• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

General Any advice welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigsister78

New Here
My brother is suffering from CPTSD since returning home from Afghanistan 4 years ago. He has been hospitalised 3 times already this year and moved in with our sister after his last stint in hospital and things are getting worse. He is becoming increasingly aggressive and abusive towards her, he has lied about going to see his therapist every fortnight (we found out he hasn't been since June) and has started drinking heavily (in some cases driving places when their backs are turned after drinking a bottle of wine) It is taking a serious toll on my sisters mental health as well as her new marriage. He refuses to be hospitalised and we just don't know what to do anymore. Has anyone else experienced this as a family member or can give advice on what other options we have? Thank you

Yes. My son. Same issues. Call the military help line. They will give you advice. She's going to have to give him some tough love and stand her ground for him to get help. It's a fine line to walk.

My son went through rehab at the VS twice. Is now off all meds, has a PTSD device dog, married and had a baby girl do next Month. All because we came together as a family and did an intervention and stopped enabling him. Hardest and smartest thing I've ever done.

Different personalities deal differently with PTSD. I'm sorry to hear that your brother has developed this disorder and I'm also sorry that he's in such a bad place and that you and your family are also suffering.
I'm a sufferer and not a supporter and I responded very differently to my PTSD, so I'm sorry that I have no good advice for you; but I did want to reply with some compassion because PTSD is so difficult for everyone involved.

Just a minor terminology thing - CPTSD sometimes refers to Combat PTSD and sometimes refers to Complex PTSD. I assume you mean Combat PTSD in this context.

Sadly, if he will not help himself short of having him admitted as an involuntary patient - which doctors will normally only do if he is dangerous to others or himself - there is very little you or anyone else can do for him. Sorry to hear that you and your family are going through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back