• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Are The Majority Of Therapists Crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are several of us on this thread who are attempting to say the same thing and we have different styles. Because it has gotten off track and some have tried to split hairs, (genuinely do not know or just want to argue behind a screen), some have gotten frustrated.

When we have something as serious as ptsd, it is difficult to make good decisions about choosing a therapist, but it is still "buyer beware". Whatever state you live in has a licensing board for all therapists, MSW, LPC, PsyD. etc. What we need to do, is know what is available in our state-then see training requirements. Each state will have a number of hours of training required , say 2000-5000 hrs of work before becoming licensed as well as passing an exam. Then you know the education and experience. From this, you can see what best suits you. Some think that those that have doc in psych are better educated (they have much more education), but much of it is in testing, does not apply to ptsd. I also can think of one local that is very very experienced and would trust with my life. However, many go into college teaching and testing such as kids and mental status for more severe diagnosis. The testing part is really critical but not for counseling.

Now you have the tools to interview therapists. You know their credentials and what they mean and can narrow it down a bit. When you show up for first appointment, have a list of questions ready, ask where they did their internships and supervision. That will tell you a lot. Much different if they did these at a Va hospital or at a youth service agency. Now you have more information. How long have they been practicing with a license. If they pass your criteria, you have the chance to get to know them and see if this is someone you can work with. Personally I would just not advice working with anyone with less than a masters degree and licensed. There are laws against practicing without a license but some agencies say they have a counselor and they are not licensed, but they may call them a rape counselor, or child counselor, they are really advocates. They cannot advertise as counselors and should not be misleading people, but I know it happens. Every licensed person has their license on their wall or you can ask for their license number and the board number. They are suppose to have a statement on their wall of competencies with the licensing board name, address, and phone.

I have had excellent to poor, but nothing tragic like some have described in a counselor. I feel for those that have been damaged this way. It is not acceptable or your fault. I think we just have to educate ourselves about what we should expect to prevent being a victim or being misled. While this is likely not the norm,I know that doesn't help if it happens to you.

Guys, this discussion has veered quite a bit - and in some places got quite ill tempered and bit personal. Please can we keep on topic and away from addressing directly people who have chosen to identify themselves in the thread. If you feel anonymity is getting in the way of a useful discussion it's absolutely fine to start a similar thread on the main forum discussing the particular issues you find interesting from here.

Some of the comments here come very close to being a personal attack, which is still against the rules in this part of the forum. If you wouldn't say it to someone with your name attached to it, please don't say it here under cover of anonymity - that's not the purpose or intention of this space.

Nope, not all and not even most. An incorrect generalization.

I agree with that completely. Unless they're one of the few that really did chose that profession for bad reasons, they are all trying to genuinely understand how to help you. Some are better at that than others.

Sileni - I'm guessing you're the OP here - you seem to have a real resentment and disdain for therapists in general. If so, I would suggest you avoid them altogether. It's not mandatory to see one. Plenty of people don't.

One of my pdocs was the typical silver spoon type. Family of doctors, private school, fancy car and office with a flash v...

I wish there was a love button.... I have had 2. My first one left/retired/moved on to volunteer work and referred me in office. Both have been a lifeline for me. I am so grateful to have someone who gives a shit once a week for an hour even if they are pretending. Some days I feel like I am so alone it is overwhelming but for an hour a week someone actually asks how my week has been and cares if it was good or bad.
I hate that the OP had a bad experience but that certainly doesn't mean that all therapists are crazy. They are human and aren't without fault but to stick such a negative thread out here when there are people on this site who are still trying to find the courage to start therapy is irresponsible and selfish.
For many of us, that hour is a lifeline and, although difficult to face at times, a partnership where someone is there to help.
I wish someone would close the thread...

I agree, Ini. And I agree too that it's sad the OP had a bad experience, and I too had a couple of bad experiences before finding the therapist I have now - who has been a total lifesaver for me!!
But this thread is pretty negative from the get-go - statement of all therapists are crazy.
Personally I hate statements of all " " are " " about anyone, but this hits a sensitive spot because I owe so so much to the therapist I see. Can't bear to see them "all" derided.
As in all "all ---- are ---" , the person making such statements needs to look inwards a bit to think - why do I feel so angry about "---".
No doubt this is s personal issue with one person, one therapist, that has been generalised to whip up some kind of majority vote so that no further wondering or reflection needs to be had in that experience because - hey, I have numbers on my side. A majority vote!
Like all the narrow minded, knee jerk things in life / narrow minded stuff - racism, sexism etc
Black and white thinking and sweeping generalisations do my head in - and especially when it encompasses a group of people who in the great majority aim to help and DO help many people.
I'm sorry for the OP, but you know what - work your personal problems out with the people you have them with, your therapist especially is someone who no doubt would have the ability to at least attempt to be open to listening.
Don't come here to whip up support and a majority vote against the very people who have signed up to help people like us navigate the very rocky ocean of PTSD and all that goes with it.
I'm out. Maybe if this website as well.
Can't take the negativity!

I am unwatching this thread because in no way is it helpful or conducive to what this forum should be about. I am new here and this definitely not a supportive, useful discussion or conducive to anyone seeking healing. I hope an administrator also sees the problematic use of the word "crazy" in the OP and throughout.

@joeylittle here.

Thread-bans have been issued to the individuals who have gone off on a tangent sniping at each other. Personal attacks are being edited.

I'm going to leave this thread open, because there are good posts in here.

but to stick such a negative thread out here when there are people on this site who are still trying to find the courage to start therapy is irresponsible and selfish.
We don't judge topics in this way. No-one is responsible for other people's healing. I do hear you, though, and appreciate your opinion.

I hope an administrator also sees the problematic use of the word "crazy" in the OP and throughout.
If I could do away with that word, I would. But we don't censor that way. Let it just speak to the OP's state of mind, and their own biases around mental health.

This is an anonymous forum, folks.

It's one thing to make a statement and want to own it; that's acceptable. It's another to go on a rampage through a thread, derailing it with a "they said/they said" argument that has nothing to do with engaging the topic at hand.

This thread either gets back on track, and discusses the experiences individuals have had with therapists - or it will be locked.

I dont prefer to use the word "crazy" but I do when talking loosely with friends who know what I mean, like to a friend when I say something like "stay away from that guy, he's nuts". Then of course I verbally have to follow up with the why. When talking about a group of people, I just don't prefer that term, and have read on to understand how/why the OP used this term.

I can't argue with someone else's reality. If the OP says that has been there experience, who am I to debate that. I do think that to have that experience, it is not the norm but the exception.

People who go into the field of therapy often have some very deep reasons to do so, in my opinion. I do not mean some deep dark place necessarily. I would say that the majority have had their own personal issues, but the majority also have overcome some serious obstacles before even entering the field. There are likely some who have not addressed there own stuff and are there to work there own stuff out, I just don't think that is the case. Call me Polly Anna if you must.

I have learned more on this forum about ptsd than I have from my therapist who diagnosed me, although she is able to help me with specific insights that are unique to me. I hope it is ok if I say this, with all due respect, Anthony who has ptsd himself stared this site. He has shared many experiences here openly. The experiences are not sugar coated and one could say about him "that is crazy". There are some that would dispute his abilities, a man with ptsd that started a forum that became successful, without the formal training. They are closed minded people in my opinion. We have to take what we find reasonable or works and leave the rest using common sense. This is not intended to upset anyone. I hope others see this in a realistic view.(without some negative interpretation of what I am saying)

If Anthony choose to become a therapist, I would be grateful to have his individual attention to my problems given his knowledge (which is much more than most educated and seasoned therapists have frankly). I use Anthony as an example because 1.)I think he is confident enough in his abilities and 2.) He would interpret what I am saying at face value, not reading a bunch of crap into it 3.) Because most of us here have come to know Anthony and some history he has shared 4.) Because Anthony shares that everyday is still not bliss, shares his own mistakes or shortcoming 5.)Because others look up to him and see what he has overcome 6.) Because his passion for learning may have begun for his own recovery, but it has become a life line for others and 7.) His help is genuine, honest, compassionate, empathetic, and skills used are usually done tactfully.

My observation and some assumptions : He has taken on ptsd with his own passion of the subject, and Im sure to save his own life. He is not the same person he was 1, 5, 10 yrs ago. He has grown and discovered through this, probably changed his mind about things during the process. He has studied the subject well, and applied it to himself and others. (no sense in re-creating the wheel). He has used what others in the field have found to be true, and applied it. (research, dsm, etc)

So is it bad that often T's have life problems of their own? I do not think so. I think it makes them better at what they do. Another example is addiction counselors. The best ones have had addictions themselves. They don't need a big degree for this, but they have had to had a passion and combined that with education on the subject. Whatever the T special, or if they have none, to be good in their profession, they need that continuing education. Psychology is not concrete and the material is for ever changing. The T can get required CEU's on line for little cost and do what they already know-it is cheap, easy, and doesn't require much enthusiasm. They can go to trainings that they actually need to learn to be better-this often requires traveling and costs which is an investment in themselves.

There is listening, and there is really listening. Unless a T is dissociating themselves, they absorb a shitload of negativity in any given week, or day for that matter, more than the average person hears in a life time maybe. A good therapist meets the client where they are. They listen attentively, and at any given moment, they need to thoughtfully choose to take a path with the client when there are many paths to chose from-prioritize which to address. They need to pay close attention to body language. They are often met with resistance, denial, and excused that they need to sort and address continuously. When that client leave, they still have notes to complete that will include much more than most of us realize. There is a high burn out rate and some become very lazy, but many don't, and keep their motivation and enthusiasm in treatment.

Even though they may have experience many of the same things as a client, they are not to disclose unless it is for the benefit of the client, but not just to share..."Oh my dad was an alcoholic too" is a no no. The therapy is for the client, not the therapist.

This thread is a perfect example of people thinking of what they want to say rather than hearing what the last person is really saying. God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth for good reason. We would probably all benefit from learning to listen more and talking less, myself included. We have all been in conversations where we are listening to the other but planning our response before the other has finished, and this interferes in hearing what the other is saying. This is so common in relationship/marital problems.

This is a helping profession and is going to attract the kind of person that feels good about helping others. That is not good or bad, it just is. Every profession has an "element" that the potential professional finds attractive. (I should have said every job even). I once had a job as a receptionist in the main lobby of a large building so I was the first person that you saw. I loved the job, it filled a social need, busy paced, multi tasking, energetic, smiling and welcoming and making others feel good. I had the personality for it for many years. I learned a lot about myself doing this job, one was being a people pleaser. That is where I was at that time and would not be able to do it today, nor want to.

If there is one thing that I can validate that the OP stated about T playing a game, it is that there are some old school therapists that would do certain things that might appear to be very gamey, but is for a purpose unknown to the client. One therapist would pick his nose to see clients response. Another therapist would make statements about wife behavior to provoke anger in marriage counseling to see if the husband would muster up some anger. These kind of things tell about ones style of assertiveness, passiveness, aggression, or passive aggressive in conflict resolution. This can help the therapist to quickly assess that in choosing how to move forward. Behaviors from the T will illicit discomfort and T has ability to witness how client responds. Cant comment on it being right or wrong. I don't know how effective all this is, but thought worth mentioning to validate OP experiences. Some old schoolers are still out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back