1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Appt With New Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by canucklady, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canucklady

canucklady Active Member

Ok, so I have met with this new psychiatrist for 3 sessions. The first session was ultra anxious, second session wasn't much better and she seemed frustrated with my answers. She said to me "It is like pulling teeth to get any information". Well I had written out all the information, because I KNOW I get quiet when meeting someone for the first time. I knew I would forget things and panic. So I told her to just read my notes that I had written, which was history of what happened, year by year. Moods, meds all that stuff. She says she is too busy to read and too busy to call my psychologist who knows alot of my history. So I had 3rd session with her, she says I need to work on PTSD symptoms (no kidding Einstein!!!). But she doesn't do "talk therapy", she referred me back to family doc, suggested new meds and refered me to another psychologist. To make things worse, she prescribes chlorpromazine (aka throrazine), which I just looked up is an anti-psychotic that has more side-effects than benefits. I am so confused and scared.

I am a little frustrated with the system here. I can't seem to get help I need. I would love to stay with psychologist and forget this psychiatrist, but psychologist charges $150/session, which is not covered.

Just venting I guess. I need to make a choice on what to do. Maybe my family doctor will have another suggestion. But she is on holidays for 2 weeks.

Tired of this long process.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. metis-siren

metis-siren Active Member

I just wanted to say I've been there and its hard. I've been to the very money orientated psychiatrists who only want to medicate you, I've seen the therapists that don't like you, and thus don't want to work with you, and I've seen the ones that will see you but only for 6 sessions. Hopefully, you'll be able to find someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to dedicate the time to working with you. I don't know if there any local resources, but sometimes there are lists available that give you an idea of who is pretty good with working with patients with PTSD, if they're not covered, if they do sliding scale payment plans, etc. I don't know if maybe Canadian Mental Health Association may be able to help you out?

It is a long process and it is daunting, but you're worth it.

Warm wishes,

A. Lauren

4. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

Hi CL...this whole process of finding the right kind o fhelp is so daunting...I've been at it for awhile now too and my doc's on holiday to probably for another week and a half...it could be more...hang in there...Unfortunately I don't have any advice to offer other than what Siren said...try to look up local people(where i live some of them even have pics up on the website so you can usually pick off the ones that look like quacks...whiel it's not good to judge a book by its cover, you have to still make sur ethattyou can be as comfortable a spossible talking to them)...Good luck :)

5. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Hang in there, and you will find one that actually cares. I know it can be a pain in the :moon: I went through at least 15 before I found one that actually care, was intelligent, and was knowledgable in PTSD....He actually was my life line. If it wasn't for Don I think I may be dead by now. I truly owe him my life.

So keep searching... Don't give up.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar