• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone Ever Quit Their Job Unexpectedly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a fantastic position at a good company. I went haywire one day and walked out. Told people I...
I'm sorry to hear that. I do believe I understand. I walked away from a wash of good things. Or - didn't walk, more like I fell.
Not only do I feel guilty for leaving people in the lurch, I wonder "what if" I had taken advantage of what was available to me, at the time I collapsed. - Which is, I think, similar to what you mean by "went haywire." I'm just so sorry. It sounds like you picked up the pieces, though; I hope that is true.

Temporary jobs may actually be liberating, you can work when you want, and to some degree choose the type of work and place of work. Some people make working as a temp a career. At least if your in a job and its nice you stay on as long as you can, if its bad you move on to another temp job placement. Its common and expected in the temp field to have some placements not work out. Sometimes its the customer who is looking for something different, sometimes its the temp working who finds its not a good fit. Something to think about.

Temporary jobs may actually be liberating, you can work when you want, and to some degree choose the type of work and place of work.
Good point. That theory could have worked for me. Problem was, I didn't have one thing - I had too many part time and/or freelance things. What if I'd realized I didn't need to do everything at the same time? What if I had realized I was vulnerable, and taken things on more slowly?

Well. Too late now. But a good caution, something to keep in mind, for anyone reading this. Part time work can be a good option for multiple reasons.

There are Temp agencies, and there you have some control over the assignments. But even freelance or at home work, some of the same things need to be exercised, not organizing the work or the time leads to being overwhelmed. I did this up to the day I got my disability, and to be able to do it and get the work done and get paid for it, I had to treat the work as if I was at an employer, and worked only from 9 to 5 and gave myself a regular lunch hour.

I worked temp for several years. It was perfect for me. Paid well enough to pay rent and my assignments usually only lasted two weeks or so. Not enough time for my symptoms to go haywire. Also the tasks were well below my skill set so less stressed. After I left my great corporate job, I worked night shift shelving books at borders for six months. Really the most enjoyable job I've had and it gave me time to stabilize. That's when I got into therapy.

Oddly, I came in thinking about posting "So I might have just quit my job today" only to find your post right on top. I guess it wasn't that unexpected, as I've been having issues with a co-worker for awhile. But, this is not unusual for me. I think I've quit every job impulsively, until the two before this one that I probably should have quit before I got fired. I have a habit of getting to a place, doing really great, and then burning out and slowly collapsing like a flan in a cupboard.
I can say that right now, I feel amazing about it. Relief. We'll see how I feel after it sinks in, and if i can't find something right away like I believe I can.

My first, and only job, is one I walked out on. It was shortly after I started the job that my (ex) boyfriend first attempted to rape me, so I was under a lot of stress. They kept expecting more hours from me, my coworkers were jerks, people would hit on me/touch me and they refused to pay me until after 90 days had passed. So I walked out one day mid shift after having a panic attack, texted the boss that I wouldn't show up to work anymore, and left.
Not to mention, they had a lot of health code violations. I'll never forget the horrors of the mashed moldy avocado that they used in the vegan brownies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back