• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Anyone taken more than one kind of anti depressant at same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2001

Confident
So I see Pdoc in about week and a half. I got started on Amytriptaline 25 mg at night as treatment for pain from urologist. That is a tricyclic antidepressant and I didn't know how that would mix with other drugs for depression? The dose is smaller but I wouldn't want to go much higher on that one due to side effects. I would rather take an SSRI for the Ptsd and depression since it's much less for side effects. I know MAOI's don't mix well. Just curious what was mixed meds for you all:)?

Amtriptiline is an older class of medication so the newer psychiatric meds have less interactions from what I understand. Most likely they will put you on something other than another antidepressant, or see if the Amtriptiline makes a difference in your mood.

I've been put on Prozac and Remeron at the same time (both SSRI class, though Remeron also affects norephine if I remember right) and ended up with Seretonin sydrome. However, I've been on Lexapro & Remeron, Lexapro & Ambilify, Lexapro & Trileptal... etc. These didn't have any major interactions or give me Serontonin Sydrome. It's definitely something to talk to your PDoc about. Make sure they know about the Amtriptiline and everything.

The other thing they might do is just put you on an anxiety medication (such as Vistiral or Xanax) and see if that works well with the Amtriptiline.

Thank you for sharing! I will make sure the pdoc knows of the amitryptaline. I think mixing those drugs would be challenging. Sorry you had serotonin synd... that sounds scary. I'm not thinking the amytryptaline at the current dose will work since it is very low and is usually like triple the dose I am on to treat depression. I can see how an anti anxiety will help. Getting the b12 injections did help a little since I was low on that.

I was taking desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) and mirtazapine (Remeron) both at max doses for a while and fortunately I didn't experience serotonin syndrome or any other serious side effects. Pristiq is a newer drug and worked quite well but I felt a bit zombied and my depression wasn't improving substantially so I opted to drop it and just take mirtazapine. Everyone's body and brain is different, hope you get relief!

All 3 of those medications I was on several years back. These medications alone are no joke when you mix them they are not even close to a joke. Had a very bad time.
Peace be safe

I am glad he took the Amytryptaline away. They have been trying to get me to take that again but I never will. I don't like the prozac or wellbutren either. We are all different though for some they maybe the right choice. They have lots of medications to choose from. best of luck I hope they help you.
Peace be safe

Thanks @Esterio:) That’s tough to have so many not work.. glad there are lots of options! The doc said he hated Amytryptaline for all of the side effects. They all make me nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back