• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

physicist13

Confident
I'm wondering if anyone on here (with PTSD) is a doctor.
I've wanted to be a surgeon for many years, and I just started college so now is the time to start getting serious about studies and the future. I just wondering if becoming a doctor is too ambitious considering I sometimes have difficulty with basic tasks/ functioning. I'm guess I'm just wondering if I should lower my goals to a life for suitable for someone with PTSD.
I wish I could say that I'm no different than before I had this, but if I am being honest I do think it might be somewhat limiting. I really really want to be a doctor, but I'm trying to be realistic...

I'm not a doctor, but I'm studying to be a school psychologist. I'm in my internship year. My mom is also a school psychologist (although she doesn't have PTSD) so I grew up knowing what it entails.

The job I'm going into is arguably a stress heavy job, so I think it's pretty ambitious of me to take on. I think I'm doing okay. I went to graduate school knowing it would be harder for me than other people without my diagnosis, but I don't want to let PTSD stop me from trying to achieve what I want to do in life.

If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out, but at least I don't have the question of never knowing if I couldn't do this job that I really believe in and want to do.

I hope this helps, even though I'm not a doctor.

I'm not a doctor, but I worked full time and put myself through engineering school. I had to take an occasional semester off because I'm a single parent too... but anything is possible.

Just listen to yourself and work hard. Be realistic with yourself.

I'm wondering if anyone on here (with PTSD) is a doctor.
I've wanted to be a surgeon for many years...

Physicist13, you should go for it. Push hard. Take your abilities as far as you can. Learn what your limitations or weaknesses are, work around them, and keep going. You may or may not be a brain surgeon, but there are a hell of a lot of cool options out there, surgical and otherwise. Your studies can help you keep your mind off PTSD some, so you don't obsess about it quite as much. Don't ignore it (PTSD), get help, but don't let it control your life. You are not here to lead a limited or boring life. Pursue your dreams, and do not look back. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back