• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Natural Disaster Anyone affected by harvey? checking in.

• Thread starter Deleted member 37474
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to teach clarinet for 6 hours today. It makes me forget that I have ptsd when I teach clarinet. It makes me so happy! I love my students. Two of them that came had houses that took in water. The boy is 12 and was telling me all of the help he has been giving others. He lost his bed in the flood, they haven't ripped out walls yet, but will need to. He says his house is starting to stink. Now sleeps on the couch. His mom speaks limited English, but showed me pictures of the 2 inches of water throughout their house. My 16 year old girl student told a story of stacking valuable stuff up. A one story. Tons of loss. She rode in the back of a dump truck out of her neighborhood. Her sick grandma in the cab. They went to one shelter at a school and got clothes. Then moved to another shelter that was a Red Cross one at a church. She says there were so many people and it was sooo loud, but her mom gave her ear plugs and she slept. She also took a shower there. Now she is living at her friend's house. Their family is all split up for housing. I saw a look in her eyes that I could feel. Will these people bounce back?

Glad you got some work yesterday TexCat.... nothing last forever, even water.
Just want to thank everyone reading this, And participating.. even if you can't help physically, sending prayers, or healing energy, or what ever you believe in helps...This is a long long way from being over..... once it stops being NEWS... people will still be homeless, hungry , thirsty and afraid.... and thier lives have been changed forever.... just as mine was in Rita.... I am not the same person I was before..... and yes us Texans do brag about our people and our state.... because we have a reason to.... Proud Texan !!!!!

Florida has declared a state of emergency for all counties won't derail this thread, may start one though for our members in FL. My mom and MIL are still there and neither has an evacuation plan so as they nail down the track, with Irma a 4 and expected to strengthen to a 5 with very low (below a 1000 milibars, like 960 and still dropping I think)... we're calling my brother and BIL.

Mister is on stand by to go down this weekend to assist my brother and it's on the table for her to go to Atlanta or even up here if need be... problematic but this is one to take dead seriously.

Hoping that the weather cooperates for you all and that the flooding stabilizes so you're communities can begin to clean up and restore/rebuild. Lots of subs have already been contacted to head to your area... so people will be coming from all over the US to assist.

Last edited:
Florida has declared a state of emergency for all counties won't derail this thread, may start one...
And my husband said they are now projecting it to possibly go in the gulf. At this point we just expect another storm. Why not? Only makes sense... I think my distortions just wrote that ;). They seem to have a mind of their own these days.

I just want to thank each of you that have supported Texas thru this most heartbreaking time of loss . I always felt like this was my 'family, the one I love and appreciate.... now I KNOW it to be true.... and all my friends down home said to tell you all how much they appreciate your prayers for them (no mention of anyone's name or even the forum name to protect us all !!) and for 'taking care of me' ..... thank you @TexCat for starting this thread..... love and hugs to you all.... or ya'll , as we say here..... It's going to be a very long process , and we aren't on the news anymore, but we will rebuild , as we have done each time a storm changes our lives.... Now prayers for Fla. and the Eastern Seaboard..... Thank you all from my heart....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back