• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Are The Majority Of Therapists Crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But that wouldnt be most but some or even a few.
As for the all, majority, most, many, some, few question -- how's this? ALL of the therapists I've seen did less than they were capable of doing to help me. They ALL weaved and bobbed through sessions avoiding the hard stuff (no matter how obvious I made it that I needed to talk about it) trying to keep it as easy as possible for no one's benefit but their own. ALL.

Does that mean they're "crazy" by Webster's definition? No, but it does mean they suck. And they're getting paid for something they're not doing.

ALL of the therapists I've seen did less than they were capable of doing to help me. They ALL weaved and bobbed through sessions avoiding the hard stuff (no matter how obvious I made it that I needed to talk about it) trying to keep it as easy as possible for no one's benefit but their own. ALL.
I'm sorry that's been your experience, OP. A number of people have shared their experiences, and they fall all across the spectrum from 'All mine were bad, too' to 'I've had only good therapists'. it sounds like you've answered your thread - you asked, are the majority of therapists crazy? And your conclusion is, Yes, they are.

You are confident in this -
Well, that's your issue, I did nothing wrong.
- that it was them, not you. Also, that there's nothing to be done about it:
NOTHING HAPPENS when you report them, so what's the point?
Is there anything else you are looking for in this thread? Do you want more opinions? If not, I'll lock it. If yes, please just say so.

-Joeylittle

By that measure then I would say no, the majority of therapists aren't crazy, not by a very long shot. There are some good and some bad - my experience of good far outweighs the bad.

In my case we're talking one T who, in our second round of treatment was really struggling. She was great first time around and I went back to see her 18 months later and I think she'd maybe had a string of bereavements and just wasn't coping.

I've since seen 2 others, one very long term, and they've been great. I also know a number of Ts through my own profession, I'd say I know them well enough to know how they work with clients, and again the majority are great. I can think of one or two I wouldn't refer people to out of a group of maybe 16-20. So no, I don't think the majority of Ts are crazy.

Is there anything else you are looking for in this thread? Do you want more opinions? If not, I'll lock it. If yes, please just say so.
I don't think there's ever any reason to lock a thread. If individual members don't like it for whatever reason, they can click out of it and go find one they do like.

So, yeah, I'm still interested in what people have to say. You never know when someone new could stumble on the thread and offer something really insightful.

The first time I started seeing a therapist someone warned me that they're all crazy, but I thought he was being flip. Y...
I am a qualified and experienced therapist, have worked in London as well as my adopted country, and sadly I have to say that I am quite concerned myself at the psychological condition, and lack of empathy, knowledge and experience, of many in the profession. I have quite a number of worrying stories I could tell about questionable psychiatrists that I have worked with, highly qualified therapists who revictimise clients because they lack knowledge and experience and are themselves traumatised, others who simply scraped through their course by re-sitting exams and frankly do not have the intelligence to carry out their profession adequately, and who have not dealt with their own damaged conditions... the list goes on, unfortunately. As one person said, we are only human, but professionals as part of their training are required to have had therapy and dealt with their own issues before setting up practice. Practice is a good word for it, actually, because they are merely practicing on other vulnerable people. One common saying among therapeutic professionals is "Fake it 'til you make it" - that says a lot. Qualifications do not guarantee a good professional, unfortunately, sad to say.

One common saying among therapeutic professionals is "Fake it 'til you make it"

Thats a common saying everywhere.

I do not doubt there are unqualified therapists but it is the patient's responsiblity to 'shop around' and feel out each therapist before settling to one. It may take a bit but I spent a year feeling out my current therapist before i told him anything of my trauma. In that time we did a lot of trust building. If i felt he couldnt hold me up with my very complicated and less common trauma, i would have left and found another. That is on me if I didnt as this is a person that i bestow a lot; trust being the main one; so I must be sure he is more than qualified (actually qualified) to have the pleasure of helping me.

Now 8 years in call him the best in his field.

Many, MANY, people on here have therapists that are amazing. I am sure most wouldnt have stayed if they werent so great.

I am not convinced that most in the field are "crazy". Sorry.

I agree with this>
Thats a common saying everywhere.

But I have a problem with this.
it is the patient's responsiblity to 'shop around' and feel out each therapist before settling to one.
A "bad fit" is possible. A therapist that does not meet the minimum requirements to be considered a competent professional (though advertising and BILLING themselves as such) can't be chalked up to a "bad fit."

It's the therapist's responsibility to educate themselves on and execute best practices, understand and adhere to the professional code of ethics, and do the job they're paid to do to the best of their ability. If a therapist comes up short on any of these, it is 100% their fault, not the patient's for failing to "shop around" more.

Hi all. I'm the poster, above, who listed a bunch of messed-up mental health professionals.

Regarding this concern:

Of course their are bad T's out there. But one does wonder about the person receiving the therapy, rather than the therapist themself, when one person has a string of bad outcomes. That's not a dig at any particular poster: I can reflect that it's worked out really badly for me and some of the T's I've tried in the past. And it's painful to admit it, but a very big part of the reason for the bad outcome was...me.

Let me make his c!ear: All my examples of messed-up mental health professionals? That's not a list of mental health professionals who have 'done me wrong'. These are people in my real-time every day life: friends, family, acquaintances.

When I compare these real-life mental health professional friends, family, and acquaintances against my other friends, family, and acquaintances who are NOT mental health professionals, it's really obvious that the mental health professionals in my life are not nearly as psychologically healthy as those in my life who've chosen other professions.

If a therapist comes up short on any of these, it is 100% their fault, not the patient's for failing to "shop around" more.

I do agree with that, partley. Im not saying that if a therapist does something, lets say, ethically wrong, that its the patient's fault. Or at least Im not trying to.

What i am saying is there are bad therapist's out there but a lot of good & great ones too. Theres a lot to be said about feeling a therapist out, asking questions, etc before even coming out with your trauma. I make a therapist earn trust before i ever say a word about my trauma and the questions i ask are specifically to make sure they can handle a trauma such as mine.

The generalization of most therapists are "crazy" is wrong! The OP got all bad therapists and that sucks, im sorry that happened. BUT there are good therapists out there so try again, or look differently. If the OP is in the US there are professional pages everywhere and so id read past patient comments.

If the therapist doesnt feel right, end the session and go to another.

Thats all im saying.

Theres a lot to be said about feeling a therapist out, asking questions, etc before even coming out with your trauma. I make a therapist earn trust before i ever say a word about my trauma and the questions i ask are specifically to make sure they can handle a trauma such as mine.
Therapists who can't handle your trauma shouldn't exist. Especially not if they have "Trauma" right there on the list of conditions they're qualified to treat.

BUT there are good therapists out there so try again, or look differently.

If the therapist doesn't feel right, end the session and go to another.
Lots of people have pathetically limited options because of expense, insurance, location, etc. It's not so easy to just up and go find another one. It sucks to have to end therapy after months of searching, because some of these people simply can't or won't do the job they're paid to do, and it's too bad. No repercussions, no recourse, no way to prove what happened to anyone who wasn't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back