• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Apartment trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chitoshi

MyPTSD Pro
Okay so I wasn't sure where to put this, but here it goes. We've had a communal leaky indoor stairwell for running 8-9 months now. I've called and my fiance has called multiple times and they said they had started work on another building, then a month later said they patched our roof.

Well the patch didn't work and I informed them of it. They said they'd take care of it.

It is now a week to two weeks later. I fell down the wet indoor stairs today and bruised myself In several places, but did not hit my head and do not think it is worthy of a doctor's visit as I sit here at work. I am however wet with the rainwater from the mid back down at work because I feared to go up the stairs to change. Do I write a letter to my landlord or what am I supposed to do in this situation?

My mom may have suggested that my calling about problems in the apartment and surrounding location (only stairs) may have pegged me as a problem tenant.

I wouldn't worry about being labeled a "problem tenant." If you can afford to move, I would look into it, they seem really slow and not doing so well in their repair work. If you have something else lined up, tell them you either want out of your lease or the repairs fixed within the week. I realize fighting this stuff can feel near impossible with ptsd running stuff in your mind, but if you do make things better for yourself because of it, you will feel stronger.

I recently with through some major landlord issues including leaky roof an the black mold that resulted. Do not go to the landlords again without speaking to lawyer first. Make an anonymous call to the health department. I am sick and running on little no sleep so my mind isn't working well atm but know that somewhere in my brain I have a ton of advice and "wish I had done this or that" in my head. Give me a day or so to recover. I do know if you say you were injured in my state they can just say "ok, we are letting you out of you lease early be gone in 3 days" So don't tell them anything until you have spoken with a lawyer, even if it is a free legal clinic.

I am glad you were not seriously injured. I would call a lawyer to see what your legal options are that keep you safe within the guidelines. If I were you and in your position, I would look for another better place to live if you can afford it.

It sounds like really bad managers which is a problem all by itself. My heart goes out to you in a big way because you pay good money to live there and they do not appreciate you being there.

This is a very aggravating situation and problem. Seek out a good lawyer first and go from there.

Call the board of health. I just did on my landlord. Where I live, I'm protected from retaliation for 6 months, and then the eviction process takes forever. Call, this is just bullshit!

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm terrified to do anything, but I've logged the number of times and when I've called when I can find it.

I called the apartment before I read not to and let them know I fell down the stairs at 6:35am this morning. They told me they will be unable to fix it before winter because it is too cold and that they will put carpet down.

My heart is beating pretty fast because my fiance's mom told me to call the our town's Code Violation officer so I did and left a message but all I can do now is wait.

I'm not sure we cannot afford to move to a different place because the change in cost may break us, but I think if we go from 2 bedrooms to one, maybe. I'm not sure. My fiance might be laid off in December because of a tax that has been repealed in our area and I don't make enough in my internship year to help support us.

I'm not sure we can afford a lawyer, and my fiance pointed out that the only thing they may be able to do is get us out if the lease if I was seriously injured, which I was not.

I will wait and see, but I don't want to be on bad terms with the landlord because they seem like nice people.

I'm also drafting a documentation letter. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point but I'm feeling very unsafe mentally.

Thanks so much for everyone's support. I am at work on my phone right now and have tried to do some editing for clarity and rereading, but will edit later when I get home in case I'm not clear.

@Chitoshi You shouldn’t be afraid. You pay your rent and landlords have a responsibility to provide a safe environment. My apartment is beautiful, but my landlord decided when he moved out of the other side of the building and hit the lottery that he didn’t care anymore. Well, I let him know that as long as he owns the place, he’s responsible. There were smoke detectors going off all hours of the day and night for weeks. They would go off for about 3 minutes, then shut off. Told him 3times. f*ck you, I called the fire department. He was given 24 hours to fix it.

Then I asked to have the heat turned on. No response. So after 2 more times asking, f*ck you, I called the board of health. He was given 2 hours to turn it on and he also had to hire an electrician and put an outside light on my back porch.

Don’t be afraid...... You are standing up for yourself and protecting yourself. Like @Fadeaway said, there could be black mold growing and that is dangerous.......

@She Cat, thanks for the encouragement.

The Code Violation officer got back to me today but we missed each other by minutes, he left the office before I could call back. I have to wait until Monday.

@Chitoshi Well, on Monday, you call him back, and keep calling until you connect with him. Don’t give up!!!

When I got home today, landlord hadn’t done anything about smoke detector. I called him!! He hemmed and hawed until he finally said, ok, I’ll be over. He took it down and in one minute the thing went off and wouldn’t shut off. He had to go buy another one. NOT my problem!!! I’m just not into listening to smoke detectors going off all night long! Your apartment, YOU FIX IT!!!!

Alright so it's Sunday. I was going to call the Code Officer on Monday to get back to him, but now I'm not sure what to do. They re-patched the roof on Friday afternoon for the indoor stairwell between apartments.

It stormed all Friday night, Saturday all day, and half the night Saturday (flood warnings), and this morning it isn't raining but it's wet. The indoor stairwell is dry so far except for the rug that is having trouble drying out.

However, there is a bulge in my living room ceiling that has water staining on the drywall/paint that looks like it seeped, this patch looks like it was previously repaired before we even moved in. I had previously told my landlords about it but they told me they couldn't do anything until they get the roof fixed. I'm not sure they patched that part on the roof, as it is bulging more than before.

I have half a mind to have my fiance tell them on Monday that we have a bulging patch in our ceiling, but I'm a little sick and tired of constantly telling them our problems to not have them do anything about it. I'm worried it isn't fair to the Code Officer's time to say "Yea they fixed the patch on Friday but there's a bulge in my ceiling that looks like water damage and they previously told me they wouldn't do anything about it until the roof was fixed."

I guess my problem is I hate to be a complainer but this is beyond my ability to fix myself (not like it's my responsibility anyways that's structural integrity and whatnot), and I'm afraid to talk to my landlords because of how much stuff is going on in the apartment like the shedding metal they still haven't fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back