1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Appetite Question - How Do I Get It Back?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by JoannaG, Oct 26, 2006.

1. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

2. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

Get yourself into some exercise maybe... that usually brings on hunger.
  3. Rick

Rick New Member

If you haven't already done so, check whether the medications you are taking, and/or when you take them, might work as an unintended appetite suppressant. I know that paxil did that to me for awhile and then the side effect passed.
  4. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

JoannaG,

That's a tough one to offer a suggestion on because loss of appetite as I've experienced it and as you appear to be describing it is often beyond ones control.
    If you think it's the meds causing this it sounds like you need definately to speak with your doctor. If you think it's severe depression, as was in my case, again you need to speak with a doctor. If you're wasting away to nothing and you say you can't seem to eat much, then quite possibly this may be beyond your control and you need some medical attention. When I lost my appetite and it continued, there was nothing I could do alone to revive it. It was gone and I needed help. If you can seem to just force yourself to eat more, well then no problem. If you can't and this continues speak with your doctor. Let's know what turns out.
  5. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

Exercise? It's all I can do to go from one side of the house to the other. Even though I have sixteen acres to roam. The meds definately do not help This is the third time on paxils and lorazepam for me.

I want you guys to know however that from reading your posts I've come to realize that I can't fix this alone with the pills. The whole PTSD thing I mean and you have helped me admitt that alcohol is a problem I need help with as well. :naughty: Binger

I called my local mental health center this morning and asked for help, thanks largely in part to this forum and a little family support from my sister and my neice. I know I need more than just my doctor

I am hoping they can help me with coping, therapy and maybe even help my spouse and I understand each other better. I think he would go If a counselor or doctor requested it. They are going to call back with an assessor tomorrow morning.

I going to try some pasta today. Nothing heavy as my stomach has been cramping up for heavier stuff. Any more suggestions are greatfully accepted.

Thank you so much everybody.
    Joannag
  6. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

....JoannaG, glad to here you knew just who to call and did so. Very Important! I just don't want to see you having to struggle alone. It never, ever, ever worked for me and I consider myself pretty dam intell. LOL ..(that's suppose to be funny). No seriously, hope you slow down and take little baby steps toward your goals, because you said you've got a binge drinking problem and I too have had problems with alcohol in my life and it only seriously and life-threatingly so, complicated the sh#* out of seeing and dealing with my PTSD. And, there's no quick and simple answers to this one, I've been there, and know there's hope as long as we stay our own allie, as you're doing by asking for help.
  7. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

When I was on wellbutrin, it worked wonders for the depression/anxiety. It also killed my appetite. Just the thought of food made me sick to my stomach. I ended up losing 20 pounds in a month and had to get off of the stuff.

I agree with the others about talking to your doctor to see if the meds are causing/contributing to not wanting to eat. You might want to try eating things that help settle your stomach (bananas, white *unspiced* rice, broth, dry toast) until you're feeling stronger.

Another thing, if your blood sugar drops too low (from not eating) that will also kill your appetite. I know when my blood sugar drops too low it can trigger my symptoms. There are many times I just don't feel like eating because I'm feeling bad. But I know how much worse I'm going to feel if I don't eat, so I just make myself get something in my stomach.

Hang in there.
  8. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry New Member

Hi Joanna,

I'm so glad that you are getting yourself more help!
    I battle with the appietite loss everyday.

A couple of months ago at 5'7" and weighing only 97lbs I was basically told, that if I didn't start eating and gaining weight... hospitilization was a real possibility.

It was so hard, food was not appealing at all, and I just wasn't hungry.
    Fruit was the first thing I started forcing myself to eat.
    Banana's, apples, and melons seemed to be gentle on my tummy.
    If I wasn't able to finish the entire banana in one sitting, I would put it to the side, and force myself to finish it later!
    I stayed far away from greasy foods, because those just seemed to make me feel more nausaus.

Think small portions, several times throughout the day.
    The best method I found (when I have enough energy to do it...) is to pack yourself a "day" lunch.
    That way, there is no cooking/preparing/etc. you just reach into your "lunch bag" and snack. Heck, I had to walk around with it, just so I would eat!

And make sure your partner is on your ass about eating!
    My boyfriend portions me out my meals now... and watches over me to ensure that I finish ALL the food on my plate.
    Yes you might feel like a kid... but it's better than being admitted to the hospital for starvation.

Right now I'm 110lbs, and still have to force myself to eat.
    But after seeing some older pictures of myself (from months ago) and looking at my "bony stick figure" body... I felt sick... at the time I hadn't realized just how bad it had gotten.
  9. piglet

piglet New Member

I keep a box of cereal handy - cheerios or weetabix minis(the chocolate ones). I can pick at it as and when I like and it's good for me too! They also keep for ages, so there's no waste like with grapes and stuff.
  10. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry New Member

Yes piglet!
    I forgot to mention that!
    (as I look down at the floor I see my cheerios, and mini-wheats, lol)
  11. Nam

Nam New Member

When I was down to 98lbs. (5'2"), I forced myself to eat. If I went into the kitchen, I grabbed something. A cracker, anytihing. And I drank alot of fluids. There were times that I couldn't keep anything down, but try to eat. Another thing, if you by chance get just a little bit hungry...EAT! Even if it's three in the morning! I remember many times laying in bed thinking I should be sleeping but feeling a little hungry. Especially when anxious, eating helps. Hot cocoa, ice cream, comfort food.
  12. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

It's funny what you sid about the cereals. Yesterday my first meal was a quarter bowl of fruit and nut cereal dry. It did seem to kick start my apetite though and actually ate three meals for the first time in a long time.

Anthony has been kind enough to let me into the private PTSD group.
    I'm going to need you guys however as it seems there is a waiting list at the mental health center. She the lady who phoned kept asking if I wanted counselling or a psych. I must of told her three times I didn't know but I would likely need both. arghhhhhhh. :fart-face In Ontario here we are all amalgamated three counties. Could be a month or more to wait. Health costs are mainly covered by gov and work combined. Meds for me are $5.00 each. pretty affordable. Kept pushing about specific dates and times too. You guys know how the timeline memory is on these meds. :cuckoo: Oh well I guess I just have to wait it out.
    Going to the private forum to read up for a while. Not just snooping it's helping me realize what I already know. I definately have PTSD.
    Thanks Joannag
  13. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry New Member

Well we are here for you whenever you need!
  14. Nam

Nam New Member

A waiting list in a mental health center!!!! There's no such thing as waiting in that situation!!! WOW.
  15. kimG

kimG New Member

Nam, it kind of reminds me of a situation I faced a few years ago.

I've been going to counseling on and off for the last 15 years or so, but none really intense enough to get to the heart of the matter. I remember one time when I felt like I really needed to see a counselor but the insurance I had at the time required us to go through another company (Magellan Mental Health) for pre-approvals to see a counselor (yeah, go figure). I called around 4:50 pm - they closed at 5:00 - and was put on hold for about 5 minutes. By the time it was my turn, the girl who answered the phone wasn't in the mood to help me and basically said that if I didn't like the first appointment day/time she gave me, I'd have to call back the next day. Something happened during the short course of the conversation and we ended up getting disconnected and by that time it was after 5 and no one was answering the phone! My husband and I talked about how bad it would've been if I had been suicidal; that disaster of an attempt to get help would've probably put me over the edge if I was.

It amazes me how the mental health community often acts as if mental health problems only happen between 9 and 5...and they think if someone calls for an appointment, they can wait 3 or 4 weeks to get help. I don't know about anyone else on this board, but getting up the nerve to pick up the phone and actually admit I have something wrong with me to the point of needing a doctor is something that is very hard for me to do. If I have to wait 3 or 4 weeks, I probably won't keep the appointment, instead thinking how unimportant I am that I have to wait so long to be seen. I can be a very patient person with anyone but myself; if I ask for help and can't get it w/in a reasonable amount of time, I begin to climb into my pity-pot and think how unimportant I am and how unworthy of help I am.
  16. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

I think what we all really need is positive reinforcement and I have to admitt that I have gotten more here in six weeks than I have in 20yrs from so called spouses(no offence, just mine) friends, coworkers, or doctors.
    NOV21 is the date they gave to to come in only for a counsellor, even though I specified I wanted a psyc to tell me if my meds are correct for my types of anxiety disorders. Seems the local psych is only part time as well. We have a major medical worker shortage in southwestern Ontario.
    It doesn't help when there are so many devious people against you and favoring the ex or soon to be ex. You girls will know what I mean by this.
    The head games they are plotting and carrying out is whats really crazy.
    I have found out what is truly going on and now I'm just sooooo pissed off and ready to fight it out to the end right now. I truly think they are trying to drive me to the nut house, then hubby can swoop in while I'm gone and sell everything. I must be getting better, hitting the anger stage. An know I m not just paranoid even though I should be.
    I guess that means the meds are finally just about sunk in. Eating again, feeling hungry, just the sleep thing now and I'm really against lorazepam(ativan) right now. Definately was not working for me. Hence my car accident,Paxils are though.
    Back to work next week and it looks like I am walking, or hitchhiking. It's going to be a lonnng walk every day. Especially with the snow arriving as I speak. Have to try to find a carpool at work. Anyway didn't man to turn this into a rant. I may cancell the appointment, everything they teach is available online. True friends and family however few are here and you guys and gals of course.
    Yes we are all worthy of dignity, respect, honesty, and trust.
    Take care for now bubble bath time. Have a good night.
  17. YoungAndAngry

YoungAndAngry New Member

g'night :)

What are you taking lorazepam for?
    It sedates you, and 'causes you to feel lazy

I don't know how the health system in Ontario is...
    but here in Alberta... I just walked into the pysch ward at the local university hospital.

They saw the just how severe I was, and after filling out the forms, I was seen by a therapist within 5 minutes.
    After a quick evaluation, I was told to come back at a certain time later that day.

When I came back, the therapist had set up an appointment with the psychiatrist he works with, and they immediatly reviewed and adjusted my meds.

I now see that counselor every week, and he makes psych appointments as needed.

Orginally I had been referred to a psych at that same hospital by my family doctor.
    I was told the earliest appointment available was 3 months away!!!
    Funny thing is... I was already seeing my counselor at the hospital at least a month before my "scheduled" appointment!!

Maybe if you walk into a clinic first thing in the morning, you can sign up on the "walk-in" list.
    Go early though, the list usually fills up fast!
    Just tell them you would like to talk to someone (counsellor) today.
    They have a certain amount of "walk-ins" they allow a day, so if you can't get an ealier appointment, just go and explain your situation
  18. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

Yes I could go 90min away and admitt mysel if the crisis gets too severe.
    It won't change the situation at home however. It is becoming war of the roses here. I extended my sick leave twice with my doc now. She won't do it again however. Told me to get my s*** together and get out of relationship I am in. The flashbacks are less intrusive with paxils. The lorazepams cause me too much confusion, memory loss an no motivation to do anything at all, except sleep. A temporary solution which did it's job too well. Also made me really crave the beer. maybe just me I don't know.
    I also have read online that in PTSD and depression conbined that the Psyc's found benzo's did not work in a lo of cases. Can't remember the link at this moment sorry
    I finally got my story online here. It's working now I will post the link in the trauma diaries for you all.
    Hubbies hiding in motorhome in barn and after yesterdays episode I think he can stay there permanently.:stupid: I am so sick of verbal attacks and false assumptions. I just will not even try to explain myself to these people anymore. They have already made up there minds and unfortuntely there is nothing I can do except stand guard over what I have left. This makes the counsellor solution unprobable at this point. Small town, small minded hics.
    Not born here don't fit in mentallities. I finally fell asleep around 3:30 I had power out three times due to winters first full blast last night,ice rain ect.
    I was disconnected in the middle of downloads, posts, research ect.:doh:
    Mustget food into me that's all for now.
  19. JoannaG

JoannaG New Member

sorry about the spelling my keyboard is wearing out. Ready for a replacement