1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anthony, Can You Explain More About That Mental Imagery and Dreams?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Member

It's just that I have a lot of wierd dreams from my own troubled chidlhood, and now from what is going on with W and his PTSD, sometimes they intermingle. Maybe some of our problems stem back to my childhood and unresolved things from then that is blocking me being able to support W ??

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Lee, the best thing you could do, is simply do the [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread2411.html"]mental imagery interview[/DLMURL] and I will give you your own results. Mental imagery is not about dreams, it is about accessing the sub-conscious brain, the very place where all our memories are stored. Our brain does not store memories as words, but images. The world as we see it is far to big for us to store every detail uniquely, so our mind captures everything we see, smell, touch, taste and hear in images, and those images are what we recall from, not unique aspects. Some people in life are very good and accessing their stored images, you would generally know them as people with a photographic memory, in that they see something, the mind takes a snapshot, and they can access it readily with detail. The rest of us, our snapshots go in, they sit around the conscious brain for a little while, then they get pushed down into the sub-conscious. The more we need to remember readily, the further back other aspects of life get pushed down, making it harder to recall, yet they haven't gone anywhere, they aren't lost, just buried a little. The mind captures in the form of images, so the best way to get the information back, is through specific detail in recalling those images, without the conscious brain really knowing what is going on.