• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone run into problems updating income with social security?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

MyPTSD Pro
Has anyone in the US on SSI or SSDI had any difficulty reporting income changes to their county social services or social security?

I am running into a massive problem in this regard, and kind of freaking out. I’m working for a county office, very short term, very part time, and it’s the same county as my social services case. I worked for them once in 2016 and once again in 2017.

I keep begging to meet with social services to get income and etc updated with the county for the pay - I’ve been begging for 18 months. I even went to the county commissioners and said I couldn’t get this resolved and didn’t know what to do and asked for help. The county said nothing needs to change and generally handled this super badly. I mailed it off the copy of the pay check stubs to the county and Social Security in 2016 and 2017, but I finally got records a few days ago from the county, just looked through them yesterday, and found out nothing has been updated - not address, not income, not expenses they ask be reported. None of what I sent them in 2016 or 2017 is showing up at all. They check all of this info with social security too - so now I’m thinking that never went through either.

I don’t know what to do. I am struggling to calm down. I am not sure why this is freaking me out. All I know is that it’s really important to update this stuff and government offices don’t tend to take responsibility for their mistakes but blame the person. I did send it in but I should have sent more follow ups when my social security payment was never reduced... I am posting to try to slow myself down and think this through and figure out next steps.

Create a folder with notes for when you did update them, repeated phone calls, stub copies, and then the date and person you spoke with and any information from the county commissioners office? If it ever becomes a “thing” hand over the whomping stack of good faith effort on your part?

I'm not in your country. So I don't know your tax system but if you lodge your documents & the department doesn't update your details - can you write or email them with relevant reference numbers & ask them to get it done? Don't spend the extra income & demand a written explanation.
Sort of the same thing happened me many years ago... I went to the social security office & spoke to a person (who couldn't care less). So I asked the person to lodge my complaint on the computer system & give me a printed copy. I filed that copy. I knew I was not supposed to be getting any money but they kept putting it in my account. I saved that money & did not spend it.
Sure enough 3 year's later I got a horrible & threatening letter from the government. I pulled out the letter & sent them the copy & I would give the money back. It was stressful but a couple of weeks later I received an apology & I could keep the money because I had notified the proper people & it was their mistake! (It wasn't much money but I was glad I didn't have to pay it back & I was able to prove I had tried to fix their stupid computer glitch)!

Social security can and well mess up anything they can. I went months without my check when I updated my address because they repeatedly sent my checks to a wrong address. They are supposed to stop sending me paper checks and put it on a card but they keep messing that up too. I actually have about 4 months in back pay they owe me but they can never get it sent to the right address. For some reason they decreased my pay when my income went down instead of increasing it. I am so sick of the place I really don't care to fight for that money anymore even though I need it.

I haven't sent anything registered mail but I have gone up the ladder as far as I can for now. It is honestly more of an issue of I am tired of dealing with it and need to take a break from pursuing it due to other issues in my life. When I decide to take up the cause again, I will add a registered letter to my to do list.

Yeah sounds like it's too overwhelming right now, I can understand that.

But put it in your diary to revisit - you deserve to have the money & it is their stupid fault.

If it is under the limit of SGA then it wouldn't reduce your benefit or cause trouble. The amount is 500 something a month. I think it just went up in 2018 so I don't want to quote an exact amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back