• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone Have A Magic Wand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol

MyPTSD Pro
Therapy last night was hell, the worst one i have ever been through, i know it has to be done and i know she is doing her job, my question is how do i balance myself back out? I have no support system in the 'real world' no one knows im going through this, i thought playing normal would push it away but it isnt and i dont know what to do with myself, had nightmares last night which doesnt help because im exhausted, any tips would be amazing because i cant keep feeling like this for much longer

When you are dealing with PTSD and doing therapy, it gets worse before it gets better. All I can suggest is use ever tool you have to ground yourself, self compassion, self care, be kind to yourself, and know that it will get better..... I know it sucks!!!! I'm sorry that any of us have to go through this shit....

I have asked for a magic wand so many times @Bristol1485 , and so your title drew me in. I wish I could say that I had the magic wand for the solution, but I do like what @She Cat said about self compassion and self care. It's important to take care of yourself and do something rewarding for yourself as well (for me yesterday that was buying stretch string to make beaded bracelets with). Also, maybe you can build in some grounding or containment into the end of your sessions so that it might feel like a better transition when you leave. My therapist and I read Harry Potter during the last 5 or so minutes of our session to help ground me. Also, if things are going too fast be sure to speak up and advocate for yourself. It's one thing to go through processing difficult things, but it's another beast to do it too fast. Hope this helps some.

How do you self soothe?
Journal, exercise, meditate, read, nap..I find it helps to keep my body moving. Keeping my mind occupied is good, too, but I think there may be value in not being avoidant and healing by learning to sit with the feelings.
I hope that helps. I know how destructive it all can feel to rip into the past.

Also, maybe you can build in some grounding or containment into the end of your sessions so that it might feel like a better transition when you leave.
Link Removed if your therapist isn't doing this ^^^ he/she is failing you. I'm not saying this is an end all be all to contain your emotions after a session, but if your therapist isn't at least making an earnest effort to do this then maybe you want to bring this up with them, and/or start shopping for another therapist. I myself would work with my therapist on guided imagery as a means of grounding before ending a session, but there are a million ways of grounding; your therapist shouldn't be throwing you out the door rattled while he/she is counting your money. That's not a good relationship. This is just my opinion.

What helps me
Connecting with others either here
ON occasion in real life will call someone and be honest (but there are a rare few)
counting my breath (in for 6 out for 7)
distraction and physical contact such as wrapping in a blanket
a routine, days of work, days of therapy, days to go for walks etc...
meds if necessary

All the best

Therapy last night was hell, the worst one i have ever been through, i know it has to be done and i...
Bristol1485 today is continuation of emdr sessions; heaven/hell; hurting/healing and so very difficult to go through and each session seems to - no each session is becoming more intensified because although my mind/brain has initiated at smaller and less painful memories to desensitize, I cannot prevent my mind/brain from going eventually to the hell fire inferno memories that I must allow my brain to bring to forefront in order through I guess word is overexposure to horrific trauma that lies beneath surface and is coming up eventually in emdr therapy. I keep skirting around it (horrorific memories) as my eyes follow vertical light on board, trying not to allow mind/brain to pull up horror memories Bristol1485.

I recite this quote I found on internet and say this over and over prior to going to emdr horrible therapy session: "I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me." And, I so wish I could take away your pain Bristol1485. The other quote I say to myself is: "No one (me) is every too broken, too scarred, or too far gone to create change. Never stop fighting. Never lose faith. I am here for you Bristol1485 and I fully relate to your pain re: therapy. I do.

After most emdr sessions, dr. has me w/ tip of left thumb/and in between r/thumb and index finger and hold onto fleshy part between r/thumb and index finger area and that is where a tiny good memory of my old country grandma/grandpa has been stored by dr. guiding imagery of same. I am going to ask dr. to read something to me post session today as JEKBreatheandBelieve does with therapist. Once off here, I will look through my books to find something soothing and grounding as JEKBreatheandBelieve does.

Also, I too am going to ask if we could please slow down re: emdr horrific memories that we numb out during each session. I have been so messed up mentally, emotionally following sessions, that my whole body and mind are being negatively effected. I do understand. Thank you for posting and asking for help and suggestions, for your post has helped me too Bristol1485. JadesJewel

I pamper myself.

It's really hard to do since I hate everything about me right now, but after a nice bath, finally managing not to have thoughts racing in my mind thanks to some soothing music it's hard to still feel blahh.

I suggest a pick me up as well. Either a hot beverage or a comfort food. My current go-to is both.
Soup soothes the soul :)

Good luck!

Wow i never thought this many people would reply, i really appreciate you all taking time to reply. :)
@JEKBreatheandBelieve love the idea of a bit of a story to end the session ive never thought of it really i always assumed i had to go in there dig it all up and then run away maybe that is where i am going wrong!
@watundah self soothing is never something i have learnt to do, thank you for your suggests think ill go home and try a fee out and see if i can find something that works
@She Cat is does indeed suck that we all have to go through this but im grateful for knowing im not alone
@Florian7051 she does always ask how i am at the end and whether i am ok to leave but i always say yes whether i am or not so maybe i need to work on being a bit more honest, last night i just ran out got in my car and cried all the way home, after telling her i was completely fine.
@Hope69 thank you for your suggestions, think im going to find a blanket when i get home and wear it for the rest of the evening
@JadesJewel thank you for the quotes i will definately remember those, sorry therapy is rough on you to but glad you could get some help from this thread too
@CoffeeCat a warm shower and soup does sound pretty perfect right now :)

You do need to be honest with your T both about how you feel when you're leaving sessions and how you're feeling in between sessions. That's how she knows whether the pace of work is right or not. If she doesn't know the signs that you are feeling overwhelmed, she won't know that you need help grounding or self soothing - she literally can't do her job properly.

Do work on some self care routines to soothe you, make sure you give yourself time to let the dust settle, some time that lets you reflect a bit and time for relaxation and fun. The more balance you have between those areas of your life the easier it'll be to cope. Therapy is hard work, yes but there are ways to help yourself and to help your T help you.

You do need to be honest with your T both about how you feel when you're leaving sessions and how you'r...
Thanks suzetig i have just emailed T and admitted that i have struggled today, i didnt give much more detail than that cause im sure she will get it going to try and find something on tv and try and leave it behind for a bit. Thanks for your advice :)

Always share how you're coping outside of visits, this way your therapist can help you with coping skills and how to decide if you're moving to fast and need to slow things down a bit.

But yes....it's rough and can be tougher than you'd like. I begged T many times to make the pain stop, like all....the...time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back