1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anyone Been to Greece?

Discussion in 'Social' started by 2quilt, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Darling Husband and I are going to Greece for 2 weeks, so I want to hear from anyone if they have been there, what city or part they visited, what they enjoyed, and any advice we need to hear. Thanks in advance.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

I've been the Greek islands a lot but only to the main land once when i was 4. My only advice would be try and find the local areas. It can be very touristy. The prettist places are where the locals live, usually up in the hills away from the beaches. have a nice time

4. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

If you're going to hit Cyprus also, I have stuff to share. I've not been to Greece, though. Have you ever been anywhere in the Mediterranean before?

5. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Greek Islands and Cyprus specifically

Which islands did you go to, Claire? What did you like about them? We want to go to Thira(Santorini), Rhodes, Crete, Cyprus and more if you have suggestions.

Hodge, yes we are going to Cyprus! Any advice? We will be leaving in about 3 weeks or so. We have been to Italy twice, Barcelona, Nice, Monte Carlo all by train. I went through the Med twice going to and from Desert Storm on a merchant marine ship, but that was not for fun. (that's a whole 'nuther story).

6. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Hodge, not Cyprus

Hodge,
    We're not going to Cyprus. I saw the word Cyprus and thought Crete.

They both start with C

and I need to go to sleep now.

7. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Oh well, I was going to suggest Paphos to see the springs of Aphrodite. Legend has it that any woman who bathes in the water will be beautiful forever. Needless to say, I did it:). Also the road from Limassol to Paphos is stunning. Runs along the eastern shore from which you can see Aphrodite's Rock, the place where she was born from the sea. The Troofos Mountains are beautiful, too.

Anyway, try to get a fried haloumi sandwich - a humble offering next to all the fabulous Greek food, but worth it. And wear plenty of sunblock!

8. Awakening

Awakening Well-Known Member

Oh, my husband & I went to europe for our honeymoon and to finish off we spent 5 days in thira (santorini). It was just stunning. That view is amazing. If you can afford a hotel overlooking the caledera it's well worth it.

We spent only 2 days & a night in Athens, but I wish we'd spent longer.

How lovely for you. When do you leave?

9. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

13 Oct until 4 Nov

10. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Hello, I've been to Kefalos, Lefkas and Rhodes. I've been to Rhodes loads of times. I go windsurfing there, right at the bottom tip of the island. In Rhodes town there's quite a lot of history. All along the south it's very touristy and includes the infamous Falaraki. Its a very 'full english breakfast' type of place! All burgers and chips. On the north its more quiet. The countryside is fairly bleak but inland there are forests of pine trees where the locals keep bees for honey. On the north coast the beaches are small and rocky. The people more traditional and you are quite likely to see women sitting outside in traditional dress. Lindos is worth a visit too and have a meal at one of the roof top restaurants. The sea food is very good, calamari is my favourite!

I've been windsurfing and diving there and the snorkelling is good too. The sea will still be warm at that time of year!

I've hired mopeds and cars on all the islands. I highly recommend doing so. There is very little traffic as soon as you get out of the main tourist towns. Many small restaurants you come across are very simple but good. They often offer you the chance to see the kitchen if you wish.

Cant think of anything else other than an easy way to remember how to say thank you is 'a ferrets toe'! say it quick and all together. They'll understand!

11. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Greece

Where did you sleep, do you remember?

12. Claire

Claire Well-Known Member

Yes, in small, family run hotels.

13. 2quilt

2quilt I'm a VIP

Greek Islands

Thanks for all replies. I am hoping that we can do the same, and stay in little family-run places. That way we can see more of how the locals live and less of the tourists. I don't go that far away from home, spend that money just to hang around with other Americans! I like to go meet locals in far-away places.
    Thank you all for your comments.

2quilt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar