1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You a Static Electricity Magnet?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by hodge, Dec 5, 2007.

?

Do You Have Problems with Static Electricity

1. Yes

46 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. Sometimes

16 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. No

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. hodge

hodge New Member

I'm just curious about how many others have problems with static electricity. We know that ptsd causes changes in our biochemistry. I'd like to see some studies on this aspect, too.

Anyway, I have really annoying problems with static electricity. When the humidity is like below 50 percent, I get bad shocks from touching metal, particularly car doors. It really hurts. For another example, I have to ask my husband to take the sheets off our bed for washing, because if I do it, there are sparks everywhere! Sometimes I'm afraid I'm going to spontaneously combust or cause a fire!! I also wonder if this is why I can't wear a watch. They stop working on me.
  2. kers

kers VIP Member

Can't say that I have any more problems with this than the occasional jolt when I bump something. I do like to rumple up my fleece blanket in the dark and watch the sparks go, though!
  3. hodge

hodge New Member

Haha, you're braver than me, Kers! The sparks freak me out. Be careful! (Spoken like a true firefighter's daughter ;)
  4. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I voted "sometimes". For me it depends on what the weather is like here. Newfoundland is generally very damp so we don't seem to have a ton of static, even in winter. When we do though, it does freak me out. I had an experience once where I was electrocuted by a faulty fridge, I touched the handle of the fridge and this thick blue line shot up my arm and into a filling in my tooth!! It threw me back onto the floor and it hurt like hell. I've always been a bit phobic of electricity since then.
  5. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

GRAMA=HERC is a static electriciyt magnet. I can't touch my cats during the winters here in Florida due to the dry air. I shock my cats so bad they won't come near me for days. Beside, it makes their hair stand out straight and is one of the funniest things you've ever seen

I do have a severe problem with this though. I can't touch anything without getting a pretty good jolt and It Drives Me Crayz
  6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

Nope.. lol

bec
  7. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I so am for this one.... its shocking.... literally!
    Srain likes this.
  8. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

My car likes to shock me. It's a sneaky little thing. You never know when it's going to get ya. Plus I'm with GramaHerc and the dry Florida winter air. Makes everything worse.

Lisa
  9. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

Yer, summer isn't an issue for me, but winter.... my god, I touch nic and zap her, kiss her and she gets zapped, etc.
  10. hodge

hodge New Member

For me it's year round as long as the humidity is low enough. Doesn't matter what season it is. I've done some more monitoring of my situation and I zap everything when the humidity is below more like 70% (rather than the 50% I estimated at first).

It's interesting that there's a rather equal distribution among the responses. Maybe I should have figured out a way to factor in climate and season.

Oh Herc, I meant to say I do that same thing to our poor cats! The youngest doesn't seem to mind, though.
  11. mightsurvive

mightsurvive New Member

Hi
    I get shocks all the time. Several times a day. Getting in and out of a car, touching a metal railing, sparks when i get into bed. Might be the rubber soled shoes i wear or nylon clothing? Sometimes they really do hurt a lot and sometimes they just tingle.
  12. sallysellsseashells

sallysellsseashells New Member

zapzap

I've noticed that I get zapped on escalators, by white-goods (when passing), and other people - they zap me! Just earlier, when I was trying to type and it was starting to get dark, I touched my touch-lamp (so I could see the computer keys) and it blew (cer-tink), but I'm not sure if that is because of my static, or it was gonna blow anyway.
  13. LovinHuggin

LovinHuggin New Member

Sometimes off cars and my cat.
  14. BloomInWinter

BloomInWinter Meeting My True Self Staff Member Premium Member

I'll sometimes be the one turning on the light switch and blow out the bulbs...now, I've gone through 3 bulbs in a day or two.

Does that mean I'm just the one it happens to and it was going to happen? Or that it's something about me? Do I secrete more sodium on the surface of my skin and conduct more easily?

Interesting and...bizarre.
  15. Serene

Serene New Member

For some reason I get zapped by the door knob when I leave my T's office. Every time I leave my T's office I touch the knob quickly before I grab it. And the funny thing is that I have switched Ts and it is the same in each office. I'm not making this up! Maybe I go through some kind of chemical metamorphosis while discussing my issues.

My car and cat also get me a lot.
  16. Ruth

Ruth New Member

I have a problem with static. At first I thought it was just a mental thing, until I worked in a warehouse. I would get static shocks from loading vinyl bags onto moving belts. I would get shocked so many times in the same places that I started to get burns. My employer had me stand on a rubber mat and gave me a can of static guard. After a few weeks they found a different job for me. No one else working that position ever had a problem with static. I no longer work there, but my problems with static continue. I hate the way static makes me feel. There are days were I feel like everything I touch shocks me.
  17. NIKI

NIKI I want to be the person my dog thinks I am. Premium Member

I don't just get shocked, I have blue sparks fly. Every time I open my mailbox, touch key to mailbox and blue sparks fly. I get a blue sparks light show when I get under my blanket. My husband and I get bad shocks when I kiss him on the lips. *That one hurts the worst*
  18. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

Wow! Blue sparks NIKI?

To answer the question: YES- I get zapped going into the car, bumping into things, etc. Sometimes (rarely), I'll see white sparks, but never blue.

Maybe we all have really dry skin or are dehydrated...
    NIKI likes this.
  19. jellymint

jellymint New Member

I used to corrupt floppy discs just by handling them. When I was getting daily revisions of a new software I was developing, I had to get a co-worker to install it for me from a floppy.
  20. Debi

Debi New Member

yes...does this really have some relation to PTSD
  21. Ruth

Ruth New Member

I'm not sure if there is any relation between Static and PTSD. I think static bothers me more because of my PTSD but beyond that I have no idea.
  22. Jacquie

Jacquie New Member

I hadnt realised this had changed until I read this. I used to get boots all the time. It was kind of normal. But I dont now. Am I dead?
  23. jo may

jo may New Member Premium Member

It's horrible seems that nearly everything I touch I get a shock from.
  24. Whoa. I know that I get shocked a lot more recently, especially getting out of my car. But I never thought it could have a reason behind it, especially PTSD.
  25. Anna

Anna VIP Member

hehe. I have days when I am *fully charged*
    Keep getting static shocks.
    healingangel90 likes this.