• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone Else Ever Have This Happen? (colonoscopy Related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverthesame

MyPTSD Pro
Last year I had to go for a colonoscopy, just a screening. I spoke of it here in the forums briefly, but didn't go into a lot of detail.

I have scoured the internet searching for the answer to this, but I can't find any definitive answer.

A quick outline of what happened:
- Prep a day prior, lots of laxatives. As in, a literal gallon.
- no food, or liquids containing certain dyes.
- Day of, offered sedatives for the procedure, I said no as sedatives can cause me to have a panic attack.
- They suggested running an IV line, without any meds going through it. As the sedatives can be given at anytime, just in case. I agreed, sounded like good sense.
- I was still taking Effexor at this time, took dose as per hospital instructions. Which was the normal time for me anyway, so no med related wierdnes.
-I did take an alieve? :Spelling: (NSAID over the counter headache tablet. Napproxen sodium) the day of prep. I informed the nursing staff, they didn't think it would be a problem. (small chance of extra bleeding, should bleeding occur).
- Elevated blood pressure going in, mildly tachycardic. 135/93 110bpm. Hypertension was from the Effexor. That was my normal resting while on that drug. The tachycardia, well... I was about to have a 6 foot endoscope shoved up my ass, while wide awake and sober. Lol. I thought I was pretty calm considering.

I was wheeled into the room, met the doctor and nurse (she was really cute, figures.)
The doctor did something I wasn't overly fond of, but I let it go right after. As soon as he heard I was doing this without sedatives, he said. "hmm, well let's see if your relaxed enough without meds. Then promptly stuck in a lubricated finger. (As I said I wasn't keen on that.) I understand why he did it, if I was going to freak out about the procedure, that would have done it. I don't agree with it, but I understand that he is very busy with a massive case load. Having to go real slow and easy on some guy who is likely trying to prove how tough he is by waving off the drugs is just going to screw up his patient schedule for the day. I let it go. This was also the only thing that bothered me about the doctor, everything else was totally above board.

Anyway, so I am rather enjoying watching this on the big monitor, it's not every day one gets a chance to really see inside themselves. Pun intended.

For anyone who is wondering, the inside of a large intestine is basically a long pink tube with muscular rings, looks quite similar to a dryer exhaust tube. After a gallon of laxatives there is remarkably little poo. If you are interested I highly recommend looking up colonoscopy on YouTube. Quite a few videos, some of healthy bowels, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis and what I was being screened for, colorectal cancer (which I don't have, thank God). I believe there is also one of what happens when you go into a colonoscopy without following the prep instructions. (not for the faint of stomach, it's pretty shitty. Again pun intended)

To the point:
As the endoscope was being pushed past the second curve leading into the ascending colon, I began experiencing a lot of pain, I mean a lot of pain. It was like being kicked in the stomach from the inside. The doctor had to pause, readjust and try again. Same thing. Here's where it all went downhill. The nurse asked if I would be willing to take the sedatives, I said yes, should have said no.

She plugs the syringe into the IV line, bam! Instant panic attack. Poor girl had to fight like hell to keep me from pulling myself off the end of the gurney, and dragging the endoscope and probably her with me onto the floor. Meanwhile the doctor is trying to pull 4 feet of camera out of my butt as fast as he could. Not fun. I don't remember being wheeled back to recovery, I don't think I lost much time. The sedatives as least were short term, I felt awake again in about an hour. Can't remember what the specific drug was.

I was kicking myself pretty good after that. The fact that I managed to get the panic under control so quickly, made it feel worse. Especially since this was probably the first time in years that I actually felt like the staff were competent and caring. (mind you this was not the ER). They were all very good with me. Even the one I wrestled with had nothing but concern and compassion on her face after.

As a testament to how on the ball they were. After I had gotten dressed, I grabbed a wipe from a dispenser on the table, and was about wipe the thing on my face, when a loud voice came through the closed curtain, "Don't use that on your skin, it's for disinfecting counter tops!" oops. Sure enough, said so right on the container I didn't bother to read.

There's another bit to this, thanks to anyone who has managed to read through all of this so far.

A few days later I had to do another prep for a different procedure to finish the exam I freaked out during. This was a virtual colonoscopy, it involved a different laxative (a way better tasting one I might add. The first one tasted like a mixture of sugar and burning plastic)
I also had to drink a small glass of radio dye, as well as a half litre of barium (the dye was pretty gross, but it was only a mouthful, and the barium was actually kind of good, sort of a Pepto-Bismol flavour but a bit more chalky.)

First thing the next morning, different area of same hospital. I had my vitals done again, this was also the second day of taking the Prazosin. Almost got admitted. Blood pressure was 110/80 tachycardic again, 140bpm. Wasn't even nervous about this procedure. Was asked several times if I was having chest pain, I honestly wasn't. I felt fine.

I was delayed going in the CT scanner as an emergency case took priority, after that I was given a drug that would slow the motion of the large intestine to allow a clear picture. Then and here is where it starts going downhill again, a tube was inserted into my backside to inflate the large intestine. Not long after that was in there I started to feel awful. The pain was back, add to that I started getting dizzy, nauseated, broke into a cold sweat and started seeing stars. I had to get off the table, I was again being wrestled down by a nurse. I told them to pull the bloody thing out of me. They half listened, she turned the air off.

Instant relief. I asked if they could keep the pressure lower, they said yes. Problem solved. They asked if I was just feeling uncomfortable from the pressure. They looked genuinely surprised when I said "no, that was chuffing agony."

After all was done I was sitting in a chair looking at my vitals, drinking the orange juice they gave me, again being asked if I was having chest pain, lol.

What I want to know is, why does pressure in my large intestine do that too me? Apparently according to the tests I took, there is nothing at all wrong with me. But why was that so painful?

As far as I am aware I have never had anything go wrong with that part of my anatomy, for any reason. I have never had a lower GI injury, I was never sexually abused. I am a prudish Catholic, but I was actually not that embarrassed by any of that. I can't figure it out. Anyone have a theory? My doctor doesn't have a clue either.

I had that done to me back in the late 90's. Unfortunately, I think I blocked most of the experience out. ha Wish I could help. Glad they didn't find anything wrong with you, though.

@Whispering_Truth thanks, and no worries, apparently the whole thing is way bett...
You're welcome. It was very uncomfortable, yes. And, after it was all over, they sent me into this little bathroom in a packed waiting room to expell the what seemed like 20+ gallons of barium liquid they pumped into my colon for the xrays. The bathroom door had about a 2.5 inch gap at the bottom. When I released the liquid, it was loud and gross sounding. EVERYONE could hear it. And, right afterward, the biggest, wettest, longest fart that has probably ever been beheld by humanity, suddenly erupted. I will NEVER do it again, seriously.

I have had several colonoscopies without sedative. It always hurts like that. Think about the flow of that area...everything is meant to go the other direction. Every one I have ever had feels exactly like that. Lots of pressure and cramping. That is why they knock you out. The drug of choice is usually verced or propofol. Sorry you panicked. It isn't a procedure you really want to have awake however it doesn't take long. If you can bury your head in a pillow and breathe you can get through it.

Well, that's disconcerting. I know it's possible that the endoscope could put pressure on the connective tisses in the abdominal cavity, which would result in a fair bit of pain.

The only thing that makes me question that possibility is that the pain re-occured during the CT scan. The tube that was blowing air into my posterior was not inserted beyond the rectum.

I guess it's possible that the air pressure was enough to cause the same thing.

Sadly though the sedatives are not really an option. This was not the first time I have had this kind of reaction from a sedative. Nor was it very effective. Just made me a bit groggy for an hour.

@Rumors thank you very much for your response. You have given alot to think about. You are probably right.

20+ gallons of barium liquid they pumped into my colon
That is something that has gotten better over the years. They had me pour the barium into the other end.

I can only imagine the looks on the faces of anyone who was in earshot of your, umm... Venting. :roflmao:

I can't believe they didn't knock you guys out for it. I guess I got luck when I have mine done 2 months ago. They completely put me under due to the having PTSD and anxiety. Having it done is bad enough, I can't imagine what it would have been like to be awake or worse, go through that pain.

The drink is nasty. I thought it tasted like sea water and aspartame. :yuck: I was too out of it already to care about the white chalky stuff. I remeber thining the name they called it was odd. That's all I remember.

I have heard a few different excuses for why they don't use a general anesthesia or at least try to avoid using it.

The one I actually believe, is that they avoid it as it is somewhat dangerous for a procedure that minor.

Apparently most people can do that without pain. The anatomy of the intestine lends credence to this theory, as the rectum is the only area of the large intestine that has nerve endings along the inside surface. This is why they can remove polyps during the exam without needing local anesthesia.

The pain you feel when you feel when your bowel is full of gas or waste, is the muscles which cause the motion of the bowel going into spasm. Hence my confusion as to why it was so painful for me.

While I do get a bit of IBS every now and again, it usually exhibits itself as a poorly timed urgency, rather than severe cramping.

That being said, this was the first time I'd ever had a 6 foot long camera shoved up my derriėre. (I am also trying to see how many different words I can think of to say bum) :p

Not sure if it has the same name in the US but the reality awful laxative (the sugar aspartame burnt plastic tasting one) is called Colyte here in Canada. I remember it smelled like that simulated bubblegum flavour. But it didn't taste anything like that :yuck: I think they actually claimed that it was some kind of pineapple flavour. I think the guy who thought that up, has never seen a pineapple in their whole life. Or maybe you have to leave in on the kitchen counter for a few weeks before you eat it, for it to taste like that. Lol

I would rather take the one they gave me for the CT scan, that tasted like watered down lemonade. The only problem with that one was I don't think I drank enough water with it, as I was a bit dehydrated the next day. But that was my own fault. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back