1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Anyone have experience with underwater body recovery??

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by scubarr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. scubarr

scubarr New Member

Did a body recovery in Nov. 2014. I'm a recreational scuba instructor, never trained in anything other than outdoor wilderness first aid. Have been kept up many nights, coping with addiction issues. Flashbacks and nightmares are subsiding since being on prescription drugs, but seems like other things are surfacing. Recently had what dr.'s are calling an extremely severe anxiety attack.. Never experienced anything like it before..

Seems like hours and hours with my therapist are good for some things, but this just seems to get worse...

joeylittle, EveHarrington and Rosie11 like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Friday

Friday Raise Hell Moderator

Yeah. I was a rescue swimmer, which means recovery was part of it. I flat out refuse to as a civilian 99% of the time, although there’s been the occasional exception.
    Panic attacks & anxiety attacks can present in a lot of different ways. They all suck. The good news is that no matter which presentation? You can learn to back them off. Being a swimmer will help you, because a helluva lot of that is about breathing, and staying calm even when your body is screaming at you. As a DI you’re good at that, right? Long practiced staying calm and breathing in a measured fashion, no matter how freaked out you are? Whether slowing taking back -or yanking back- somatic control over the autonomic nervous system, the breath is just foundational as it gets. Slow and measure your breathing, and your heart will follow, and your everything else after that. You’ve probably been doing this instinctually, all along. Which is ALSO probably part of what freaked you the hell out when you lost that control, and why shit jumped off so quickly. Don’t sweat it. We all lose control sometimes, it happens, and then we take it back. Even in the moment. You can completely lose your shit, ground/center yourself, and get back in control. Although that one takes a bit of practice. Just like anything. It’s totally doable.

Trauma therapy will ALWAYS make shit get worse before it gets better. That’s part of the gig, and it sucks really hard core, but can also be planned on and worked around.

Working with a trauma therapist is pretty key, here. It’s a very different modality than most kinds of therapy.

‘Nuff from me for right now. ;) Welcome aboard, and make sure to check out the PTSD stress cup <<< little link.

4. brokenEMT

brokenEMT Well-Known Member

never underwater recovery, but land recovery used to be a regular duty. I've done too many to remember them all, really.

welcome to the forum.

Friday, Freida and Rosie11 like this.
  5. CyclePath

CyclePath Active Member

I've done a handful of them too. Some of them were military personnel in combat zones; others were swimmers/diving mishaps, plane crashes, vehicle accidents, or the town drunk that fell off a bridge. None of them were easy and I remind myself that it brought closure to families.

Rest assured you can learn to control the anxiety attacks. Learn to breath. Friday gave you a bunch of good info and the "Stress Cup" really helped me out a while back. I highly recommend that you read it and understand it. Understanding what is going on will really help.

Therapy - yes, it can make things seem harder, but it is growth in disguise. Work through it and process things.

Welcome around!

Friday likes this.
  6. scubarr

scubarr New Member

Thanks, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've always had good control of my breathing and what my body is feeling or doing. That was the first time I felt completely out of control. Properly freaked me out.

I do remind myself everyday it brought closure to the family. But I just can't get that imagery out of my head. I've been diving thousands of times since then, swim in a pool everyday. How can one collection of words just make a switch go off?

I find myself wanting to know more about this kid. Is that normal?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2018
    CyclePath and Friday like this.
  7. zebbidee

zebbidee Member

i think it is totally normal wanting to know more. i'm actually in the process of trying to find out more about the person involved in my trauma. whether or not it is helpful to know more is the key question though i think. we think we want to know, but it can turn out to be too much to handle, especially when we're struggling. hopefully your therapist is trauma focused and will be of help to you. my therapy has been extremely beneficial. all the best.