1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Super-sensitive To Emotional/environmental Energies?

Discussion in 'Symptoms & Other Disorders' started by gms1976, Jul 7, 2013.

1. gms1976

gms1976 Member

I'm extremely sensitive to the energy in a room, from the people I work with or am around. I soak it up like a sponge. I've always thought it was PTSD and my hyper-alert brain. My therapist told me that in her experience she's found that patients who've undergone abuse or trauma often become very sensitive to energy in addition to the PTSD. It's often something that flags her to pay more attention to a specific area she's working with the patient on.

I found this intriguing as I've been very sensitive to the world in general since I was a child and I also endured sexual abuse and war trauma from very young. Interestingly I've always felt different from the rest of my family. They're very stiff, unemotional and cold while I'm emotional and drawn to nature and animals. I've always been emotional, in touch with how and what others are experiencing. It's tiring and draining, but as a nurse it was invaluable as it helped me meet the emotional needs of my patient's more accurately than most other nurses I know. There is just this ability to see things crystal clear from the other person's point of view or sense hidden emotional pain. It's a bear sometimes! I already had PTSD with the flashbacks and so on and now for the past year, my emotional radar has steadily become more heightened than before.

To give you an example, I often understand and experience what others are feeling emotionally. When they're in emotional pain, I often experience it too. When there is tension in our department at work, I feel it all like it's been magnified. If someone's having a bad day, I absorb their emotional state like a sponge. Anger from others creates additional turmoil inside. I often feel overwhelmed by the energy around me in general and end up isolating myself in my home because it feels as though the universe is coming at me all at once. I know a lot of this can be chalked up to PTSD and hypervigilence and I'm not discounting that in the least, but what if there's an additional aspect to all of this?

At first I thought it was just hypervigilence (which I do have - and it sucks! - and it does play a large part) and I also read about the Highly Sensitive Person which makes sense too. But then I came across the definition of an Empath sort of by accident and I'm wondering if it's another part of the puzzle. At first I scoffed at it as I'm a very logical person. It sounded weird and psychic-ish and whacky. I'm a RN and medical knowledge and factual explanations are important to my understanding of my world and accepting issues and problems, especially since I can research and seek updated treatments and supplements. I have also completely lost my faith so spiritual belief of any kind is difficult for me to comprehend or connect with.

But something about it kept drawing and pulling me back and I kept digging and looking for information. I found some things that really opened my eyes - whether I wanted them opened or not. I was reading up about empaths and the info I was finding hit me between the eyes so many times I really didn't know what to think. The interesting thing is that, from what I understand, empaths don't necessarily have any emotional trauma in their pasts, but are still able to read a room, sense what others are feeling and so on.

This got me thinking...I'm wondering if being an empath, or highly emotionally intuitive naturally can make traumas that much worse? What if it's a factor in the reason as to why some people develop PTSD (or severe PTSD) and others don't? Again, this is just me thinking out loud here. I saw many cross-overs with PTSD except for most Empaths, there is no trauma.

I found a list that includes several traits of empaths and I thought I would share 10:

1) Knowing: Empaths just know stuff, without being told. It’s a knowing that goes way beyond intuition or gut feelings, even though that is how many would describe the knowing. The more attuned they are the stronger this gift becomes.

2) Being in public places can be overwhelming: Places like shopping malls, supermarkets or stadiums, where there are lots of people around, can fill the Empath with turbulently vexed emotions that are coming from others.

3) Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: This is a huge one for Empaths. To some, they will feel emotions off those near by and with others they will feel emotions from those a vast distance away, or both. The more adept Empath will know if someone is having bad thoughts about them, even from a great distance.

4) Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: The more attuned an Empath becomes the worse it is and may make it so they eventually have to stop watching TV and reading newspapers altogether.

5) Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an Empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination.

6) You know when someone is not being honest: If a friend or a loved one is telling you lies you know it (although many Empaths try not to focus on this because knowing a loved one is lying can be painful). Or if someone is saying one thing but feeling/thinking another, you know.

7) Love of nature and animals: Being outdoors in nature is a must for Empaths and pets are an essential part of their life.

8) The ability to feel the days of the week: An Empath will get the ‘Friday Feeling’ if they work Fridays or not. They pick up on how the collective are feeling. The first couple of days of a long, bank holiday weekend (Easter for example) can feel, to them, like the world is smiling, calm and relaxed. Sunday evenings, Mondays and Tuesdays, of a working week, have a very heavy feeling.

9) Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning: Anything that takes away their freedom is debilitating to an Empath even poisoning.

10) Addictive personality: Alcohol, drugs, sex, are to name but a few addictions Empaths turn to, to block out the emotions of others. It can be a form of self protection in order to hide from someone or something (external emotions).

Anyway, I'm currently scratching the surface as there is a whole world of information regarding this and how relates to PTSD, if at all. Any thoughts would be most welcome. Anyone who is interested in more traits can google: At a glance: 30 Traits of an Empath. It was one of many sites I visited.

My apologies for the long post.
  2. Abstract

Abstract VIP Member Premium Member

Hi,

I have wondered if it potentially makes it more likely that one would be traumatised by something if it relates to watching someone else be hurt. I would think someone without empathy couldn't be as badly affected but I don't know for sure. I think its even possible that someone acting aggressively to us may have more meaning and therefore more impact.

There are of course self protective benefits to empathy especially for a child who is still dependent on those who are not necessarily safe. It helps them stay attached in a sense and "do" for those they are dependent on, and it is therefore makes it more likely that those "responsible" will want to keep them around.

It was really important for me to learn how to protect myself and not absorb too much all the time. Now that I can it feels like a loss in some respects but mostly it is a relief.
  3. Leah123

Leah123 This is Quan Yin, goddess of compassion. Premium Member

I just wanted to chime in that I am definitely attuned to such energies, empathetic (though that list doesn't perfectly fit my experience) and can be hypersensitive to them. Sorry, too tired to reply at length, but you're not alone with this one.
  4. ashdawn8287

ashdawn8287 VIP Member

That whole empath thing hits home for me. It's really exhausting on me in every aspect just to be around a lot of people at once. The only thing that sucks is knowing when someone is being dishonest yet you have no proof. Yet you know. Its not really handy at all whatever this is. Or I just haven't figured out a balance with it yet.
    franciemarnie, Abstract and gms1976 like this.
  5. Whitneys story

Whitneys story My very own hug forever! Premium Member

Hi, I am curious as to the intention of your research. Would this be for your own personal use or further study.

We have a section for research as well. I believe the Forum has recommendations for posting a research study.

Some might be apprehensive to respond depending on your application. Whitney
  6. Abstract

Oh. I didn't see it as research and just saw it as a discussion. Am I wrong?
  7. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

I saw this as discussion, but ready to be informed if it's actual research. In the spirit of discussion:

gms, do you practise psychic protection? I'm very sensitive to energies in people and places, and I think it's important to avoid seeing things or people as unbearable/overwhelming. In my view, they are potentially unbearable/overwhelming but it's up to us to protect ourselves from that so they're not.

I read a lot of Caroline Myss's books. She's a medical intuitive and does wider work on the energetic/spiritual dynamics of healing. Not connected to any religion, although she refers to various religious teachings in the sense of universal wisdom, seeing religious ideas as a wrapper for essential truths.

She actually stresses the need for us to watch the news etc, rather than feel too affected by it to be able to do so. This is too difficult for me still, but then I'm working on trauma healing at the moment so I think that's to be expected - my psychic energy needs to be focussed on that right now. From a general viewpoint though, she says that since the energy each individual puts out affects the world around us, if we're particularly attuned to energy then we're particularly in a position to be aware of how we need to respond to the world on an energetic level.

I think everyone's capable of intuition and attunement. I think how intuitive we are is how much we've been able to connect to intution, rather than any sort of individual limit on how much intuitive ability we have. I think trauma can open us up our ability because trauma's outside ordinary experience and our responses to it are intense on a number of levels. My intuition was very blocked before recovering trauma memories and getting PTSD. Now, I rely on intuition in various forms more than anything else.
    Abstract, gms1976 and franciemarnie like this.
  8. amcen

amcen Member

Hello gms1976,

I can relate to you too about being extremely sensitive. Did it occure to you that people getting over-sensitive BECAUSE of PTSD may be one side, but also people who are born hyper-sensitive may be more easily traumatized and get PTSD where others would easier deal with pain?

I don't know if these books exist in English, but search for Boris Cyrulnik in Google, he taught me quite a lot about traumas and how people become resilient. He is a psychiatrist specialized in resilience and traumas and speaks a lot about sensitivity. For example, he says it is partly about children who don't product much serotonin from birth and others who are producting a lot, etc.

Warm and kindest feelings to you all.
  9. franciemarnie

franciemarnie VIP Member Premium Member

After a breakdown and a dark night of the soul eight years ago, and as trauma started being released, I began to have these experiences of "knowing". I even had a few precognitive dreams that blew my mind.

I was so sure I knew such things didn't exist especially after the education I had which drummed in the idea that psychic and paranormal stuff was nonsense. But that's often the way it is. People don't believe in extraordinary things until it happens to them. They assume - as I did - as most generations do - that we have reached the summit of all knowledge. Ha! If that were so, we'd all still think the world was flat.

The scientists just haven't figured some things out. PTSD wasn't recognized for what what it is for centuries, but it sure existed. They didn't know how it effected our brains but they found out.

I am happy now to consider these ideas of empaths, intuitives, etc. It's given me faith that there is more out there than meets the eye. I don't know how things work in the spiritual world, but I do those protective measures now like surrounding myself with white light and burning sage.

Very interesting topic!
    Abstract and gms1976 like this.
  10. Misul

Misul Active Member

I am extremely sensitive to energy just as others have described. This is why I don't like visiting other peoples' homes or standing too close to others. I am superstitious regarding energy due to my strong Taoist beliefs. I won't go into detail because anyone who is curious about Taoism can read a book and that's not the topic here. My great grandmother was extremely sensitive too and we believe that it can be passed down through families. In old times, I would have been a shaman.

It can make life difficult, but in many ways I consider it a gift. It has alerted me when people were secretly doing things behind my back, and it has also drawn me towards people who either have taught me or became good friends. People often come to me for advice. It's amazing how out of touch people are with themselves, but at least I can give them some kind of comfort. It also helps me connect with animals and nature on a deeper level. Everything has this energy and I'm glad I can experience it. It's a great thing. :)

When it overwhelms you, just get away and be by yourself. Remember that it can be a protection for you and warn you when negative energy comes your way. Always try to focus on the positive.

Oh, and don't confuse it with personal feeling! If you remain neutral, it can help you make smart choices in life, give you hints on when to be patient, when to act, etc.
  11. gms1976

gms1976 Member

Hi Whitney,

No worries, there is no research at all. I'm a complex PTSD sufferer and was struggling with sensory overload. I thought there might be something to it more than just hypervigilance and being sensitive. I was just looking info up for myself and I thought I would share since my therapist mentioned energy sensitivity occurs frequently with those who have been exposed to abuse. I was curious as to whether I was the only one who was feeling this way. I just felt this was more than just PTSD.

I hope that helps.
  12. gms1976

gms1976 Member

Hashi, I unfortunately don't know anything about psychic protection but if it can help. I'm very interested in finding out. I'll definitely look into Caroline's books. I just feel so overloaded. With PTSD I hate getting up in the mornings because I dread what the day has in store for me but I'm finding it harder and harder to even want to leave my house because everything seems to come at me at once. At work my bosses seem to think I'm often reading too much into a situation but now I'm starting to wonder whether I'm just reading the energy that's really there.

I think the trick is reacting appropriately and knowing when it's my emotion and when it comes from others or the environment. Until this past week I didn't even consider being an empath as something real and now I'm realizing I'm taking energy from others and the environment and, without realizing it, processing it as my own.

At this point I'm just hoping for something to relieve the emotional pain and overload. I don't want to feel the emotional pain of those around me because I have enough noise in my head as it is. Emotional and visual flashbacks, panic and anxiety attacks are enough as it is. To have the universe in general on my doorstep is too much to handle.
  13. Misul

Misul Active Member

My reaction to the video is this: I didn't watch the entire thing, since it's over an hour long, but along with intuitiveness should be wisdom. I never trust anyone who says, "follow emotion." That goes against my core beliefs. I say listen to emotion, but have the wisdom to understand what emotion really is. Decisions should not be based on emotion; they should be based on reflection and a sense of humility (we don't know everything). It's very difficult for me to explain. "What your EMOTIONS are trying to tell you" is an extremely incorrect subtitle for this book, in my opinion. Our emotions aren't telling us anything at all. It's intuitiveness, sensitivity to energy, etc. I really feel it's important to make that clear. We might have an emotional reaction to what we pick up on (and we should use thinking to counteract that, NOT give into emotion or we will be spent, and yes that's easier said than done), but it's not EMOTION doing the "reading". Does that make any sense at all? Emotions need careful consideration, examination and are not always truth. Intuitiveness is something different altogether. Coming from an emotional perspective means injecting our personal bias and paradigms onto a situation.

I'm pretty sure that most of you know the difference. For some reason, I feel it needed to be put out there. I don't know why. My reaction was based on the video, not anyone's posts.
    Whitneys story likes this.
  14. Hashi

Hashi VIP Member

I had trouble finding anything I particularly liked or found helpful about protection from outside energies, but I thought William Bloom's book was better than the others. I think it's called "Psychic Protection". Not all the ideas clicked with me, but more of them than other things I've seen, and I think his explanations are quite good.
    Whitneys story and Abstract like this.
  15. Abstract

Oh I don't agree at all. In fact I very strongly disagree I am afraid. Especially as someone who dismissed my emotions and for most of my life.

Learning to listen to and manage my emotions has been an important part of what has enabled me to manage my depressive symptoms, recover form my long term eating disorder, hugely reduce me continuously ending up in unhealthy relationships, develop my sense of self and much more. Ignoring emotions does not do any good at all in my opinion.

I think DBT's "wise mind" says it all. When we consider emotions and take rational thought into consideration then the two combined add up to more than the sum of the parts. Empathy is emotions. Being an Empath is about having more than average empathy. I recommend the book, "Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control " for more information about how useful emotions are.

The problem comes when we confuse others emotions for our own or our emotions for others. And the way to stop that from happening is to tune in not tune out.

Emotions are extremely important sources of information for decisions and actions in our lives. Used correctly they are the road signs that tell us what we need to do to protect ourselves, care for ourselves or what we need to address to heal ourselves (where our damaged areas are).

Reacting to past emotions as if they are being caused by the present or confusing our and others emotions are a recipe for disaster but we can learn to manage these things.

A large part of intuition is related to reading emotions. Empathy is about being able to feel the feelings someone else is feeling.

When it comes to empathy there are many different types of empathy and there is quite a bit of information available out there on what they entail.

I particularly liked her separation of what she describes as empathetic action and empathic action. The one a knee jerk reaction from feeling others feelings and the other a considered response that is in the best interests of the person and as a result of reading their emotions.

I liked Karla McClarens description of how important it is to not confuse whose emotions are whose and and how important it is to stop ourselves being overwhelmed and absorbing too much unnecessarily.

I used to almost feel disabled by my empathy and empath tendencies but I have come a long way and can manage them fairly well now thank goodness and so no longer resent them as I once did.
    Whitneys story, Leah123 and MIsul like this.
  16. Misul

Misul Active Member

I think we are essentially saying the same thing, but using different words.

From my point of view. it wasn't your emotions which helped you. It was your wisdom which was LISTENING to and MANAGING them. It's a higher function. Following emotion is what leads us to things like addiction because we are seeking an escape from the terrible emotions we're feeling. Then something in us says, "Wait, this isn't making me feel better at all... I want to stop this in order to have a better life for myself." The struggle to stop is difficult because, aside from chemical dependency, it's so easy to give into the bad emotion and seek whatever pleasure or dulling effect the addiction gives.

I don't disagree with you, I just think we are coming at the same point from different perspectives. :)
    Whitneys story likes this.
  17. Abstract

It was directly to do with me learning to listen to and understand my emotions. I always had logical thought and abilities. Ignoring my emotions caused serious havoc and impairment in my life. It caused my addictive behaviour as well. In fact a main focal point of addiction treatment is to get people to connect to, experience and manage their emotions rather than blindly just converting them into the addiction.

I have had to loosen my grip on logic and rationality in order to progress in my life. For me.

Seeking pleasure and dulling affect is about denying emotions not listening to them. Its a blind reaction not an aware attunement with emotion. Listening to emotions does not mean just reacting to them of course. Once we understand what they are telling us there are helpful ways to react or unhelpful ones.

I certainly agree with you that rational thought is important though. Some people blindly react to emotion without any thought and I think that is what you are saying.
    Whitneys story and MIsul like this.
  18. Misul

Misul Active Member

I see what you mean about denying emotion instead of confronting it. I guess I see it is a direct response to emotion and that's what I mean, that we shouldn't directly respond to emotion, but think it through; what we really know about the situation, long term consequences, etc. I'm not very good at explaining, though. An example might be years ago when my anxiety was higher. My friend had given me some expensive cigarettes he'd bought because he didn't like them. They sat on the kitchen counter for awhile and I remember the overwhelming temptation to have one because I thought it would calm me down. Just thinking about doing it felt good. I even said things like, "I deserve it, I'm so stressed." To me, that's a direct response to emotion (stress). But my brain said, "No, that's not a good idea. It's unhealthy and you might like it too much and get addicted. Best not to even do it once." I broke them all in half, and poured water on them so there was no way I could smoke them. From my perspective, that's my logical thinking overriding my emotional reaction. Although I could see that from your perspective you might be saying that it was emotional since I was observing my emotion and then decided to stop and deal with stress in another way.
    Whitneys story, gms1976 and Abstract like this.
  19. Abstract

I understand what you mean now Mlsul. Hopefully gms will not feel I am taking her thread off track.

If hope you don't mind but this is how I would see the situation you describe. You feel anxiety. Your response is to want to reject it and get rid of it. You are thinking "bad emotion". You want to suppress it and so you act out with the cigarette in an impulsive way.

Whereas if you: Felt anxious. Stopped and listened to the anxiety. Considered what the anxiety was telling you. Are you anxious because your friends boyfriend is looking at you too intimately? Are you anxious because you are seeing your t later? Are you anxious because you had some visual intrusions earlier? Are you anxious because your friend is anxious and you are absorbing her feelings?

Once you decide which it is you can then take appropriate and considered action. Each of those require a different action. Listening to and taking evasive action could stop the first possibility from developing into something nasty later.

One of the most revelationary things I have ever learned is that anger is an indication that our boundaries have been crossed. We can have very fragile and unrealistic boundaries of course (and sometimes because of the past). But realising that something is a boundary crossing, for us, can be extremely helpful in managing much of our lives. That alone changed my life totally and changed my relationship with anger.

I hope that better explains what I meant and what the book meant.
  20. Misul

Misul Active Member

Now I understand what you are saying perfectly and I agree 100%. That's exactly what I mean by "not acting out of emotion." Thanks for sharing and helping me understand. :D
    Whitneys story, gms1976 and Abstract like this.
  21. Expat in Australia

Expat in Australia New Member

I'd like to chime in, if that's cool. I'm new here.

1) Knowing: I know when people are talking about me, even if they're across the room. That MAY be chalked up to my hyper vigilance, but I'm usually right. I can walk into a room and know which males I threaten. I have never been in a fight but I do look fairly 'tough'. I'm a teddy bear. If there's bad vibes in the air, I can feel it and act accordingly (which usually means, "Let's go..")

2) Being in public places can be overwhelming: I used to love it, now, the older I get, I can't be bothered with crowds anymore. Which is odd, because I'm a guitarist and I perform in front of large groups of people. I no longer go to clubs anymore because of the fights/glassings out here. But I hate malls, supermarkets, etc. My lovely wife likes to hang out, look and feel every single piece of anything, and I'm a typical male; get in, get out. That causes arguments. I'm pretty mission oriented if we leave the house.

3) Feeling others emotions and taking them on as your own: I doubt it. I'm probably too dense for that. But if I'm at home playing music that someone else doesn't like, I'll have to change it because it bothers me that much that they don't enjoy it that I can't enjoy it.

4) Watching violence, cruelty or tragedy on the TV is unbearable: I can watch human/human violence, be it real or drama, but I cannot watch human to animal violence, can't hear it being spoke of, anything like that. If I hear of an animal being tortured I go out of my mind with rage and my wife needs to tell me to settle down. Kids and animals flock to me, for whatever reason. I guess they know I'm coming from a good place, or they can sense my sincerity. It's frequent enough to where other people comment on it. I'm just used to it.

5) Creative: From singing, dancing, acting, drawing or writing an Empath will have a strong creative streak and a vivid imagination. Worked in radio, currently doing music.

6) You know when someone is not being honest. My wife's female friends date, and lots of times I meet these guys. I can spot a clown within seconds. I even tell my wife when someone's off and then we sit back and see what happens. I often tell my wife's girlfriend my thoughts, and I've never been wrong. When I was five I knew my mom's bf was off, we learned later that night he had been in and out of institutions. He didn't seem off, but I knew. He scared me. I don't know what to chalk it up to. Hyper vigilance?

7) Love of nature and animals: More animals than nature, but the older I get, the mature nature grows on me.

8) The ability to feel the days of the week: I hate Sundays and Mondays, like every other human who works. I hate Winter and probably have that "seasonal depression bla bla bla" thing. I love sun/Summer forever.

9) Finds routine, rules or control, imprisoning. Wife and I will discuss plans for the future. Within 5 minutes I'm so stressed out that we either need to take a break or we just stop altogether. We both need routine; I have PTSD and she has anxiety. Quite a party at our house.

10) Addictive personality: Was probably sex when I was younger, it's more the binge drinking now. I feel 'normal' and relaxed after two beers. My thoughts aren't so frantic and random. I'm slightly tipsy and just chilled. I don't drink all the time, but if it's party time, watch out.

I'm not sure how much of an empath I am, I just read that word earlier in the week (reading a book written by a sociopatch-whom I also think I can spot out in seconds)...I regard any quirks I may have down to my PTSD-ness.
  22. gms1976

gms1976 Member

Expat you have some wonderful sensitivities. I'm new to this - a complete novice - and I don't have a clue how to work it all out yet, but you seem to be really emotionally intuitive which is really great for a guy. So many men I know, including my own family, are almost emotionless in their expressiveness. I want to shake them til their teeth rattle sometimes! Just the fact that you can read people without even getting to know them says a lot. I have a similar experience, although my brain often reads "Is this person a threat to me or not?"

I can walk past someone on the sidewalk and feel uneasy. Some people just don't "feel" right. It's almost like their energy is prickly/jagged or something - for lack of a better explanation. It's more a sensation than a picture. Whatever it is, it's uncomfortable and it pushes me away from them. Some people just seem to radiate negativity like a beacon - I work with one - and it is really hard to deal with. I often - to my own dismay - find myself taking on some of her negative characteristics. It's that sponge phenomenon I mentioned above.

About a month ago I met someone and we bonded instantly. It was weird and wonderful at the same time. There was this smooth, calm, emotional feel about her (I think I was recognizing her energy) that just felt right. Something felt right and so right, in fact, that we ended up sharing a lot in only a few hours. I'm normally quite socially awkward and she and I hit it off like we'd known each other for years. I'm thrilled to have a new friend. I wish it would happen more often.

I've been putting all this quirkiness down to my PTSD too, until I started realizing something was whacky (if PTSD can get any whakier) - no one could be that crazy and I can do Mad Hatter balancing on one hand. I'm always too emotional, even when things have little connection to me at all and I think I'm picking up on subtle background energy but that's just my thoughts and theories - I'm a newbie at this. I would like to turn the volume down if possible. Some days I wish I could turn it off entirely because I want nothing more than to be normal and fit in.

I liked what you shared above. Thank you for doing so!
    Whitneys story, MIsul and Abstract like this.
  23. Whitneys story

Whitneys story My very own hug forever! Premium Member

@gms1976, I am glad to see you are getting a mix of responses! No matter what name or title is used a complete understanding is required.

Please use caution as an incorrect understanding can be hazardous. It is different for everyone.

This is a great thread with a lot of information. Yet I would re qualify with your therapist. Your opening post of what criteria by therapist claims has no proven records. It may be their opinion which they are entitled to. I wish you success with your journey! Whitney
    MIsul likes this.
  24. Expat in Australia

Expat in Australia New Member

Cheers, I attribute that to having three older sisters. I love and respect women and get along with them very well. I've had PTSD for roughly 40 years, was diagnosed maybe 3-4 years ago (we thought it was ADHD), and now I'm just trying to live with it as best as possible. It'll never leave me, I doubt it will diminish, so I may as well learn from others in here and try a few different things until I find something that works.

I hope we all get some peace, that's for sure.
    MIsul likes this.
  25. circe47

circe47 Active Member

Fellow empath checking in. I have pretty much every symptom. I have always been very, very sensitive since as long as I can remember, both emotionally and physically.

I attribute this to PTSD and a finely honed vigilance system. In order to survive violent situations, a young child needs to be on guard and becomes quite adept at reading environments and individuals. As the child grows older, the sensitivity trait becomes over developed to the point of keen psychic abilities bordering on paranormal- or so I suspect.

What is really troublesome for me is that I take on physical symptoms of others. I can honestly say that I have never been much of a sweets eater. Now that my diabetic brother is living with us, I can't get enough sugar. It's making me fat. My ex came to pick up our son about a month ago. He explained how he had recently been in the ER for congestive heart failure. Now- I have NO emotional ties to him one way or the other after he abused me for 13 years. I don't hate him....I don't love him. If anything- I feel sorry for him. This is why as soon as he walked into the house and began explaining his recent illness, I had a sharp pain in my core that didn't go away until he left. It was NOT a figment of my imagination- I literally had trouble breathing through the pain.

I was once on a commuter train and observed what must have been a 300 lb. woman glaring at a 20 lb. little girl of about six or seven years old. By watching the silent exchange of hostility v. terror (the little girl's) I KNEW that as soon as this ugly, beastly, gorilla got the tiny little girl home she was going to be on top of her.......beating the crap out of her. I was so scared and angry I had to fight to not attack the woman to save the little girl. It was uncanny how clearly I could see the future exchange that WAS going to take place. Was it just reading a non verbal exchange between mother and daughter, or was it a vision of this little girl's life?
    gms1976, Abstract and Misul like this.