• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay guys so I'm not really sure how to use this website yet so be patient with me. I am an 18 year old girl (also demipansexual ENFP if anyone on here cares lol) who has a narcissistic mother. (And yes, I'm sure) I have PTSD and for the longest time I thought I had BPD. I just want to know if there are other people on here in my situation who I could talk to? (People with narcissistic mothers who developed PTSD as a result)

I know how you feel. Thought i was borderline too but a lot of this feeling of impending doom and abandonment is all part of this wonderful trauma package :banghead:

Had an abusive mother and later a narcissistic step mom. My wife and i have both been through similar shit with narcissists. Including a boss that tried to drag us into her little cult.

And people are rather welcoming here. So i dont think youll get much judgement for your sexuality. I take it youre a tumblrite lol (i dont mean this in a bad way at all)

Go ahead and message me if you need some advice friend

Tried to self diagnose bpd years ago, but intense and unstable never described my side of the relationship, but I certainly was along for the ride more than once with a true borderline.
I'm a shrink and only just this month got it that my mom is npd. Hard to see in women (for me at least).
Be careful online, at your age use this as a reminder that you are the sane one but for all of us oldsters who wish we'd gotten it sooner use this reassurance to get out there in the real world and connect with the family you deserved (i.e. healthy, well boundaried peers and mentors).

To further explain I pathologized myself and spent valuable time on depression forums in my 20s. Breaking free of bad relationships, frequent therapy, fun and setting and meeting my goals --> way more bang for my buck. But web forums did help me then and now.

Welcome, Carmen. NPD mother, check. PTSD, check. Other traumas, check.

I think it is so good that you have recognized this about your mother at such an early age. It took me a few years away at college to realize how abnormal and harmful she was and then decades of therapy to learn how to deal with her without trashing myself.

I hope you have a good therapist?

I'm glad you have older adults for support. You could also try applying for Medicaid through your county's social/family services office. It helps a lot toward paying for therapy. It's a pain to apply for, but very well worth it.

Hi Carmen,
Welcome to the forum !

Narcissistic people in my family of origin? Oh yes, I can trace narcissistic behaviour and trauma back to at least the year 1800. It probably goes back a lot further than that.

I haven't seen any signs on here (on the sufferer side, i don't know about some of the supporters) of anyone getting upset about someone else's sexuality or gender identity, pan, poly, mono, cis, trans... we tend to be here to learn to live our own lives the best we can, rather than busybodying with other people's lives.

I can definitely recommend getting a good therapist. It's worth getting a job to pay for it. I put it off for years, wishing that I'd started in my teens.

People with narcissistic mothers who developed PTSD as a result
Hi, @Carmen J. Brown - welcome.

I'm curious; were you diagnosed with PTSD formally, or is it something you suspect that you have?

Narcissism on its own doesn't necessarily create a PTSD-level trauma. Some behaviors exhibited by narcissists may do so.

This is not to say that you aren't suffering, or that your pain or experiences are not valid - not in the least :). Only that it's good to get as close to the right mental health diagnosis as possible, because it will connect to different treatment approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back