1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Are You A Walking Contradiction?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by permban0077, Aug 21, 2007.

Are Your Symptoms a Contradiction?

1. Yes, they are. I fear opposites.

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No, I fear only one way and find comfort in the opposite.

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

While speaking to becvan she said we are walking contradictions. Example we spoke about being agoraphobic and claustrophobic both. As I also spoke of I have a phobia of pills and meds, while I am an addict to them. I am constantly contradicting symptom wise.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Are claustrophobia and agoraphobia truly opposites though? To me they seem very similar, in that the core fear with both is of losing control and/or being unable to escape, albeit in different ways obviously. One clinical definition of agoraphobia is an irrational fear of being in a situation where escape is difficult or impossible. In claustrophobia the fear is similar; one is trapped in a small space and feels one cannot escape. Yes, one phobia is of open spaces and the other is of closed spaces, however the root fear, losing control, is identical.

safenow likes this.
  4. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Ahh, but is there a form of phobia that does not boil down to a loss of control?

permban0078 and safenow like this.
  5. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

I absolutely agree Veiled! Phobias all have the same root cause, so how can we say they contradict one another, when underneath it all they are the same? However perhaps I am becoming overly philosophical now and should just leave it at that! ;) You've touched on a topic I'm fascinated with, but I should not be hijacking your thread!

safenow likes this.
  6. 4gtfl1

4gtfl1 New Member

This is a great question, yes! on so many levels.

permban0034 likes this.
  7. winterose

winterose Kickboxer of PTSD

Yep, I am really bad on getting out. But if I am inside the house too long I get restless. So I spend time outside in back where noone can see me.:oops::rolleyes:

permban0034 likes this.
  8. Finding Shawna

Finding Shawna Live, Laugh, and Love

Great thread!

Core, permban0034 and winterose like this.
  9. Core

Core Well-Known Member

Yep, have an easier time falling asleep when laying next to someone, while the thought of laying next to most people is terrifying.

10. SheilaKathy

SheilaKathy Committed Christian Premium Member

Since I was born as both a boy and a girl, although the doctors made me into a girl when I was born, I am a walking contradiction! That answers your question, but not your POLL QUESTION.

As to symptoms, I can sometimes exhibit two opposing symptoms, such as being fidgetty and being down and sad. I'll have my head down on the table in front of me (maybe almost crying), but my feet will be wiggling a mile a minute!

TheBubzilla likes this.