1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Are There Any Engineers Here? - Afraid To Reveal Too Much

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by coming_undone, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coming_undone

coming_undone New Member

I can't really give too much of my identity away other than to say that I am an engineer. I have been through a couple of fatality accidents.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Welcome to the forum.

4. SeaFoam

SeaFoam Member

Like... what kind of engineer? Fire service engineer (i'm a firemedic)? Welcome to the forums man - they are tough to go through whatever you do.

5. coming_undone

coming_undone New Member

Locomotive engineer. Thanks for the welcome. Been a short while since the last incident.

6. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

You are the first of that occupation with PTSD I have met here. I can see why you found us. I know I am a stickler stopping when it comes to crossings. I have to stop, I lost an uncle there. My best friend does that now (and has PTSD) and has hit vehicles also (I assume that is the case?). Before that he was a police officer. From the pan to the fire for him I guess.

7. SeaFoam

SeaFoam Member

Can I ask you, do they provide CISD sessions for you after a fatal accident? It helped me a lot the first fatality I went on..

8. coming_undone

coming_undone New Member

I gotta say one thing, being afraid to reveal too much is not accurate statement. I am not in a position to reveal much because of potential litigation. Insert lawyer joke here. :smile:

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET) is really pushing the PTSD matter for engineers. Railroads have traditionally told you to man up and catch that next train, although that is slowly starting to change. Time off after an incident is at your discretion. I have done it both ways, taken time off and gone right back to work.

Currently, there is not a critical incident program set up. I want to change that. I want to see the people that railroad have a chance to get completely through these things.

9. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hi Undone, welcome to the forum.

That sucks with the lawyers. Ain't they a bunch of fun! ;)

bec

10. SeaFoam

SeaFoam Member

Yeah they really need to get a CISD program going for you guys. It helps tremendously but is only effective the first few days after the accident. It can eat you alive if you don't get those feelings out. Just remember there is nothing you could have done to prevent it and you can't control other people... It's too bad that it happened but unfortunatly they happen.

11. coming_undone

coming_undone New Member

becvan, I wasn't trying to offend. It really sucks being grilled for doing your job right. Reliving the event two or three years later for a person that really doesn't care squat about what you have been through is tough. The general tactic is to force them to emotionally explode during deposition. (makes them look less than credible if they can't control themselves) I hate to say that this is not a first for me. I hope that it'll be a last.

I am learning a bunch about PTSD from reading here. It is kind of nice to see that my thought processes are somewhat normal. I wish I had these resources available years ago. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of very good friends that know about PTSD. I want to change this lack of information so that someday a person like me could have the resources needed to get through this and not be just a survivor.

:thumbs-up

12. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Hehe, Undone: I don't like lawyers, I was being sarcastic! You didn't offend me and no need to explain. Sounds like their tactics are rather grueling! That can't help your situation much! I hope it will be your last too!

bec

13. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member Donated

:hello: welcome to the forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

User search cloud:

1. do locomotive engineers have ptsd

Show Sidebar