• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Approval Of My Dissertation Thesis Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I met with my advisor for an official dissertation discussion meeting. He approved my topic and added a second perspective as to how to answer the question. At the end my advisor even teased me that my medical leave must not have been much of a leave after reading thousands of articles and outlining a literature review.

This meant I had to drive to campus, walk from the car to the building while dodging traffic, bikers (one even came down a set of stairs), skaters, and people, all of whom do not watch out for a giant service dog let alone the person connected to it. I struggled to communicate, but my advisor was patient as always, and I somehow managed to coherently express my thoughts, ideas, and opinions. He signed off on all the papers.

Even though I was shaking by the time I reached my car and had to practice some calming techniques, I was feeling proud of myself.

Proud is exactly the right emotion to feel, and what a truly great feeling that is! PTSD is a reason for how we are, but should never be an excuse to stop us reaching our true potential. Keep up the good work so you can continue to heal and inspire those who shall take notice of your sucess. By the way it would be good to know the topic of your thesis?

Steve

Whoop whoop, DGN! This is fabulous news - congratulations :)

Are you doing your dissertation by research or coursework?

I ask b/c I've almost finished a masters by research & can offer you some research sites where post-grads hook up online or in person to discuss their dissertations & theses topics. I found them very helpful. I was off-campus so it reduced my feelings of isolation even tho many of the users of those sites were on-campus.

Bravo to you!! :D

Thank you very much to all!

tumblr_lp7rdkOAC01qlnrguo1_500.gif

Congrats to you, DGN, for the approval and for your perseverance to push thru all the obstacles in your path. You should be VERY proud. Wish we had known so we could have celebrated with you. Well done, always knew you could and would do it.

Nice acceptance images!!!

Dream is getting even closer. Nothing but the best for you!

Beaming for you and with you,
Alex

Are you doing your dissertation by research or coursework?

I ask b/c I've almost finished a masters by research & can offer you some research sites where post-grads hook up online or in person to discuss their dissertations & theses topics. I found them very helpful. I was off-campus so it reduced my feelings of isolation even tho many of the users of those sites were on-campus.

I have completed my coursework and am now working only on the dissertation project. I first have to write a literature review related to previous studies done by other researchers. My knowledge of this I will need to defend in front of a panel. Then I need to focus on how and why I want to study a certain question in a certain way. This I will also have to defend in front of the same panel. Then I can run the study, decide how I will collect data and how to analyze them. For the final dissertation I will have to give a presentation for an hour and my committee will have another 30 min to ask me anything. If they think my defense was good enough then they will pass me. Sometimes the committee will ask for certain changes to be made and then I can rework those parts. At times they will ask you to redefend the question and answer session. It will be long but one step at a time will hopefully help me succeed.

I would like to connect with the group online. How do I go about that?

Hi DGN :) That's an amazing process - I don't have to defend my Master's thankfully. I just have to submit it in oh, a few days.

Here are the 2 websites which I found really useful - the first is based in Australia & is www dot methodspace dot com - once you join up you can join groups involved in specific areas, ask questions etc. I always got great accurate feedback from there relevant to my topic, research project & case studies.

The other is in the UK and is www dot postgraduatetoolbox dot net - I found the forums section & the advice section really useful b/c I was off-campus & unable to get any support. The thing I missed the most was interacting with other students b/c I lived overseas for most of my study, so the sites allowed me to bounce ideas off others.

I so hope those sites are helpful :) My Masters has taken 6 yrs, it's been a labour of love - sometimes an extremely difficult one but most of the time it was pure joy. Being half-blind & dyslexic with visuospatial processing disorder, depression, anxiety, ptds & mild OCD to say I learned a few things along the way would be pretty accurate LOL Feel free to PM me any time :)

Congratulations!! :)

I think you are doing so great, I'm not surprised one bit that you were able to express yourself in such a posed manner. I can image such awesome things from you and though it may all seem a bit daunting you have everything you need to do what is in front of you.

I have my own journey I hope to continue so I do gain hope through each person here. Reading each accomplishment means a lot to me.

way-to-go-7.png
I couldn't figure out the illustrated link so I cheated. I just wanted you to know that I am following and cheering you on :)

peace and strength,
Rain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back