1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Any dispatchers out there?

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by Freida, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

Done done. Done. Can't handle one more call from the child who found her mom hanging in the garage, or the elderly lady trying to do CPR or one more officer screaming for help. It's been all over the news... 6 dead in two days. Are you as tired if it as I am? So why can't I cry?

leehalf and Friday like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. brokenEMT

brokenEMT Well-Known Member

I was a dispatcher before becoming an emt. Sending support your way.

4. Freida

Thanks! I was having a tough night and then I made the mistake of watching the news...which I know is a bad combo.

5. woundedmind

woundedmind Member

I was a fire dispatcher/911 call taker with a very large poplulation county (Los Angeles County) in the state of California, USA, although I don't attribute my CPTSD from there but some things that happened there didn't help and for a while hearing a standard ringtone from old fashioned phones made feel as if someone dying was on the other end of the line every time and caused a feeling of dread.

6. Freida

Yep -- that's it exactly. My ptsd comes from my military stint -- and I couldn't have picked a worse career field to go into afterwards. Talk about compartmentalizing!

7. loui50

loui50 Active Member

I was a dispatcher before becoming a cop. It was a long bad road to travel. My PTSD is from my cop days, but I think dispatching contributed too.

8. Freida

yiikes! that's a double whammy....:eek::(

Simply Simon likes this.