• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Another Nest To Watch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owl.

Confident
Now that the eaglets are rapidly approaching their fledging day, here's a little (literally!) treat for those who are not yet ready for the time of bird-watching to end for the season. :)

Dutch Little Owl nesting-box cam:
http://www.beleefdelente.nl/vogel/steenuil
The giant ploof of feathers on cam 2 is sitting on four eggs expected to hatch on or around May 23.

The second box (cameras 4-6) isn't occupied at the moment, although a male keeps dragging various snacks of the rodent-y kind in there, so even though it's fairly late in the season, I won't stop cheering for the involuntary bachelor while he's still hopeful. :)

These cameras have been topping my springtime-streaming list for years now. Some of the other nests listed all the way at the top are still active as well, so if you're not all that into owls, there's always another option.
(I won't even be too insulted if you pick some other creature over the most badass and hilarious ones. ;) )

Word of warning, though: This live-feed comes with sound - and Mama's got rather remarkable vocal capacities for one so small.

And now...enjoy. :inlove::happy:

I've always found those glimpses into the lives of animals one usually can't observe this intimately to be absolutely fascinating.
Lotte the Eagle Owl unfortunately chose to move her clutch to a different spot this year and is now sitting behind a freakin' tree or I would've shared her stream as well. She's a fierce mama. :)

The Littles are considerably more entertaining, though! Rarely a truly dull moment.
I've laughed, cried, cheered and raged at their stream more than I ever did at most other forms of entertainment. Even their most painful moments offer a sense of tranqulity.

What absolutely sold me on this lot, though, was the 2010 season.
They were still in their old box, which had an entrance tunnel (a lot like the second box has now) and a rather gutsy dove chose to nest in there.
Almost twice the size of the owls, she apparently thought she could take over the house, kept threatening and bothering them whenever they went in or out and was just generally being a pest and a squatter.

She was sitting right underneath the tunnel-cam, so we never really got to see her - until Mama Owl decided she had F***IN' HAD IT with that bitch blocking her entranceway.

It's been six years - almost to the day! - and that moment still is a (gore-free and utterly badass) joy to behold, so here ya go. :D

I love this one because it has more cameras and sound. it really makes it so much more interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back