with him. We took to each other quickly. It took my husband nearly a year to be able to get near him close enogh to pet him. He dose not trust men. I know he would give his life for me. When we go for walks he isn't on a leash he takes my hand in his mouth and we walk hand in mouth.God I do love that dog.

7. kers

kers I'm a VIP

It's so rewarding to work with an animal that's been abused or hurt and to see it come 'round and trust someone like that. You must be really proud of yourself (and of the dog)!

8. jade

jade Active Member

I didn't give myself the recognition now that you mention it but yes I am very proud of Tanner for the strides that he's made especially after what he went through. We both know that we are safe with the other. My most impressive memory of his progress was shortly after he came home. Still very shy and timid at the time. One of the weter men came to read the meter one day. Different one than normal. He made me nervous, hung around just a little too long. When he turned to try to approach me Tanner came out of the house and put himself between me and the man. He never barked or growled but pushed up so hard against me like he was trying to get me back in the house. The guy took one look at him and promptly left. Even being as under weight as he was at the time he is a very large dog. I love my tan-tan as much as I do my own children.

9. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

I agree Jade. Wolves are very much misunderstood. They are my favourite animal as well. When I visited Russia I had a friend who took me into the forest one day and I saw a Wolf Pack in the wild. I was down-wind from them so they could not smell me. It was the most moving experience I have ever had. I felt honoured to be there.

10. jade

jade Active Member

Scott, I can only begin to imagine what the experience was like to see them in the wild. There is a sanctuary in a Neighboring state that has to relocate. I am hoping that they stay in the area. Would just like the opportunity of observation. I envy you.

11. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

Hi Jade
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah I agree. I love reading about the Red Indian Culture about wolves and how they have a special spirit about them and that they are apart of the land just as they are. The Aboriginies of Australia have a similar view of everything around them, I find it fascinating.
    They are talking about re-introducing wolves into the wild here in Scotland. I hope that one day they succeed, and that the farmers leave them alone.
    My other favourite animal is the Tiger. They are beautiful, graceful and one of the most magnificent animals there is in the world. Like the wolf they need to be protected NOW.
    People have told me that I am an animal person and that I have a calming nature around animals. For instance. One day I was walking along a country road and this horse was walking by with a young girl on top. The horse was spooked about something, but I managed to calm the horse down by talking to it and patting its nose.
    Another time a friend and I were visiting a safari park and we were watching the lions through a large fence. There were 3 lionesses and one male, and the male was roaring at me. So I said to the lion SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN. And it did. I was gobsmacked, and the game warden asked me how I managed that as that was the most bad tempered lion in the park.
    I have a 13 year old collie x called Sparkie and he is quite a character, he talks away to you and howls like a wolf when it is time for his walk.
    Cheers Jade
    Scott:music:

12. jade

jade Active Member

Totally relate to the animal person. Have always had a way with them too. I have been lucky enough to have an array of small wild animals feel comfortable enough to approach and even eat from my hand. Rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, birds. My son has the patience for it now also. Hes had a couple of chipmunks eating out of his hand.

13. jade

jade Active Member

My greatest passion has been horses. Been pulling apart my problems with my dad and found something I had forgotten. I was between 7 and 9 years of age at the time. There was a man that worked with my dad and he had a atallion that he could not tame. He even went as far as to tie the horse to the back of his truck and drove around trying to exhaust the horse enough to be able to just approach him. It didn't work. He was so fed up with the animal he told my dad that the first person who could get that horse to come to them they could have him. I begged and begged for my dad to take me to him because I knew I could do it. Just give me a week just let me try. His answer to both questions was no. Not because he was afraid that I would get hurt but because he knew that I would do it. We couldn't have that. Why give me the chance at making my self happy and in turn save an animals life. The man never found anyone to take the horse and dad came home one day and said I had better just get it out of my head because the man had shot the horse. I hate him for denieing me the opportunity to help the horse and for not allowing me just a little bit of happiness. I blamed him for the stallions death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. animal wild is my passion

Show Sidebar